Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:02 AM

231 posts, read 334,427 times

Advertisements

What do you use for dog beds?

Right now I am using human blankets stacked as my dog does not like her current dog bed. The dog bed is orthopedic dog bed and it is just the right size for her but I think she does not like it because it is not bigger.

I do not think the blankets provide enough support as she is older and has joint discomfort. I was looking at some beds for great danes but they go up to $300!

I am thinking about buying a cheaper memory foam dog bed or a fold up foam bed (queen size) in the $150 range. I think twin might be too narrow as my dog has long legs and she does not like hanging off. The pros of buying a dog bed is that it won't take up as much space as the queen size. The cons of buying a dog bed is that if my dog does not like her dog bed I am basically stuck with another dog bed that I do not have a use for (I finally did find a use for her current dog bed - my puppy plays on it and tries to pull out the fabric).

Are there any other alternatives or are these my best choices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
So, put the blankets that your dog does like on the existing bed. That may help her transition to using the current bed. You could also roll up one of the blankets to place around one of the edges as a bolster/pillow for her.
If the bed is the right size and a good material, then I would let her make the choice of whether to sleep on it or not.

You can "encourage" her to use it though by (first putting puppy away) leaving high value treats on it for her or tossing her a treat whenever she shows any interest in the bed, sniffing it, moving toward or onto the bed.

I wouldn't necessarily look at getting another bed, and be careful about projecting reasons why you think she doesn't like it.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:27 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
My husband likes a rock-hard mattress, and I put twin size foam toppers on my side. Last year I decided to splurge when I replaced the old one, and get a name-brand 4" thick memory foam topper instead of the thinner ones I'd been getting. It didn't turn out as well as I expected, and after a couple of weeks I wound up giving that one to our dogs and getting a thinner one again for myself. I think it was in the 100-150 dollar range, and it's plenty big for 2 60 pound dogs.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:29 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
But, are you sure it's the size of the bed that bothers her? Some dogs prefer a puffier bed they can nest in, or a bolster bed. You can let her try them out at the pet supply store.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:36 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Some dogs can be picky about beds.My brother had a dog that had the large square bed from Costco it got old so they bought him a new one but it was round. Pretty much the same bed just a different shape and he refused to use it.I too had just gotten my dogs a new bed from Costco. I would have rather had the round one but all they had were square ones and my dogs were fine with that.

I told my brother next time I visited we could swap beds which we did and that made his dog very happy to have a new bed.
if you are a Costco member check there as they can have some nice large dog beds for a fraction of the price.I even have an orthopedic one I bought there back when Chaos had the back injury.What they carry in the stores frequently changes but it is worth the look.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:51 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
You can use a crib mattress or a twin size mattress. Put a mattress protector on it and use sheets which can be washed.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:30 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I went to OLLIE'S They sell Foam. Katie has a 4" thick foam Lady's is 3" You can buy them in different sizes. Dog beds are CRAP Least little bit of weight its like laying on the Hard Floor!

Old 02-12-2016, 05:55 PM

19,826 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Costco has some great dog beds for a fraction of what you would pay elsewhere. I'm not sure there is one large enough for your dog as that can be hit or miss, check Costco.com as well. Don't worry about your dog not liking it and getting stuck with it. They have a GREAT return policy. Online purchases can be easily returned to the store as well.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:04 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
My dogs have plastic beds in an oval shape. The beds have several layers of either vet bed or the older Costco dog blankets that were fleece on one side and tough upholstery fabric on the other (sorry, but Costco stopped selling those years ago)

I've got one memory foam bed that is nice and cushy with bolsters on their sides. The dogs like that one, but I don't know if it is because of the bed or because that is the bed in front of the wood stove where they like to lay. (That came from BiMart, if you happen to live where there is a BiMart)

Most of the larger dog beds come with cedar stuffing. I won't buy a cedar bed because some dogs are allergic and even if they aren't allergic, cedar gives off tiny furry splinters that are irritating.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 02-13-2016 at 11:02 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 10:46 AM

231 posts, read 334,427 times
Hi, thank you for the replies. I have bought Costco dog beds in the past and I always ended up replacing them in 6 months or so. This time I wanted to buy a nice bed hoping I don't have to buy another one. The bolster sofa beds seem very nice and it is something I think my dog will like as she likes a place to rest her head on. But they are so expensive and I could not find one at Home Goods big enough. I bought the biggest bed which is an egg crate foam dog bed which seems too soft but I am hoping my dog will at least use it. She at my parents' for the weekend but when she comes back, I hope that she will like it.

The current dog bed is firm so I like it but I had for few months and my dog won't use it so I don't think I am going to coax her into liking the bed as I am sure she has her reasons.

If she does not like it, I could return it and buy the fold up mattress or the memory foam bed on amazon. The twin size might be better than the queen but she just has very long legs and she does not really curl up when she sleeps. She likes to be sprawled out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs