Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 07:45 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times

Advertisements

I'd call the Vets and pet supply stores. We had our bull dog in puppy kindergarten at 3 mths. I also found taking mine to local PetCo, walking her around letting her greet other dogs and people helped socialize her...lots of fun.

I watched you tube, did online searches, watched dog shows and learned a lot tips and training that way.
Course it had helped that I had previously owned my beloved boxer, Winston for 16+ years.

Look for online tips specific to Rotties..the are a powerful breed..and you'll want total control when yours is 100 lbs.

One tip that helps...always go thru doors before your dog..make him sit and wait...you walk thru...then allow him after.

And, I personally always mess with my dogs when feeding them...handing kibbles to them from their bowl..just in general making sure they never got aggressive with their food. It worked for me, my boxer was raised with my four sons. You want to make sure you kids are the authority over your pup too. Have them feed and water him, you supervise.

Enjoy your pup.
http://www.dog-obedience-training-re...-training.html

http://thedogtrainingsecret.com/Pupp...aJjBoCRibw_wcB

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/tra...ttweilers.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Train-Your-Ro...imple-Commands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 07:39 AM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times
You fell for the biggest lie that pet stores that sell puppies tell people. No reputable "breeder" would ever sell their puppies to a pet store for resale. You bought a puppy mill puppy.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:56 PM

325 posts, read 229,082 times
Oh my god, I really didn't know anything about puppy mills until recently. But I guess its good I got my pup out of there then because he is absolutely amazing and so smart. They acted at that pet store like random people who couldnt keep their pups took them to the store to sell. Like they were legit. No wonder when I took my pup back there a week later for mandatory vet check for insurance he wouldnt go in without me picking him up. He really did not want to go in an he is the type of puppy to go just about anywhere easily with me.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times
what's this "mandatory vet check" for insurance. I've never heard of that. What does it mean?

Old 03-13-2016, 11:25 PM

When I bought my rottweiler puppy from petland, they told me he was up to date with shots and that a vet that works with them had done a 20 point vet check on my dog. They told me that included in the price of my puppy was some health insurance incase he left pet store and got sick but in order to keep it they said I had to come back in 3 days for their vet to check him. When I went the puppy fought me to go in. Then They had told me when I first bought him that I could get him neutered through them for free, when I went back for vet check they said I had to find my own vet. It was weird.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:22 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,573,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
When I bought my rottweiler puppy from petland, they told me he was up to date with shots and that a vet that works with them had done a 20 point vet check on my dog. They told me that included in the price of my puppy was some health insurance incase he left pet store and got sick but in order to keep it they said I had to come back in 3 days for their vet to check him. When I went the puppy fought me to go in. Then They had told me when I first bought him that I could get him neutered through them for free, when I went back for vet check they said I had to find my own vet. It was weird.
I have a feeling you're about to be bombarded with "Never Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die" comments.
And rightfully so.
You'll learn a lot though.
There are so many rescue groups and shelters that are FULL of puppies and dogs of all ages.
Petfinder.com is a great place to look. There are other websites like it.

It sounds like you are on the right track with your pup. Youtube has lots of training videos. There are tons of books on how to train your dog. The ASPCA has ton of videos and instructions online.

I haven't had a puppy in many years, so I'm not much help with tips. The most recent two we adopted from shelters were 9 months old, and already house trained.

You might consider finding a vet NOW and getting your dog set up with them and have an initial exam. Puppies get into things and you want to know where to go in an emergency. A good vet can be a great source of information, too.

I wish you many happy years with your dog.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:40 PM

I did already find a vet and have went once already

Old 03-16-2016, 08:30 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
Yea that's what I keep hearing that if I let him sleep with me ever that he will try tobe alpha an not listen to me but so far thats not the case. Its been terrible when he goes in crate without first being with me he can whine for hours its heart breaking he actually hasnt really chewed up much but im always supervising him
I don't believe that at all, dogs don't try to be alpha to humans in the 1st place. My dog slept with me and listens extremely well, very biddable and quick learner. It sounds like you have a great puppy.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:18 PM

29 posts, read 34,405 times
I am a certified professional dog trainer (CPDT).

There are great free videos on youtube that can help you with some of your issues. Try Victoria Stilwell or Zak George or Kikopup (Emily Larlham). Don't worry about being "alpha". Teach your puppy what you want him to do, and reward him, and supervise him to prevent mistakes.

Try and find a safe Puppy Socialization class that is very strict about hygiene and then you can take him right away. Rottweilers need to be safely socialized as much as possible, and as early as possible. If you don't know where to look try the Pet Professional Guild (PPG) or the Association of Prof Dog Trainers (APDT) or the Certification Council of Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT) Good luck!

Old 03-16-2016, 02:20 PM

27 posts, read 23,810 times
They are such a great breed, rottweiler was once used as draft dogs, you can even teach him to pull a cart Don't laugh, they need to have a job to be entertaining, it could come in handy if you're doing yard or construction work around the house. He's also a dog who likes to learn and does well in all sorts of canine competition, such as obedience, agility or herding, you just need to give him some specific time to work on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs