Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 02:00 PM

171 posts, read 193,812 times

Advertisements

Our 4 year old Boston Terrier always humps my husband's leg (and sometimes mine) Only when we are laying in bed. He almost seems possessed when he does it. We yell at him and move him away but he seems obsessive about it and keeps coming back....He will stop and lick his leg and then start up again. We have to put him in his crate when he are intimate because he will try and join in. Humping and licking in places he shouldn't (I won't go into detail on that). He is fixed so I don't think it's sexual or could it still be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 03:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
I think the smell of the bedding probably has something to do with it. The sense of smell is very powerful in dogs, after all. If he's not neutered, this could be adding to the problem.Yelling is only going to make him nervous, and nervousness can cause dogs to hump too, making the problem worse. Really you're best off to make his crate very comfy and have him sleep in there.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:39 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I was going to ask if he was neutered, because that could be part of the problem.

It isn't just dogs. Cats can be quite.... curious about intimacy. Best to keep them in another room temporarily, if possible.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:50 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
If he's 4 years old he's been doing this for a while. You need to have a zero tolerance. Some people allow this thinking it's cute but then it gets annoying.
Do not tolerate this behavior at all. Put him in a time out every single time he does it. Do not yell at him. Tell him in a firm voice "NO" and move him away and then ignore him. If he comes back move him away again with the same firm NO or give him a time out in his crate or separate room.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:57 PM

BTW, all humping is excessive IMO.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:20 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
BTW, all humping is excessive IMO.
But But..they are animals simply responding to their hormones...habits..In the animal kingdom..males always or at least try to show possession or dominance...However, neutering decreases such activity...

Anyway...just human males..male dogs if get their external geniality stimulated..will respond...Just correct this response..and be consistent..and eventually it will stop...

I also noted males , even after neutering will continue to scratch/kickback/mark their territory...Sometimes frustrating..sometime's telling of what they were doing..thus understanding

Unfortunately pups doing this get's giggled at..thus never get corrected until it becomes annoying..which is usually many many months..thus imprinted ...hard to undo THAT IMPRINT of animal instinctual behaviour!!

If the truth be known..I wish I had my little fur buddy ( passed 4 years ago) still here and able to correct his humping behaviour

Old 01-09-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
But But..they are animals simply responding to their hormones...habits..In the animal kingdom..males always or at least try to show possession or dominance...However, neutering decreases such activity...

Anyway...just human males..male dogs if get their external geniality stimulated..will respond...Just correct this response..and be consistent..and eventually it will stop...

I also noted males , even after neutering will continue to scratch/kickback/mark their territory...Sometimes frustrating..sometime's telling of what they were doing..thus understanding

Unfortunately pups doing this get's giggled at..thus never get corrected until it becomes annoying..which is usually many many months..thus imprinted ...hard to undo THAT IMPRINT of animal instinctual behaviour!!

If the truth be known..I wish I had my little fur buddy ( passed 4 years ago) still here and able to correct his humping behaviour
Every dog I've ever had has come from a rescue and all as adults. Male dogs that are neutered still may have this habit but they quickly learn not to hump by doing what I suggested. You can't allow a dog to do this sometimes because you think it's cute and then get upset with them because they do it when it's not appropriate or it becomes annoying. You have to be consistent. You don't need to be mean about it, just be consistent in letting him know it's not acceptable and it will stop.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:46 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Every dog I've ever had has come from a rescue and all as adults. Male dogs that are neutered still may have this habit but they quickly learn not to hump by doing what I suggested. You can't allow a dog to do this sometimes because you think it's cute and then get upset with them because they do it when it's not appropriate or it becomes annoying. You have to be consistent. You don't need to be mean about it, just be consistent in letting him know it's not acceptable and it will stop.
I agree 100% but let me add that the dog needs to be told "no" and not have a conversation like you would with a child. I see people doing this with their leashed dog "Oh, baby, don't do that." Yeah, that will work, not.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:14 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Put him Out side the Bedroom & Close the Door!

Old 01-10-2016, 09:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Toby the neutered Maltese (5-6 years old) humps Lucy The Bichon 14 years old and twice his size after they come inside from EVERY SINGLE walk. They both are happy and excited . Toby gets told NO and discouraged but it still happens. She is getting arthritic and I hate for her to have to deal with this. Suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs