Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:45 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilydopip View Post
Bark collar?
Not on a puppy..........ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 06:58 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times
Even Australian shepherd puppies are going to have a lot of energy. They are in general a very energetic breed who will need stimulation and exercise all of their life. They are herding dogs, so they will want to herd you, children, etc by instinct and so they need a "job" to do. I think it's a great idea to go to your parents backyard as often as possible (even daily if you can). Run around with the puppy, throw a ball for him to chase as much as you can. Usually these dogs love chasing balls because it's a "job" to them, which they crave/need. You can do this in the apartment too if you have a big enough space. Kong's with a treat inside are a good stimulation exercise for the dog. Also they make dog puzzles specifically for breeds who need a lot of stimulation.

You say you're taking him out in a bag during the day while you walk your other dog. This is great (and is good mental stimulation for him to smell the smells and see the sights) but is doing nothing for his body to tire him out physically, which he needs. This is why he's up at 1am crying, is that he's not physically tired.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:25 AM

231 posts, read 334,835 times
Thank you for all the replies. Just a quick update. I took her to my parents' house in the morning as she was on my face and pulling on my hair while I read this post on my phone. I left her there for an hour as I took my other dog for a car ride and to spend some time with her. Just when the puppy was about to fall asleep, I picked her up and came home. I put her in the crate and she whined a little bit and not too loudly as she done before and now she is asleep in her crate. When should I open the door? When she is awake? Also, is it okay to leave water in a crate? She drinks frequently in tiny amounts but I'm afraid she might accidentally drown herself.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:30 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
Thank you for all the replies. Just a quick update. I took her to my parents' house in the morning as she was on my face and pulling on my hair while I read this post on my phone. I left her there for an hour as I took my other dog for a car ride and to spend some time with her. Just when the puppy was about to fall asleep, I picked her up and came home. I put her in the crate and she whined a little bit and not too loudly as she done before and now she is asleep in her crate. When should I open the door? When she is awake? Also, is it okay to leave water in a crate? She drinks frequently in tiny amounts but I'm afraid she might accidentally drown herself.
Our crate has a hook that the water bowl slides into so the bowl is a few inches off the floor.

https://www.chewy.com/dog/midwest-st...y-fit/dp/50142

Old 02-01-2016, 08:57 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times
Yes, it's a great idea to put water in the crate. Having your dog eat/drink in there will make it so that the dog doesn't want to go to the bathroom in there, which is what you want. The crate should feel like the dog's safe, happy place. Having the dog eat their meals in there will help it feel like it's a happy place. Your dog should always have access to water wherever she is.

Leave the dog in there for awhile. It's important that she gets used to being in her crate. When you let her out, don't make a big deal of it (don't be too excited to see her, because you'll be sending the signal to her that getting out of the crate is something worth celebrating, which will only cause her to whine/bark more when she's in there). Just open the door silently and walk away, letting her come out at her own pace.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Follow these steps exactly. The key is to let them know that whining will not get them out of the crate. Never use the crate as punishment.

Crate Training : The Humane Society of the United States

Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
You want to work up to 8+ hours in crate (for overnight) so I would open it before she whines to be let out. As Threewolves said these herding dogs are smart & manipulative...females even more so than males--they seem to be smarter earlier. If they can they will get you trained to do their bidding. She will not have an accident in her crate unless it truly is an accident, if it becomes her safe spot she will seek it.

I crate pups if unexpected company or deliveryman arrives so they don't think they need to bark or get involved. It us a safe time out.

&Get a shallower water dish.
Very young pups like yours sometimes like to sleep cuddled up to a hot water bottle--once they get into the chew everything apart teething stage --not great idea. At that stage get lots of little rawhide twisted chew sticks.

Praise behavior you like. Try to carefully adjust behavior you do not like. Try not to yell unless it is serious harm situation. Some dogs think loud reprimand means let's bark louder because we're communicating. I allow my border collies to bark if there's a reason & then I say ok enough.

She's a beauty.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:46 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
You want to work up to 8+ hours in crate (for overnight) so I would open it before she whines to be let out.
I wouldn't crate more than 5 hours if possible except for overnight. At night the dog's body functions slow down so 8 hours isn't an issue.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:43 PM

231 posts, read 334,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post

I remained sane by telling myself she will not be a puppy forever and sadly our 14.5 yrs together passed much to fast.She was my once in a lifetime dog and I know I will never have another one like her.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I hope to have a special bond with her just like you did with your dog. Having a new puppy is great but it does make me think about the days when my other dog was a puppy and it makes me a little sad.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:55 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilydopip View Post
Bark collar?
You can NOT use a bark collar on an 8 week old puppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs