Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 04:26 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,585,087 times

Advertisements

I am at odds here, the advice offered has given me an answer to solve Leo's situation.
Thanks everyone who offered their opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 06:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,435,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I am at odds here, the advice offered has given me an answer to solve Leo's situation.
Thanks everyone who offered their opinions.
To just say "dog" is painting with a wide bush.

Dogs are very different...........blood lines even makes a difference in the same breed.

I had to learn the hard way myself.

All of us here want the best for our dogs..........just like you.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:54 AM

25,898 posts, read 16,620,129 times
Quote:
I will not tether a dog, that is animal cruelty. Besides, it's illegal (thankfully) where I live.
I'm one of those people who will call Animal Advocate societies, control, etc... if I see this type of human behavior.

Why would I want to tether a dog whose gigantic, needs to run, and has multiple acreage in which to do so?

Please don't answer that question.
HAHA, you have a huge dog that runs for "acres" but you are worried about the neighbors giving him a few table scraps? Do you know what your dog is probably eating on his safaris in those "acres"?

This is too funny.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:11 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,429,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
HAHA, you have a huge dog that runs for "acres" but you are worried about the neighbors giving him a few table scraps? Do you know what your dog is probably eating on his safaris in those "acres"?

This is too funny.
Rabbits Rats Mice Cats groundhogs birds bird eggs poo

The last place my horse was board the girl rescued a GP Beautiful dog He ate everything I just named + things we didn't See him eat. Those dogs are Not true pets they are bred to Guard the sheep for Days on end Not seeing a human & have to Kill to survive. Kill to protect their Herd! I dought their bodies are really capable of Digesting Man Made Factory Dog Food. Me this dog be on a RAW Diet. Your neighbor may know Excatly what she doing Maybe even feed your dog a whole Lot better than you are.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:46 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,707,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Rabbits Rats Mice Cats groundhogs birds bird eggs poo

The last place my horse was board the girl rescued a GP Beautiful dog He ate everything I just named + things we didn't See him eat. Those dogs are Not true pets they are bred to Guard the sheep for Days on end Not seeing a human & have to Kill to survive. Kill to protect their Herd! I dought their bodies are really capable of Digesting Man Made Factory Dog Food. Me this dog be on a RAW Diet. Your neighbor may know Excatly what she doing Maybe even feed your dog a whole Lot better than you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U

Old 09-30-2015, 04:17 PM

20,134 posts, read 16,246,504 times
At least she likes him and isn't throwing rocks at him. Honestly, unless he had medical issues I just wouldn't worry about it. My big dog ate all kinds of crap through the years, despite my best efforts, including chocolate and wild vermin. Until a couple of months ago he was doing great. He is at least 15 now, maybe older.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:33 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

This is too funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
At least she likes him and isn't throwing rocks at him. Honestly, unless he had medical issues I just wouldn't worry about it. My big dog ate all kinds of crap through the years, despite my best efforts, including chocolate and wild vermin. Until a couple of months ago he was doing great. He is at least 15 now, maybe older.
When I had my acreage in upstate NY I walked it every day and knew what was and wasn't on it. Not all dogs freely scavenge whatever is at hand. The worst thing I ever found was the usual deer and turkey poo and the occasional dead critter, but nothing that would be out of hand toxic or overtly dangerous to my dogs. At any rate, I wouldn't want anyone giving my dogs food or treats, especially someone who is clearly not all there. All it takes is for her to give him something fatty to cause pancreatitis, or something he can't digest to cause a blockage, or for her to give pup something that is downright dangerous (or toxic) like a cooked chicken bone to kill him.

FWIW, just because she isn't throwing rocks doesn't make it right that she is feeding someone else's dog without their permission.

The OP has determined an entirely reasonable set of boundaries for what he considers appropriate for his dog, a dog he knows better than any of us. I am not sure why this has become such an issue.

Addendum: IMHO, it is downright rude and ignorant for anyone to offer someone else's pet food without the owner's express permission. I don't care if it is a neighbor or a stranger.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 09-30-2015 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 PM

Twelve Paws... IF the owner was Really worried about the neighbor feeding the dog he should Say So to the Neighbor. Instead he plans to Build a Wall. When I was a Teen the people down the block pulled the same BS on an elderly lady Put up a huge Privacy fence. You want to know what she kept saying to me WHY? She was Hurt that no one talked to her about it. I asked the dd she told me the bitty next door was Nosey they didn't like it cause she would sit on her back porch. She sit on the back porch cause she had Beautiful Prize willing flowers...she babied them flowers. I give her this she shared them also Always gave flowers to neighbors on birthdays & Anniversery etc. There was NO excuse for them to treat her like that. No reason they couldn't have talked to her instead they had the kids treating her badly.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,585,087 times
One...more...time.
Please let this thread die. I am going with Twelvepaw, Lee has fence away from her/offenser, coming this weekend.

Last edited by TerraDown; 09-30-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
One...more...time.
Leo is a Great Pyr. He is an inside dog, only let out to poop, pee, and run for 15 minutes at his age.
Of you who won't read the entire thread, please quit responding.
And no-one even thinks of throwing rocks at my dog. What? where did that even come from?
Please, can this thread just die. Twelvepaws gave me a great solution, which will happen this weekend.

And you cant be outside with him for 15 mins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs