Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:39 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Ditch the puppy pads. Your dog needs to learn that it's never ok to eliminate indoors.
I agree whole-heartedly at this comment. I've never used a pee pad and never will.

OP, you answered your own question about toilet training "If I get distracted and don't take him out at about hour intervals, he will just pee where ever he is. No searching, or signs of distress."

You CAN'T take your mind or eyes off a puppy for a minute when you know it's getting near the time they will have to pee again. Just take him outside again and again. AND again. It is draining and exhausting and time consuming, but SO well worth it when they finally "get" it.

Enjoy your Havanese! A friend of mine just got one and they are SO SWEET! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 10:45 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Actually using the Pads Will Not keep him from being trained to go outside. Will Not teach him to Potty anywhere he wants to in the house.

I Do Agree You need to Train him to be Quiet!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:29 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
sometime a can with coins that you shake so he does not see you may startle him. Then he forgets to cry and thinks the noise is because of him. also he just may outgrown it when he gets bigger

Old 03-01-2016, 09:32 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
sometime a can with coins that you shake so he does not see you may startle him. Then he forgets to cry and thinks the noise is because of him. also he just may outgrown it when he gets bigger
That's old school doesn't really work. Just Scares the dog who instead of being Quiet Howls now in Fear.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:34 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
An update. I have taken out the puppy pad, and there has been no problem. I just take him out frequently. He knows to go as soon as he gets out. I won't say that the puppy pad wasn't necessary, though. In the first few weeks, he would pee without warning. One time, he was drinking water, ran suddenly to the pee pad, then back to drinking water. There's no way to mange that kind of urgency with going outside. But as he has gotten bigger, I think his bladder control has improved. He has not had an accident inside for well over a week.

As far as the whining and howling, I think it is getting a little better. He is gradually doing it less. I think I just have to keep at the "I don't respond when you do that" approach. By the way, he seems to have no interest in the kong, even when it is stuffed. I have started giving him a treat every time he goes into the crate, as well as saying the work "crate" as an investment in his long term attitude for it. Hopefully, he will eventually go into it when asked, rather than being placed in, but I think he will have to get a little older. (He does go into the crate while playing, but he wouldn't go in on command at this time.)

Things are improving. Its just slow, and a lot of work, but he is learning. So I imagine we will be OK. Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs