Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:50 AM

32,782 posts, read 48,565,799 times

Advertisements

Dog bed? Wyatt McRiot has one right next to my son's bed and he has another one on a raised platform at the front window so he can watch out the window.

All the dogs share the cushions under the table that my computer is on.

The Papillons have a dog crate at the foot of my bed, but they sleep on my bed. They also have a dog crate and a nice cushy bed by the sliding glass door, with a dog door going out to a safe kennel. That is arranged so that Wyatt McRiot can't get in and they can get away from him.

There is a small dog bed in front of the wood stove. Two of the dogs like to lie right in front of a fire and toast their hides.

I suggest that you try different spots and see if one of them pleases the dog more. I'm going to guess that she wants to be in your bedroom at night and she wants to be close to the front door when you are away from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 AM

32,782 posts, read 48,565,799 times
Also, OP, if your dog likes dark places, get her an extra large dog crate and remove the door. Place a cushy bed inside there and she will find it and use it.

The crate can do double duty as an end table.

Every dog I've ever owned has used a crate as a cave, even if they didn't like being locked inside. If the door is open, they will use it. Don't put her in there. Just put in the bed, leave the door off, say nothing, and she will find it and use it.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:02 PM

21 posts, read 24,121 times
Thank you for the ideas. I am going to try to find a corner for her. Because of the shape of my desk and the limitation of space, I am a little challenged on where to make her the perfect spot. I cannot let her pick as she will pick the spot next to the door. Dogs are so silly sometimes and mine is no exception. The crate table sounds like a good idea too except that I am little tight on budget right now and I don't know if my impatient dog with hip problems can maneuver around in there.

I really appreciate all of your responses here. I am very nervous about this move with my dog and I have received a lot of feedback here so I feel a lot better.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:50 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,096,598 times
If you find a corner that she likes you can make her a "fort". Hang some curtains from the ceiling and make her a dark and cozy area.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,338,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toully View Post
Thank you for your replies.

I forgot to mention that I do have a bedroom and I will put a bed for her there too close to mine. It would be ideal for her to stay in the room while I work in the other room as it will be quieter and the space is private but she likes to keep an eye on me so that is why I am trying to create a space for her in my tiny work space/dining room.
Can you drag her dog bed partway thru that bedroom doorway, just during the day while you work.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:37 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,336,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Also, OP, if your dog likes dark places, get her an extra large dog crate and remove the door. Place a cushy bed inside there and she will find it and use it.

The crate can do double duty as an end table.

Every dog I've ever owned has used a crate as a cave, even if they didn't like being locked inside. If the door is open, they will use it. Don't put her in there. Just put in the bed, leave the door off, say nothing, and she will find it and use it.
This is what we have - we have a super-thick layer of foam and blankets, and we removed the door to the crate so he can come and go as he pleases. We have it in our TV room positioned in a corner that looks out over the entire room and into the kitchen area as well. He spends a lot of time in there.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:52 PM

21 posts, read 24,121 times
Dogmama's comment led me to the idea of a diy tepee. It doesn't seem that hard to make and it seems perfect for my dog to have some privacy. If I do not get around to that, I am also going to buy my dog a stroller as she can only walk 15-20 minutes but she wants to explore for hours. The stroller I am buying can be used as a crate when the wheels are off so I am planning to set that up as well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Old 11-18-2015, 05:48 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,605,970 times
My two dogs have two Coolaroo dog beds that they use all of the time. One is in my "Living room" space and the other is at the end of my bed inside of a large crate. I live in a tiny 400 sq foot studio. Before I loved here I lived in an 1100 sq foot house and the dogs had the entire down stairs when I wasn't home. Now they spend that time in their crate.

Even though they had not been created before the move they adapted well and quickly to it and chose to sleep in it even when I am home. My cat sometimes even goes in and sleeps with them.

Giving the dog a couple of options is nice and even in a small place isn't too hard. A crate is nice for the to go for some privacy and quiet while a comfy place near where you spend most of your time will let the dog be near you but not in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs