Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 02:36 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times

Advertisements

After 2 months the dog you wanted is most likely been re-homed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 02:38 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,768,851 times
I wonder if it's a case of supply and demand? There may be so few Shi Tzu's out there and so many applications that they're being super picky. I know small pure bred dogs are always the first ones to go.

I also wonder if there is something on your application that makes them think you're not a good fit for one of their dogs. It's too bad that they don't let you know if they are for sure rejecting you and if so why.

The suggestion to contact a local Shi Tzu club is a good one. Often breeders will know of dogs that need homes due to a change in the original owner's circumstances, etc. IMO that is a rescue.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:39 PM

278 posts, read 252,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I wonder if it's a case of supply and demand? There may be so few Shi Tzu's out there and so many applications that they're being super picky. I know small pure bred dogs are always the first ones to go.

I also wonder if there is something on your application that makes them think you're not a good fit for one of their dogs. It's too bad that they don't let you know if they are for sure rejecting you and if so why.

The suggestion to contact a local Shi Tzu club is a good one. Often breeders will know of dogs that need homes due to a change in the original owner's circumstances, etc. IMO that is a rescue.
There are actually quite a few of them on my local orgs websites, unless it's bait and switch
The dog that I was trying to adopt is now on another Org's site, so I don't know what to think!
Also up to 2 weeks ago, the last time that we spoke, they were very positive souding about my
suitability, and 2 weeks is the last time that they talked to my over 30 year friend, and also a
former rescue group person, so they were really impressed with that! Don't know if they dropped the
ball due to their financial troubles??????

I wrote to the local Shih Tzu fancy club and asked them for a recomendation, so let's see if they write back!

Old 09-17-2015, 03:52 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,279,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaProf View Post
Problem is that our local organizations are the ones that ignored my application! I would have to go far out of my area, and not having a car, makes it supper hard! These orgs have adoption fairs all the time, and our local paper always laments that these pets need good homes, and this is what they do with their applicants
I understand. Have you tried organizations that operate by foster homes only? Maybe they can bring the pet to meet you.

Without transportation, it'll be hard to adopt. Some might even reject you if they found out, assuming no car means your dog won't be able to be treated by a vet if it become sick.

I used to volunteer for rescues. I had witness behind the scene things that made me question what is a legitimate rescue anymore. Fyi, the definition of "good home" is different for some rescues. The problem is, you want a dog that is in high demand in the adoption world. Yorkies, shih tzu, maltese, poodles, goldens, etc.. the younger they are, the more applications they get. It becomes a competition between adopters. The rescue picks the best of them all. It could be someone retired, wealthy, large yard or a past, generous donor. It's almost like buying a house nowadays. A beautiful, upgraded home will sell quickly and over the asking price. The seller only cares about his bottomline.

My other suggestion is to be open minded. Go to your local shelter if you can walk there. Or pick a small dog mutt. You might find something even better.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:12 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
We get someone on this board every couple months who is being put through the wringer by a rescue.There are a lot of poorly run rescues that give the good ones a bad name. Some of them are understaffed and can't handle the volume and others are just run by people working out their personal issues through animal rescue (c'mon, you know it's true).

Definitely contact a breeder's group. If you are open to a puppy mill rescue, I would get in touch with some of those rescue orgs.

Also, consider looking outside your area. There are many rescues that work with transport caravans staffed by volunteers. My best friend got both of her coonhounds that way - one came from Michigan and the other came from somewhere down south, I believe. There will be rescue transports going through the NYC area, I'm sure. My Catahoula arrived in Denver on a van run by an organization called "GHART."

You may want to contact some of these transport orgs serving your area as they might be able to connect you with some rescues.

Also, contact the vets in your area to ask if they could advise you in your search.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:32 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,920,805 times
i have scooped dogs and cats off the road, most of my life. The Animal Controls/rescues I Have tried to deal with wanted my first born, which is a lot more than any dog breeder ever asked for.

The last go-round with animal control was when they said they had to come to my farm and inspect my house and backyard fence. This after I had shown them pictures.

I told them to never mind. I would just wait for the next big dog to get dumped on my road and instead of calling them, I would take it in. And that is just what I did

Old 09-17-2015, 05:36 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,990,377 times
Quote:
I have been dealing 2 months already with this rescue organization trying to adopt a dog, and it's just so frustrating! I fully understand that they want to investigate to make sure that the dog goes to a good home, but they make it so darn hard
I also applied with organizations that never even answered my applications! I am seriously getting burnt out on this whole process!

So the one that I'm dealing with now, has made me jump through hoops of fire for months, and now it's two weeks and dead silence I just sent them an email asking for an updated status!

I read that they were having financial problems, and the dog the I'm trying to adopt is now linked to another rescue Org, unless they are part of the same place????? Don't know what to do or think

I'm stuck, my local ASPCA only seems to have large dogs, and I'm interested in adopting a specific type of small dog, plus they are super far away from me, and I don't have a car. Right now, i don't have anyone to ask, and I don't want to spend big bucks on car service, if they don't have what I'm looking for.

I so want to open my heart and home to a fur baby, and I'm 100% committed to adopting, but shessh! They make it so darn hard! And call me paranoid, but I don't want my personal business with a 1001
orginizations

Any suggestions?????
Have you contacted the other rescue in your area that has the dog you wanted?

Have you asked to meet the other Shih Tzus? What was the rescue's response?

Pet finder shows several Shih Tzus up for adoption with three different Staten Island rescues:
https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search...breed=Shih+Tzu

There are multiple other Shih Tzus in other boroughs including Manhattan and Brooklyn.You may need to broaden out your search area.

You can fall in love with a picture on a rescue site, but bottom line is that you need to meet any prospective dogs you are interested in; you don't know until you meet the dog if you will "click" or if you will even like the dog once you meet them. My suggestion is to pick a day and make appointments to see the dogs in other rescues; this way you can do meet n' greets in different areas on the same day to limit traveling.

You may need to be a little bit flexible- maybe consider an older dog or be open to either male or female, etc. Or maybe consider a small fluffy mixed breed.

Rescues are staffed by volunteers who themselves have obligations and busy lives, so maybe they just haven't had a chance to get back to you. Hopefully they will respond to your latest email request for an update.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 09-17-2015 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 08:03 PM

138 posts, read 233,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
There are a lot of poorly run rescues that give the good ones a bad name. Some of them are understaffed and can't handle the volume and others are just run by people working out their personal issues through animal rescue (c'mon, you know it's true).
That is so true and they have no one to blame but themselves. I would recommend anyone who is serious about trying to adopt through a rescue or even trying to get status as an approved home for the future be clear right from the beginning by writing on your application that you expect communication on the status of your application weekly (or whatever time frame you are comfortable with); otherwise, you will look elsewhere. If they are professional and above-board, they should take no offense to that.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:27 AM

278 posts, read 252,623 times
Update:
The rescue group got back to me, told me that I was a top 3 consideration, but some one else got it! Ok, but this dog is another rescue site as available????? Let's see what they say to that! They asked if I would work with them again, I said no thanks, as they work way too slow, and dealing with them left a bad taste with me!

To the poster that sent me links, some of those orgs, never got back to me after filling aps with them! Also I don't want my personal info all over the place like that, so at this point, I don't want to fill anything else out, until, I'm sure that I'm dealing with something for real! I'm very burnt out by all of this! Also these orgs in SI, have these dogs in foster, and don't let you get anywhere near them! They tell you if your app. is finally approved, then, you'll get to meet them! And of course, that's if they ever get back to you!

The Shih Tzu fancy club got back to me with a recomndation for a rescue org in PA. I will write to them, and see if they transport to NY.

I will keep open, keep trying, maybe take a small break from all of this, I'm tired!

Old 09-18-2015, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 900 times
Quote:
Update:

To the poster that sent me links, some of those orgs, never got back to me after filling aps with them! Also I don't want my personal info all over the place like that, so at this point, I don't want to fill anything else out, until, I'm sure that I'm dealing with something for real! I'm very burnt out by all of this! Also these orgs in SI, have these dogs in foster, and don't let you get anywhere near them! They tell you if your app. is finally approved, then, you'll get to meet them! And of course, that's if they ever get back to you!

I will keep open, keep trying, maybe take a small break from all of this, I'm tired!
I HATE this. Seriously, why spend all that time filling out applications when you're not even allowed to meet the animal? I get trying to find a good match, but there's gotta be a better way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs