Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:41 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,522 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an opinion on phenylpropanolamine foa 14 year old mixed lab. The vet prescribed the meds 25mg 2x a day of her incontinence problem. I have read some reviews but am not sure if they are unbiased.

Also one side effect is an aggravation to the central nervous system and labs are predisposed to seizures which she has through out the day when she sleeps.

Thank you,

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 01:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Mike has your vet tried Diethylstilbestrol ( DES) for your dog? My older female Jazz has incontinence when she sleeps and my vet said we would try DES first as he does not like using the drug you are asking about so only uses it when the other does not work. The first week she got it several days in a row as a loading dose and since then gets it twice a week and it is 1 mg. It has worked great and she has had no further issues since being on it and has been on it for over a year.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:09 PM

Thank you I will look into this. Proin (phenylpropanolamine) is the first med she suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Mike has your vet tried Diethylstilbestrol ( DES) for your dog? My older female Jazz has incontinence when she sleeps and my vet said we would try DES first as he does not like using the drug you are asking about so only uses it when the other does not work. The first week she got it several days in a row as a loading dose and since then gets it twice a week and it is 1 mg. It has worked great and she has had no further issues since being on it and has been on it for over a year.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:57 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Thumbs up I love PPA (I call it the Wee Wee Pill)

I have been using Proin 50 for approx 18 yrs now and I swear by it. Two of my female rescued dogs had incontinence and I might have had to get rid of them IF NOT for this drug . Neither dog ever had any problems with this med and I would gladly use it again if and when this problem ever arises with another one of my precious companions !

Towards the end of her life (my dobie mix was close to 14) she had to take more pills and they weren't as effective like when she was younger, but such is life, being a 'senior' dog . We switched to chewable tabs early on and then bought online the last 2-3 yrs due to the quanity being used and prices that were to good to beat by our Vet's office !

p.s.
The pills are splitable. You may want to buy a higher quantity IF it will save you money over a years time. Vet's sometimes don't let you know the most cost effective way to buy meds for pets imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on phenylpropanolamine foa 14 year old mixed lab. The vet prescribed the meds 25mg 2x a day of her incontinence problem. I have read some reviews but am not sure if they are unbiased.

Also one side effect is an aggravation to the central nervous system and labs are predisposed to seizures which she has through out the day when she sleeps.

Thank you,

Mike

Old 10-29-2009, 08:47 AM

I have come across online report of dogs having stokes and sudden death with Proin use.

Does anyone have any information on that?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 21,876 times
Mike, please do not give your pet ProIn. Go to i-love-dogs.com and read about all the adverse side effects they suffer. Do a search of ProIn! I lost my beloved Jasmine 09-04-09 after taking 5 doses of this killer drug. It works in 70% of the dogs but kills the other 30%.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:13 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
OP - as an alternative, there are homeopathic remedies. They seem to work for some and not for others. However, on the upside, you have nothing to lose other than the cost. Worth a try perhaps.

HomeoPet - Safe, Gentle, Alternative

The remedy for incontinence is called "Leaks No More". Catchy, huh?

I have an incontinent dog (sleep incontinence mainly). Rather than put her on meds for the rest of her life (it started when she was +/- 5) we follow a bit of a program. Affectionately called Leaky Dog, she will leak a) during sleep, b) after she eats - I can only suspect it's the pressure from a full tum on the bladder and c) after a lot of water (full tum issue again). B & C are just manageable - i.e. she eats outside and is outside for an hour after she eats when she's most likely to leak. For "A" I use human disposable bed pads under her blanket but on top of her "mattress". If she wets during the evening, she lets me know so I can change it. If we're all asleep, she just moves to the dry side (she's about 45-50 lbs.). Currently it's not a daily occurrence so we just "manage" with a stack of $5 fleecey blankets (they dry really fast) and our disposable pads.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 14,638 times
hi Mike. just read this and see it's 3 years old. what did you end up doing? my vet prescribed phenylpropanolamine 25mg / twice per day about a month ago for my 14 year old husky/lab, which is essentially the same medication. it has done wonders for her incontinence but she is acting strange. she shakes sometimes which she never did before. and when i go to kitchen she runs away. i give her pill in peanut butter so she can't resist but i think her running away may be a sign she doesn't want it and it's not good for her. not sure what to do but i'll try changing meds i think. worried about her

Old 06-30-2013, 04:29 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I know this is an ancient thread but as far as I know Proin (phenylpropanolamin) is really safe. I've used it on a couple of dogs, and researched it first each time, as I do with any med or supplement.

I just did another search and found plenty of unsubstantiated "OMG it's a killer drug" threads on forums from several years ago, but nothing substantiated or cited.

Mike if you have concerns, talk to your vet about them. I've had dogs dislike quite benign and beneficial supplements (fish oil, certain flavors of glucosamine/joint supplements) and many if not most dogs dislike taking pills or meds generally. So just because your dog doesn't like taking it doesn't mean it's bad for her. Just as eating cat poop and other revolting things many dogs seem to enjoy isn't good for them.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 13,233 times
Neemaste,
as with any drug given to human or dog, please adjust the dosage and do not take the prescribed dosage as law. I have my 13 year old on phenylpropanolamine 25 mg. she is 77 lbs, I started her at 25 mg twice a day and cut it down to once a day. she is fine. The vet prescribed 2X 25mg twice a day. that is 100mg a day, and I feel way too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs