Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,618,525 times

Advertisements

This morning, as I was finishing breakfast, my chocolate lab came up to me, sat on her haunches and gave me "the look". This is her way of communicating to me that she needs to go outside and take care of business. "The look" is different from any other facial expression she has and I immediately know what it means. How does your dog let you know that he/she needs to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:31 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,691,220 times
The look as well. If we are close enough to to the door, she will jump up and hit the door knob.
If given the look at the back of the house, and not complying right away, there is a little foot shuffle, as if to stomp her feet. 'Now mom!'

Old 08-01-2016, 01:11 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,989,072 times
I have a 6-month old mini poodle. I am still waiting for him to give me a sign. I'm not sure he knows when he needs to go. We've only had a few "accidents" in the house because I take him out often. So at what age can I expect him to give me a signal?

Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,618,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I have a 6-month old mini poodle. I am still waiting for him to give me a sign. I'm not sure he knows when he needs to go. We've only had a few "accidents" in the house because I take him out often. So at what age can I expect him to give me a signal?

I imagine each breed has different ways of communicating with their humans, so I'm not sure what his method will be or when he'll actually give you a signal. Others with poodles may want to chime in on that.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:46 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,451,262 times
My JRT mix goes to the hallway and sits by the front door, and gives me a wistful look...

Old 08-01-2016, 02:43 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,142,745 times
my prances around at the door to let me know and then of course I ask her do you have to go potty ? and she will get really prancy then ...she is so funny .

Old 08-01-2016, 02:45 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,229,897 times
He'll paw at us, or bark at us, or sniff around the door. It depends on where we are and what we are doing when he gets the urge.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:47 PM

122 posts, read 125,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I have Standards, not Minis. My six year old girl paws at your leg and, if ignored at first, will do some whisper woofs.

With my eight month old boy, I think he indicated about 1.5 weeks ago. He was hanging out in his open crate, got up rather suddenly, walked over to me, gave me the look, and sort of groaned. Took him out and sure enough, he peed and pooped.

Reason why I say “I think” is because, the next day, I took him to his handler who wanted to work on his show coat and had him entered into a three day show this past weekend. When I get him back, I’ll be interested to see if my hunch is right; but, I would guess at eight months, they start to figure it out.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:38 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,118,773 times
My 8 month old Havanese wasn't giving me reliable signals, so I got a little bell to mount at the bottom of the door frame. It didn't take long for him to learn that you ring that bell when you want to go out. It isn't perfect, as he rings it whenever he wants to go out, even if it is not to relieve himself. For example, if he hears people or a dog barking outside he will ring it because he wants to go out and see what's happening. So the system isn't perfect, but I figure if I ignore the rings that are in response to outside noises (I hear them too) eventually he will ring only for potty. One thing I have noticed is if he just wants to explore he rings the bell then waits, but if he really has to go, he will ring the bell repeatedly. He is young. I think we will eventually come to a system we both understand. But something is working, because he hasn't had an accident since I put the bell in.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:50 PM

965 posts, read 942,647 times
I let mine out on my schedule, I never give the a chance to ask (so that they don't think I am their door opener). though I let them out probably 3,000 times a day.

So thankful that I accidentally trained the that way. I guess I decided it was definitely the only way to go when I was pet sitting, for a dog who wanted to go in and out every 15 min. Omg made me insane, and if I didn't do it she would bark at me. I just tied her to my waist instead of taking a chance inside for the first day, and took her out with mine. She figured it pretty quick.

If mine need to go out in an emergency they will come wake me up, or if I am awake they will dance at the door. If I am not fast enough they will run over to me and then back to the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs