Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 09:34 AM

439 posts, read 961,258 times

Advertisements

Hi..

My 6 month old Siberian/GSD all of a sudden has become a real finicky eater. He used to devour his food which is Earth Born Holistic Grain Free Chicken puppy food which I add warmed chicken broth. He will run around it and take some bites then totally leave it. I have tried to add other meat like lean ground beef however he soon tires of it and leaves again. He will however eat treats when offered.

As he is a puppy still and probably larger bone I am eager to maintain an appropriate diet. We have another senior shepherd dog with a different diet and Rudy will try and eat his which we discourage.

On several occasions lately he has thrown up in the morning. Having shepherds and their testy digestive systems I am attributing this to lack of food in his system as it is mainly light liquid. I have tried to add something pungent like yogurt, yellow cheese to entice him to no avail. He will start crying like he is hungry, when I put some food in a bowl he will ignore.

Any suggestions? I want to feed the best to avoid all he fillers and worthless ingredients. Of course I would immediately take him to the vet if he turned his nose up totally to food like treats or scraps.

This is our first youngster, we got him as a rescue at 2 months. Full of energy, he has all his new teeth, sleeps wells just wont eat?

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 09:48 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,887,954 times
Vet.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:05 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,281,547 times
I second the suggestion of going to the vet.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:28 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,384,689 times
Definitely schedule a vet check to rule out any underlying causes. He could just be going through a finicky stage, but any time a change in habit occurs and the cause isn't overtly obvious, it's best to get him seen by a qualified vet. I know, it can cost $$ to see a vet for something that might just be 'nothing', but it's much better to be safe than to wait and find out there actually is something physical going on. From what you wrote, if this were my pup, I'd definitely have him checked out asap, as your description (to me) raises some red flags.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:29 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,136,344 times
I’d also recommend the vet. When I fostered rescue puppies, there was a homemade mix that was good for young puppies who didn’t eat well, but it’s hard to imagine a six month old not gulping down food. Up to date on shots?

Old 04-27-2019, 11:07 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
How is his weight?

You can take him to the vet for a check-up; make sure he doesn't have a blockage. He sounds healthy enough so probably you are over-feeding him.

I've owned several shepherds who kept themselves in fighting trim and wouldn't eat more than they needed. None of my shepherds has ever been very food motivated. They were much more interested in learning something new, then after that, they valued praise, with food treats a far distance third.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I’d also recommend the vet. When I fostered rescue puppies, there was a homemade mix that was good for young puppies who didn’t eat well, but it’s hard to imagine a six month old not gulping down food. Up to date on shots?
Hi..yes he is up to date on all required shots. I have been reluctant to take him to the dog park however we did so the other day, he had a great time. I did not wish to make the same mistakes I did on our 1 year old shepherd rescue, not socializing well even though we had another dog at that time. Additionally we recently had company whom was here for a week. Maybe some anxious issues too.

I stopped by our feed and Tak store and purchased some packs of Blue Wilderness beef and gravy food supplements, added to his existing kibble and he did eat some.

Agree with all about the vet, he is probably do for a pup check.

Thanks again..

Old 04-27-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Hi..yes he is up to date on all required shots. I have been reluctant to take him to the dog park however we did so the other day, he had a great time. I did not wish to make the same mistakes I did on our 1 year old shepherd rescue, not socializing well even though we had another dog at that time. Additionally we recently had company whom was here for a week. Maybe some anxious issues too.

I stopped by our feed and Tak store and purchased some packs of Blue Wilderness beef and gravy food supplements, added to his existing kibble and he did eat some.

Thanks again..

Old 04-28-2019, 09:11 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,136,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post

Thanks again..
Hope all is well. Shepherds are a favorite breed of mine, wonderful dogs. Any growing puppy should have a robust appetite, especially the large breeds. Keep us posted.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies.

I have been reading some interesting food issues with Siberian Huskies. Seems like my comments are pretty common. Since Rudy is a GSD/Husky he probably has genetic food challenges from both breeds.

It is suggested the protein be changed every three months as they get bored very easy with their food. Also giving them treats or people food will quickly change their desire to eat their dinners when if they hold out they can get something better tasting. We have been bad there.

Additionally it was suggested to make these protein balls with meat source, eggs, cream cheese and mix with some of their kibble to create interest.

Well..good grief. He has an appointment with our vet tomorrow. He does appear to be on the thinner side however he is growing too.

We will see..hopefully not anything bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs