Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 01:05 PM

308 posts, read 237,882 times

Advertisements

Lots of exercise needed
Lots of barking
Lots of howling
Lots of destructive chewing
Lots of grooming.lots and lots!!!
Lots of digging
Lots of escaping if given half an inch bigger than they are
Lots of hunting instinct

Lots of them in rescue centres over here,and theyre hard to find the right owners for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 04:24 PM

30,566 posts, read 16,256,699 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ycvMExwMM

can you drive with one hand, nk?

Old 10-01-2016, 08:05 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,319,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Lots of exercise needed
Lots of barking
Lots of howling
Lots of destructive chewing
Lots of grooming.lots and lots!!!
Lots of digging
Lots of escaping if given half an inch bigger than they are
Lots of hunting instinct

Lots of them in rescue centres over here,and theyre hard to find the right owners for
Hmmmm.... I'd say that there's some truth and some misconceptions in the above. My family has had 8 Siberians over the last 25 years -- two of which have been my own personal dogs -- so I think that I can speak with experience about them. I offer the following rebuttal and expansion:
  • Exercise is needed, as it is for all living creatures. But it doesn't have to be an excessive amount. You can give them what they need with a few short walks every day, some play time, and some off-leash time every week.
  • Generally speaking, this is a non-barky breed. Of the 8 Sibes my family has owned, two of them were barkers. I've lived in apartments with mine for 15 years. Both were/are completely quiet.
  • They tend to howl more when they are together, if two or more are together and egging each other on. Individual Sibes howl less. Some do not howl at all. (My last boy howled with others; my present boy does not howl at all.) And while most Sibes "woo-woo" -- the "talking" that you see in videos on YouTube -- not all of them do. The woo-woo is low-pitched and comical and guaranteed to make you laugh.
  • They shed outrageously. That's an undeniable truth. But they don't require lots and lots of grooming. In fact, I think they're an easy dog, grooming-wise. The shedding season lasts about 2 months in the spring and again in the fall. During that time, you will want to spend 5-10 minutes a week brushing out your Sibe in order to manage the hair and the tufts. But that's not much of a commitment. And this is an extraordinarily clean dog. Their fur is non-oily and does not attract dirt and odors, and they don't have a doggy smell. One or two baths a year (preferably timed to coincide with their shedding season) is all that's necessary.
  • Digging is a Siberian Husky trait, which is to say that enough of them do it that it's considered typical. They do it when it's hot out, because the hole in the ground is nice and cool. However, all Sibes are individuals. Neither of my two Sibes (over the course of the last 15 years) were/are diggers.
  • They are known as the Houdinis of the dog world for a reason. Again, this is a Siberian trait, so fairly common. My last one never tried to escape. My present boy, on the other hand, is quite the escape artist. He's too smart for his (and my) own good.
  • The breed has a strong prey drive and likes to go after little critters. They are generally fine with other dogs, regardless of size. Birds are prey, and cats can be, too. However, if the Sibe is raised with a cat, they generally have more tolerance and the prey drive is not activated for that animal. Nevertheless, I would think twice about bringing a Sibe into a home with a cat, or bringing a cat into a home with a Sibe. It definitely can be done. Just be cautious and attentive.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
Thanks so much for the extra info and PAhippo- from time to time I've had to drive with one hand either to calm a child or a dog but I don't generally recommend it. I do have to say my current new pup and one of my cats likes to hold hands while going to sleep at night. it's very calming.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:25 AM

308 posts, read 237,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Hmmmm.... I'd say that there's some truth and some misconceptions in the above. My family has had 8 Siberians over the last 25 years -- two of which have been my own personal dogs -- so I think that I can speak with experience about them. I offer the following rebuttal and expansion:
  • Exercise is needed, as it is for all living creatures. But it doesn't have to be an excessive amount. You can give them what they need with a few short walks every day, some play time, and some off-leash time every week.
  • Generally speaking, this is a non-barky breed. Of the 8 Sibes my family has owned, two of them were barkers. I've lived in apartments with mine for 15 years. Both were/are completely quiet.
  • They tend to howl more when they are together, if two or more are together and egging each other on. Individual Sibes howl less. Some do not howl at all. (My last boy howled with others; my present boy does not howl at all.) And while most Sibes "woo-woo" -- the "talking" that you see in videos on YouTube -- not all of them do. The woo-woo is low-pitched and comical and guaranteed to make you laugh.
  • They shed outrageously. That's an undeniable truth. But they don't require lots and lots of grooming. In fact, I think they're an easy dog, grooming-wise. The shedding season lasts about 2 months in the spring and again in the fall. During that time, you will want to spend 5-10 minutes a week brushing out your Sibe in order to manage the hair and the tufts. But that's not much of a commitment. And this is an extraordinarily clean dog. Their fur is non-oily and does not attract dirt and odors, and they don't have a doggy smell. One or two baths a year (preferably timed to coincide with their shedding season) is all that's necessary.
  • Digging is a Siberian Husky trait, which is to say that enough of them do it that it's considered typical. They do it when it's hot out, because the hole in the ground is nice and cool. However, all Sibes are individuals. Neither of my two Sibes (over the course of the last 15 years) were/are diggers.
  • They are known as the Houdinis of the dog world for a reason. Again, this is a Siberian trait, so fairly common. My last one never tried to escape. My present boy, on the other hand, is quite the escape artist. He's too smart for his (and my) own good.
  • The breed has a strong prey drive and likes to go after little critters. They are generally fine with other dogs, regardless of size. Birds are prey, and cats can be, too. However, if the Sibe is raised with a cat, they generally have more tolerance and the prey drive is not activated for that animal. Nevertheless, I would think twice about bringing a Sibe into a home with a cat, or bringing a cat into a home with a Sibe. It definitely can be done. Just be cautious and attentive.

Very interesting read,you have way more experience than me.the only ones i really know are the ones we have had in the rescue shelter i work in.None there at the moment.There are only room for 17 dogs anyhow,but they get more personal attention.I love the little wooing sounds.We have had a couple though who sang.Not quite as much as Greyhounds do.The escape artists though has been every single one we have had.We havent had many in but other shelters around the UK are literally full of them and Malamutes,plus various mixes.Even been on the TV about it a couple of times.It used to be and still is to an extent Staffordshire Bull Terriers,but they are slowly reducing.Looking at the amount around this past couple of years it will soon be French Bulldogs and Spaniels.You see what i have sometimes seen you would prefer dogs to people as well.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:38 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,780,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
They are so funny. I've had tiny dogs for 30 years. Bichons and Maltese but the more i see Huskies, I just know I have to have one some day.

https://www.facebook.com/AFVAnimals/...8003248214186/
get one of these

Klee Kai https://www.google.com/search?q=klee...B8AWUQ_AUIBigB

They look like Huskies but they only weigh about 20 pounds.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:03 PM

30,566 posts, read 16,256,699 times
hey, they are cute.
and just the right size.

(still prefer must tho)

Old 10-09-2016, 02:08 PM

do they have the same personality as Husky? Do they talk? Do they escape?

Old 11-01-2016, 01:06 PM

silly Husky

https://www.facebook.com/18432146659...c_ref=NEWSFEED

Old 11-18-2016, 03:04 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSu9mgGnkhk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs