Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:13 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,969,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
My 8 month old Havanese wasn't giving me reliable signals, so I got a little bell to mount at the bottom of the door frame. It didn't take long for him to learn that you ring that bell when you want to go out. It isn't perfect, as he rings it whenever he wants to go out, even if it is not to relieve himself. For example, if he hears people or a dog barking outside he will ring it because he wants to go out and see what's happening. So the system isn't perfect, but I figure if I ignore the rings that are in response to outside noises (I hear them too) eventually he will ring only for potty. One thing I have noticed is if he just wants to explore he rings the bell then waits, but if he really has to go, he will ring the bell repeatedly. He is young. I think we will eventually come to a system we both understand. But something is working, because he hasn't had an accident since I put the bell in.
I've been trying to teach him to ring the bell but he ignores it. But if I ring the bell, he comes running to go out. Maybe a few months more and he will be ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,445,738 times
Sits by the back sliding glass door....if no one notices he "grumbles."..followed by a
sharp bark. To come back in he just barks, he figures we probably won't hear low
"grumbling"

Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,032,093 times
Hank usually won't; to him it's a game of "Guess whats in your closet!"

Actually he has his own room and door so, he figure since I don't tell him when i have to go, he's not telling me when he has to go. On the rare occasion we are away from the house and he's inside and has to go, he'll usually just bark by an exterior door until someone lets him out.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:06 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,384,689 times
My border collie has a bladder like a Sherman tank; he rarely asks to go out in order to go pee (even if I've been gone from the home for a very lengthy period, as soon as he's let outdoors he runs to get his ball...it never even occurs to him to go to the bathroom). However, he does ask to go out, mainly so he can play. Izzy's way of requesting this is to stand in front of me and stare; as soon as he has my attention he turns and looks at the back door, then back at me. If I ignore, he keeps on doing it. If I continue to ignore, he instead starts looking at the front door and back at me. As soon as I say, "Do you want to go outside?" he bolts to the door and stands in front of it until I let him out.

My last dog was a bit different. Whenever she wanted outdoors (and usually, her request was to go pee) she'd run to the door, scratch, and then run back to me and woof. She'd continue doing this for as long as it took...if ever I ignored her (which was rare), her woofs became increasingly louder until she simply couldn't be ignored.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:35 PM

483 posts, read 419,048 times
We or actually our cat taught Roman to ring the bell to want out.
https://youtu.be/YhD6CUxxWfk
Attached Thumbnails
How Does Your Dog Tell You "I Need To Go"?-img_20140414_182641.jpg  

Old 08-02-2016, 03:02 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,001,589 times
She gives me the LOOK that either means "I want more food!!" or "I need to pee"

Old 08-02-2016, 05:35 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
This morning, as I was finishing breakfast, my chocolate lab came up to me, sat on her haunches and gave me "the look". This is her way of communicating to me that she needs to go outside and take care of business. "The look" is different from any other facial expression she has and I immediately know what it means. How does your dog let you know that he/she needs to go?
They ring the bell on the back door.

This was the third most important training we taught them.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:41 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,458,537 times
My last rescue dog would bark once and then go to the back door. If she wanted to be fed, she'd bark once and then go to her food met.

My current rescue dog does exactly the same thing.

I didnt teach this behavior to either dog. I've owned dogs of this breed for 45 years -- rescues for the past 20 years -- and none of my previous dogs ever did this.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:06 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
They ring the bell on the back door.

This was the third most important training we taught them.

I trained mine to ring the bell too, but alas he became a bell abuser ringing it when there was a squirrel or chipmunk or lizard or whatever he wanted to chase in the yard. Once I removed the bell, he'd find me wherever I was, bark at me once and then run toward the back door. I caught on quick and now he has me perfectly trained.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:06 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,276,225 times
As the only male in the house my cocker is a bit bossy. His internal clock tells him when his second mom is suppose to come take him out into the fields and he sits on the top of the couch so he can see out the window waiting for her.

If I'm there and he wants to go out he will grab my shoe and run around in circles. He's a hunter and waits till he's inspected for every last gecko or frog till he'll pee as he knows as soon as he does he's going in especially when it's so hot out.

He's use to a lot of attention and belly scratching and will do a short low growl or a mournful yelp as if hes dying if someone passes him by with acknowledging him with some hugs. He's also not too fond of most men coming into his territory and stealing his glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs