Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:25 PM

325 posts, read 229,380 times

Advertisements

i just got a rottweiler puppy 3 weeks ago i bought him from a pet store that gets the dogs from breeders. ive never had a puppy. i do have a 6 an 8 year old kids in home also. im trying to train him a little bit myself until i get him into an obedience classes he learned his name an to sit quickly. but i cant get him to poop outside he will pee outside though. i take him outb after he eats an stay out there for a long time but he just plays or pees an then when we go in he poops in house or n crate. then another problem is outside he found a neighbors dog poop an tried to eat it how do i get him to not eat his or other dogs poop an for him to poop outside an if u have any other good tips for new puppy owners especially of rottweilers thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 05:56 PM

32,678 posts, read 48,163,278 times
Sigh.

First off, the pet stores tell you that the puppies are from breeders, which tricks you into thinking that the pup is from a reputable breeder. No reputable breeder would ever sell a puppy to a pet store.

The puppies in pet stores come from puppy mills, who are breeding puppies, so I guess it is not a lie that the pup came from a breeder, but just not from a reputable breeder.

Generally, puppy mills are not all that clean and the dogs live in cages. That means that probably, your puppy was pooping in his own cage before you got him. He has a habit that you do not like. You must patiently teach him a new habit and keep repeating it until it becomes ingrained.

Two bits of advice (in addition to get the pup outside often) 1.praise when the pup does his thing in the spot that you have chosen. it will speed things up if you give a nice cookie after he does his business.

2. Do not take the pup inside when he is finished. He wants to look around and play and as soon as he goes potty, the fun stops. So he will hold his bladder so that he can stay outside longer. When he potties, give him a command. Reward him. Let him play for a bit afterwards.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:58 PM

32,678 posts, read 48,163,278 times
You should not have this pup out loose in the neighborhood. He should be on a leash, and so you just pull him away from piles of dog poop.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:19 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,280,417 times
I love Rotties. I hope you will enjoy him as much I did when I had mine. And they are very smart dogs... so at this age, puppies test things with their mouths. Eating poop is common for puppies who are trying to figure out the smells, taste and texture of what's what. He will also want to put anything else in his mouth, like leaves, sticks, etc... so it is important to walk him, on a leash and supervise him. Teaching the command "leave it" or "drop it" at home before a walk is a good start should the puppy find something interesting during a walk. As young as they are, Rotties learn quickly, as you can see so far.

Secondly, the pooping inside the house and crate is common. As the previous post mentioned, the pup may have carried some bad habits he is used to. Make sure there are timed feedings: 3 portions a day, small portions, morning, noon and night. Also, a diet higher in fat and protein, which babies need more than adults and you can find this in puppy canned food, and avoid food with corn and other grain. After each meal, wait 2 hours or more or less depending on his age, then go for a walk. The more he walks, the more he might want to poop. Praise him when he poops.

Off topic but I wished you had adopted one out the thousands of Rotties waiting for a home instead of buying one. I still can't believe people are still buying dogs at pet stores. Pet stores like Petland do not care about the well being of the dogs.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:53 AM

986 posts, read 1,869,882 times
Just wanted to say, good luck with your pup! Please please, take him to obedience training when he's old enough to. It'll teach him, but mostly it'll teach you. Knowing how dogs learn is 99% of the battle! Have fun with your pup!

Old 03-04-2016, 06:15 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,985,108 times
Don't feed the. . .

Old 03-04-2016, 07:01 PM

I wanted to say to say that today was the first day my puppy pooped outside. we had a huge party with him gave him all kinds of treats an praise. I always have him on a leash an with me when he goes outside. He is never left by himself. Also I did buy him from petland I didnt know that was bad an I had called the local shelter but they didnt have a puppy I liked. How old does he have to be before I can take him to an obedience class because I really want to find a class that I can take him to an us learn together. I have been trying to teach him some commands on my own like sit an he learned that fast I just need any tips or advice on anything for new rottweiler puppy owner.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:14 PM

Also I have a crate an am doing crate training but is it bad to let my pup sleep in bed with me sometimes for a little while because I had heard recently that it is bad to do that but my pup loves to get in our bed at night an snuggle until he is really tired then he likes to go in his crate but if i put him in crate at night without him getting in our bed for a bit firdst he whines an whines.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:48 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,444,618 times
He will need to have had his shots before starting class, so I think that's 4-5 months old?? It's been quite a while since I've had a puppy. The poop and pee thing will just take time and patience and consistency and yes, lots of parties for getting it right. As far as him sleeping with you in the bed for a little while, as long as it helps him be comfortable in his crate afterwards I think that's fine. He may start balking at going into the crate though, and if he needs to be there you might have to cut out the snuggling, and use some earplugs at first, until he gets the idea that that is where he sleeps. Once he can get through the night with no accidents and if you can trust him not to chew things up, he can go back to sleeping with you. Some people think sleeping with your dog is letting him be dominant over you, but that is a pretty outdated notion.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:42 PM

Yea that's what I keep hearing that if I let him sleep with me ever that he will try tobe alpha an not listen to me but so far thats not the case. Its been terrible when he goes in crate without first being with me he can whine for hours its heart breaking he actually hasnt really chewed up much but im always supervising him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs