Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:13 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,690,312 times

Advertisements

5 years now of having to literally having to yell roughly every 15 minutes at my mixed breed dog to quit biting, quit chewing, quit scratching, quit licking. 5 years of not having a job because if shes left alone she licks, chews, and scratches until shes covered in her own blood. 5 years of having to sleep in about 20-30 minute increments before we're woken up to the bed shaking and jumping because of her biting and licking. 5 years now of seeing multiple vets who all say "duh, i dunno" and 5 years of eating practically bread and water so we can buy her the "good food thatll make her stop doing all that" (yeah right).

5 effing years...Happy Anniversary to me (and thats just the story about the dog)

Rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 01:23 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Ben gay would have stopped 90% of that! The elcheapo brand at Family Dollar cost $1. Use the ben gay on You and the things she chews on. BTW EXERCISE works wonders for self chewing.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:25 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,563,103 times
We had a dog years ago who did things like this. We took her to several vets, and no help.
Finally, found a vet that suggested giving her high-grade fish oil.
It worked! She quit the scratching and biting, and her fur improved greatly.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:23 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,990,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
5 years now of having to literally having to yell roughly every 15 minutes at my mixed breed dog to quit biting, quit chewing, quit scratching, quit licking. 5 years of not having a job because if shes left alone she licks, chews, and scratches until shes covered in her own blood. 5 years of having to sleep in about 20-30 minute increments before we're woken up to the bed shaking and jumping because of her biting and licking. 5 years now of seeing multiple vets who all say "duh, i dunno" and 5 years of eating practically bread and water so we can buy her the "good food thatll make her stop doing all that" (yeah right).

5 effing years...Happy Anniversary to me (and thats just the story about the dog)

Rant over
As unhappy as you are, your dog is even more miserable, poor pup.

Clearly something is very wrong with your pup; there are multiple things that might help, but you didn't ask for help. When you decide to stop complaining about how badly YOU are inconvenienced by your dog's misery, we will all be happy to offer suggestions, some of which might actually help.

PS: Just because you are feeding her "the good stuff" doesn't mean that is the right food for her.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:18 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
As unhappy as you are, your dog is even more miserable, poor pup.

Clearly something is very wrong with your pup; there are multiple things that might help, but you didn't ask for help. When you decide to stop complaining about how badly YOU are inconvenienced by your dog's misery, we will all be happy to offer suggestions, some of which might actually help.

PS: Just because you are feeding her "the good stuff" doesn't mean that is the right food for her.
Yeah, high-end food doesn't always mean better for every dog. My Catahoula was getting one of the best-rated grain-free foods and was farting TERRIBLY all the time. Switched him to Costco grain-free, a food with an ok rating but not amazing, and he is doing great on it.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:04 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times
Quote:

Rant over
I feel your pain but your dog is obviously beyond miserable. And your yelling at her only increases her misery. Imagine how you'd feel if your body constantly itched so severely that you could not stop scratching and that everyone around you yelled at you to stop. Like that could make you stop.

What you describe is often extremely challenging for traditional vets to resolve. Find a good holistic vet and I am confident that vet will be able to fix the problem and alleviate your poor dog's misery. And your own.

Find a Holistic Veterinarian | American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association

Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,768,851 times
Quote:

Rant over
Has she been to a Dermatologist? Have you tried prednisone? Is she on antihistamines if not? I know steroids have side effects but IMO it sounds like there is no quality of life for you or your pet so I would not hesitate to use steroids if that was the only thing that worked and just leave her on them. IMO no point in having a dog who is that uncomfortable live a long life.

If nothing works and she's miserable then for me it wold be a quality of life issue. As much as I love my dogs, I would not let them keep me from earning a living.

ETA: Ben gay is usually used for arthritis pain not to relieve itching. I have no clue if it's safe for dogs so I would NOT try it without talking to a vet. I also don't think it would be good on skin that is already irritated and/or has open sores. I think applying it would be painful. Finally, I believe it contains aspirin so you would need to be careful of dosage.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:38 AM

166 posts, read 790,422 times
I can't believe your Vet. hasn't recommended Apoquel. My dog had the same thing going on. We tried everything you name it. Our Vet. gave our dog Apoquel and within a week she stopped scratching and biting. She has been on it and we have had no problems, and a good nights sleep. We also have a friend in NJ who was having the same problem with her dog. It was biting herself raw, and bleeding. We told her about Apoquel, she got it from her Vet. and she said it stopped within a week and she is healing up from all the biting and scratching.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:56 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
5 years of things obviously NOT working...

1: that kind of scratching and biting is not normal...
have you had an allergy panel done...switching foods to a "good food" is all well and good but without knowing exactly what shes allergic to its useless, my girl is highly allergic to corn and soy....so we switched her to a corn and soy free diet...but her issues continued....turned out she was allergic to "CHICKEN" so we removed the chicken...then turned out she was allergic to pretty much ALL meat...so we put her on fish...couldn't afford fish and then one day I was processing a chicken (we raise our own meat as much as possible) and she got a piece that fell, I prepared for the worse, but magically no allergic response...
turns out shes NOT allergic to chicken or beef or pork...shes allergic to the CORN AND SOY the chicken, pork, beef ect are being fed before being turned into food.
switched her to a prey model raw diet with the meat we raise ourselves on a corn and soy free diet, and to meat raised locally on pasture (no corn or soy) and to wild game and all her allergy issues stopped...switched our other dogs and cats to the same diet and saw the same positive results....
also remember a dog can be allergic to grass, pollen, scotchguard, dust, fleas, carpet cleaners, laundry detergents...you need to know WHY shes itching before you can stop the itching and if no allergy panel has been suggested id be finding a new vet cause that would have been my 1st suggestion....

2: has she had skin scrapings for other issues, ermitits, mange, ringworm, fungus, mites, ect...

3: has the vet given her any medication for the itching, heck even a childrens Benadryl would be something.

4: YELLING DOESNT HELP...its not her fault shes itching enough to self mutilate...how wouldyou fel if someone yelled at you becaue you had a mosquito bite that was driving you crazy?!

5: crate train and you wouldn't have the bed shaking every 30 mins lol

I know your frustrated and its just a rant, I know you've put up with this for 5 long years and I give you SERIOUS props for not dumping her because of it (many would have gotten frustrated and just left her at a shelter) so THANK YOU or keeping at this...
but please remember, its not her fault.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:21 AM

811 posts, read 1,558,065 times
Get that poor dog to a dermatologist fast. I know how frustrating it is for you, trust me, I've been there, but there is help if go to the right type of vet. She must be nearly insane with all the itching poor baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs