Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 06:38 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times

Advertisements

It's not really that odd if you actually look into it or know people with the dogs who have lived through these situation. None of them are bullet proof and many dogs have been injured or killed.
A rescue GSD working out as a guard dog would be considered an odd exception. Most rescues come from bybs, a lot of them are producing friendly fluff balls or even nerve bags.
I am meaning no discouragement towards you in acquiring one, but only to have realistic expectations. There is no guarantee it will solve your problem. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I don't know if you are on it or not but the GSD forum would be a recommendation if you are serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Just about to post the same thing, I could dig up an equal number of stories of dogs saving the day. And of course when the dog does his job and the intruder moves on, which of course happens far more often then the examples that poster has provided, that does not make the news.

None of us claimed your plan was foolproof, it's just a better plan than others suggested.
Well yes obviously no one knows the infinite amount of times criminals have moved on due to a barking dog. We will never know, I'm sure it's a lot. Some very well "saved the day" just fine when someone didn't move on but was unarmed. Typically if the intruder has a gun then the dog might be successful but still sustain serious injuries. In other cases they were unsuccessful and killed. That's the point! That's called being realistic. When I acquired guard purpose dogs I acknowledged that a serious person could kill my dogs or even if it came down to it and they did their job successfully that doesn't mean they don't come out seriously injured. It seemed that some people did not consider that. Even claiming barking GSD would be enough, which isn't always the case.
If you take into consideration the posters situation you could see how they might end up being in an exceptional situation with the pot dealer. I'm not saying don't get a dog or don't count on a dog at all. Just don't exclude the possibility that he won't shoot the dog if he has a gun, give it tainted meat or a drink of anti freeze.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:55 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
We all understand what COULD happen. But many of you are making this pot dealer into the Guadalajara Drug Cartel based on one random comment from a guy who is kind of off.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:03 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
If you posters can't understand how a barking German Shepherd would be enough to persuade a burglar to try another house then it's official, common sense does not exist on the internet.
No one with an ounce of sense is going to open a gate and walk in with a Heeler who is looking fierce with the hair up on his back and his teeth showing. That's a serious dog when he is in protection mode. If the thieves are not impresses with an angry Heeler, they aren't going to be impressed by a GSD.

A GSD guard dog looks pretty darn scary, but so does a ticked off Cattle Dog. There is already a Cattle Dog on the property and the thieves are not deterred. A different barking dog isn't going to make the difference.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:05 PM

I wasn't trying to imply that the pot dealer is a serious, extremely dangerous criminal. I know nothing about him but poisoning a dog in general isn't some great feat. There a lot of balanced post and I realize not everyone posting is an idiot. My posts are only meant as cautionary advisement for the OP and anyone else interested in guard dogs.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:35 PM

219 posts, read 313,570 times
Quote:
Good God does nobody read these posts? The bad guy does not need to recognize the GSD's bark from the inside, he will see him staring him in the face as he approaches the yard. This is a look neither a Blue Heeler or a Collie can project. Of course another poster's dog would howl to come in at night, that's because that dog comes in every night. By the end of the week this new dog will understand that he sleeps outside, then joins the family in the morning.

He is about to RESCUE a dog and give him a new life on 5 acres and other dogs as well as a loving owner. That sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
As cjmeck keeps pointing out, of all the shepherd/molosser guard dogs to perimeter guard outside and alone at night, the GSD (along with the Mal) is the worst possible choice. The dog would be absolutely miserable separated from his person at night and it makes even less sense given the number of excellent options bred specifically for that role, and who don't need the constant human interaction because they were developed to work remotely, guarding a herd without people around. What makes a GSD/mal/Dutchie such a great personal protection dog is their need to be constantly with you, not their imposing appearance. That part of their personality isn't trained into them individually, it's innate.

I doubt the rescue organization would even let you have the dog if they knew it was going to sleep outside and alone. That is a lot to expect of a GSD that almost without a doubt has spent their life thus far as someone's pet.

I still think OP should get the GSD because GSDs are awesome and they obviously want one, but let it be a shepherd and sleep inside with the heelers, and then get a different dog better suited to the guarding role outside. Plenty of huge, scary looking dogs out there who will make a thief poop their pants, and that would much rather sleep outside where it's cool and they can keep an eye on things than inside with the rest of you lot.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:30 PM

219 posts, read 313,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No one with an ounce of sense is going to open a gate and walk in with a Heeler who is looking fierce with the hair up on his back and his teeth showing. That's a serious dog when he is in protection mode. If the thieves are not impresses with an angry Heeler, they aren't going to be impressed by a GSD.

A GSD guard dog looks pretty darn scary, but so does a ticked off Cattle Dog. There is already a Cattle Dog on the property and the thieves are not deterred. A different barking dog isn't going to make the difference.
That about sums it up.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:43 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
A German Shepherd carries with it a reputation as a fierce guard dog, a reputation a Cattle Dog simply does not possess. The site of a barking Shpherd is different than the site of a Cattle Dog in my opinion. With that said the point that his Cattle Dog was described as excellent at security yet he is still getting robbed is a valid one.

Opening poster can you elaborate on this?

Old 12-24-2015, 10:23 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,714 times
Quote:
A German Shepherd carries with it a reputation as a fierce guard dog, a reputation a Cattle Dog simply does not possess. The site of a barking Shpherd is different than the site of a Cattle Dog in my opinion. With that said the point that his Cattle Dog was described as excellent at security yet he is still getting robbed is a valid one.

Opening poster can you elaborate on this?
Yeah they do look different. And GSDs have a reputation. But an ACD barking in protection mode would be a scary sight to the average burglar. ACDs are muscular and serious.

The OP is dealing with issues beyond routine burglary. Most burglars are looking for an easy mark and a substantial barking dog will send them looking elsewhere. This is obviously not the case based on the OP's posts. I doubt a dog will solve the OP's problem as even a LGB can easily be poisoned or otherwise incapacitated by a criminal or whacko intent on targeting a specific property/person.

To the OP: As I posted previously, solid (privacy) fence with electrified barbed prison wire above. Prolly need to electrify the solid fence too. If you can't fence the entire property this way then just fence the area that contains your valuables. If you can't afford it then sell one of your other properties to be able to. Since this particular property is near and dear your heart.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:18 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,156 times
Just curious, OP, do you live alone? Have you considered renting out a room, etc.. to trusted friends so you won't be by yourself if you lived alone? Those with intentions to do harm are more encouraged if they know you are alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs