Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 10:54 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times

Advertisements

My 12 year old Boston Terrier was having problems with urinary incontinence, so her vet started her on Incurin, and it has pretty much solved that problem. My problem now is that fecal incontinence has started, and the only thing I can trace it to is the Incurin, or the Greenies Pill Pockets. After looking at the ingredients on the Pill Pockets I notice the second ingredient is glycerin, so now I'm wondering if the glycerin could be causing the problem? It's not really poop, she still goes outside, it's more like a brown watery stain in her diaper (sorry if that's TMI ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 11:04 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
You need to Talk to the Vet.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:55 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,084 times
It could be the glycerin. Suppositories to help with constipation are made of glycerin. And, speak to your vet.

You can use other things to aid in giving her her pills besides pill pockets.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:04 PM

I did discuss it with the vet but at the time I thought maybe it was caused by the Incurin, which the vet said was unlikely. I just thought about the glycerin in the Pill Pockets yesterday, so I think I'm going to stop giving her those and see if it improves. I actually just noticed that her VeggieDent chews also contain glycerin, so I may stop those as well, she won't be happy about that.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:28 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
do cheese or maybe a baby carrot to make her happy

Old 02-25-2016, 08:21 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I did discuss it with the vet but at the time I thought maybe it was caused by the Incurin, which the vet said was unlikely. I just thought about the glycerin in the Pill Pockets yesterday, so I think I'm going to stop giving her those and see if it improves. I actually just noticed that her VeggieDent chews also contain glycerin, so I may stop those as well, she won't be happy about that.
Peanut butter makes a great piller. Completely engulfs the pill, dog has to work at swallowing and it's hard to separate the peanut butter from the pill, nearly all dogs adore peanut butter. With fussy dogs I give a dollop of peanut butter first (no pill) to get them excited about the next dollop which contains the pill. Never a failure. If you have more than one dog you can give the other dog a dollop first to induce a bit of jealousy which can distract the dog even further from caring what's in his peanut butter once he finally gets his turn. If you don't have another dog then get down on your knees to his level and eat the peanut butter yourself first. Dogs that work the food around the pill in order to spit it out will often gulp when faced with some competition.

Just make sure your peanut butter doesn't contain xylitol. A couple of off brands do.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:12 PM

Yeah I may give the peanut butter a try. My 3 year old Boston takes Apoquel everyday, and my 12 year old takes Thyrovet and Incurin everyday. Pills, pills, pills.... sigh!

Old 02-26-2016, 12:18 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,194 times
My personal peanut butter method is to use crunchy (more texture) and put a small dollop on the end of a spoon. Place pill in dollop and use kibble to bury the pill, making a kibble ball. Using more kibble, I slide the ball into the feeding dish. Seems the best way to keep the peanut butter off my fingers.

I buy a small jar as a dedicated supply.

With one dog I use Pill Pockets, but tear them into halves/quarters to just cover the pill segments. Bonus is that a bad lasts a really long time (I keep them in a sealed jar).

Old 02-26-2016, 10:54 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My 12 year old Boston Terrier was having problems with urinary incontinence, so her vet started her on Incurin, and it has pretty much solved that problem. My problem now is that fecal incontinence has started, and the only thing I can trace it to is the Incurin, or the Greenies Pill Pockets. After looking at the ingredients on the Pill Pockets I notice the second ingredient is glycerin, so now I'm wondering if the glycerin could be causing the problem? It's not really poop, she still goes outside, it's more like a brown watery stain in her diaper (sorry if that's TMI ).
With a dog that had a fickle GI we found that Greenies in any form were really bad news. I'd avoid them.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:56 PM

7,011 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Don't know how many pills you are having to give, but this is what worked for me with my old Pug girl. She was on 3-4 different daily meds, 2x a day.

I bought some empty gel capsules, available at most drug stores. They come in different sizes. I would take her pills and put them inside the gel caps, then just mix in with her food. She never could tell they were there, and just ate them with her food.

It's the only thing that ever worked with her, she would know those pills were inside everything from pill pockets to peanut butter to cream cheese. She's eat the outside and spit out the pills, every time. And trying to pill her was a nightmare.

Just a thought, you might want to give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs