Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:44 AM

253 posts, read 305,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree with this. People have lost sight of the fact that they are not the only one whose needs matter.
The same can be said to those who freak out if someone brings their dog into a bathroom in a park or at a trailhead (again, we're not talking about typical public restrooms here, but rest areas, trailheads, parks, etc).

I have sympathy for people who claim dog allergies. I have a fragrance allergy that is pretty severe and hard to treat, especially when I can't demand the world bow to my special needs and stop using any sort of fragrance. People with dog allergies also have to deal with encountering others with pet hair on them all day long, whether they realize it or not. It must be difficult, I'm sure.

But here's the thing. My need to pee absolutely matters. It's a basic biological function. It's not something I or anyone can just make go away or schedule for another time. I'm going to go to the bathroom when the need arises. If I have my dog, I have to figure out what to do with him. I'm definitely going to start taking him in the restroom regardless of what it says because I know that eventually there will be some jerk who decides to break the window because he's too stupid to do a bit of risk analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 11:08 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times
Tying the dog to a post outside the bathroom works fine for many people, and you don't bring a dog into the humans' bathroom.

If your dog will quietly leave with a stranger after waiting just a few minutes outside, you have a bigger problem.

I have been in a stall when a dog in the next stall came under the partition into mine. NOT welcomed!

Old 09-07-2016, 01:57 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
The same can be said to those who freak out if someone brings their dog into a bathroom in a park or at a trailhead (again, we're not talking about typical public restrooms here, but rest areas, trailheads, parks, etc).

I have sympathy for people who claim dog allergies. I have a fragrance allergy that is pretty severe and hard to treat, especially when I can't demand the world bow to my special needs and stop using any sort of fragrance. People with dog allergies also have to deal with encountering others with pet hair on them all day long, whether they realize it or not. It must be difficult, I'm sure.

But here's the thing. My need to pee absolutely matters. It's a basic biological function. It's not something I or anyone can just make go away or schedule for another time. I'm going to go to the bathroom when the need arises. If I have my dog, I have to figure out what to do with him. I'm definitely going to start taking him in the restroom regardless of what it says because I know that eventually there will be some jerk who decides to break the window because he's too stupid to do a bit of risk analysis.
The difference is the bathrooms are designed for human use, not your dog. It is a difference that should be abundantly clear, especially when there is a sign that says No dogs beyond this point in case there was confusion. Listen, you want to take your dog into a port-a--potty I doubt anyone is going to kick up a fuss, but rest areas with indoor bathrooms are for human travelers, many of whom object to your animal being there for various reasons - which they do not have to justify.

Your need to pee does not require your dog to go into the bathroom with you unless you are disabled. If you choose to travel with a dog you need to figure out how to make that work without tromping on everyone else's rights and/or the rules of whatever entity has responsibility for the bathroom facilities.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
The difference is the bathrooms are designed for human use, not your dog. It is a difference that should be abundantly clear, especially when there is a sign that says No dogs beyond this point in case there was confusion. Listen, you want to take your dog into a port-a--potty I doubt anyone is going to kick up a fuss, but rest areas with indoor bathrooms are for human travelers, many of whom object to your animal being there for various reasons - which they do not have to justify.

Your need to pee does not require your dog to go into the bathroom with you unless you are disabled. If you choose to travel with a dog you need to figure out how to make that work without tromping on everyone else's rights and/or the rules of whatever entity has responsibility for the bathroom facilities.
You seem to be under the impression that the dog would be using the facilities as well. He wouldn't. He'd be standing there while I pee.

But thanks for the idea! I'm actually disabled (100% disabled veteran) and my dog has an expired support animal license. I'm going to update that and maybe even upgrade it to service animal. I'll enjoy shoving it in the idiot's faces next time I have to do something so outrageous as pee while my dog is in my care.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,320,865 times
Quote:
<snip> Your need to pee does not require your dog to go into the bathroom with you unless you are disabled. If you choose to travel with a dog you need to figure out how to make that work without tromping on everyone else's rights and/or the rules of whatever entity has responsibility for the bathroom facilities.
This...I have 2 dogs.

I don't wait until I 'think' I have to go, in my experience that's asking for trouble.I make scheduled stop(s) whether I think I will have to use the bathroom or not. I take them out first and let them do their business, give them some water and maybe a treat of some sort and put them back in my car (windows cracked/AC-heat on, whatever it takes. Then I use the facilities myself.

They have to come first because they are helpless and depend on me to make good decisions on their behalf; but not at the expense of anyone else.

Not because I'm so great but because I wouldn't put my dogs in this situation.

Originally Posted by SkyeBright <snip>

But thanks for the idea! I'm actually disabled (100% disabled veteran) and my dog has an expired support animal license. I'm going to update that and maybe even upgrade it to service animal. I'll enjoy shoving it in the idiot's faces next time I have to do something so outrageous as pee while my dog is in my care. Quote

This is a completely different scenario.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
This...I have 2 dogs.

I don't wait until I 'think' I have to go, in my experience that's asking for trouble.I make scheduled stop(s) whether I think I will have to use the bathroom or not. I take them out first and let them do their business, give them some water and maybe a treat of some sort and put them back in my car (windows cracked/AC-heat on, whatever it takes. Then I use the facilities myself.

They have to come first because they are helpless and depend on me to make good decisions on their behalf; but not at the expense of anyone else.

Not because I'm so great but because I wouldn't put my dogs in this situation.
Sigh. Making good decisions for my dog doesn't change the fact that my body produces waste that must be eliminated.

The issue is that there are people who would break your windows or steal your dog because they have been told by the media that leaving a dog in a car for any period of time is bad bad bad. There are now even laws in many places that make it illegal to leave any living creature in the car no matter what. Except these laws never take into consideration that humans have to do things like pee.

Quote:
This is a completely different scenario.
No, it's not at all a completely different scenario. The scenario is going to the bathroom in certain locations (we're talking trailheads and such, not the local 7-11) when you have the dog there. In both cases, the dog is in the bathroom. The existence of a dog in a facility where people pretend to have deadly allergies doesn't change just because I whip out a service or support license. It just changes the way jerks react.

It's extremely easy to get a service or support card for a pet. My being able to prove an actual disability would only serve to make jerks who don't want me to pee and don't want me to leave the dog in the car and don't want me to leave a barking dog tied to a tree (because my well-behaved dog would bark if I leave him like that) feel like even bigger jerks simply because my best option would be to take the dog into the bathroom with me after a long hike.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,320,865 times
Quote:
Sigh. Making good decisions for my dog doesn't change the fact that my body produces waste that must be eliminated.

Skye...believe me, I very well understand the INTENSE need to pee and have sometimes thought that I would definitely NOT make it in time. I am more than 60 years old and the 'old gray mare just ain't what she used to be' which is why I pointed out that I make it my business to schedule pee breaks when I am driving as opposed to waiting until I HAVE TO PEE; SCHEDULE being the operative word here.

If I wait until that moment in time when I HAVE to use the facilities, I promise you I WILL NOT MAKE IT IN TIME, let alone if the restrooms are tied up with other women in line and waiting to use the facilities as well. It is the most horrible situation to be in and I have a renewed respect for toddlers trying to maintain their dignity

"Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! I hate this belt. Man oh man! Mom, we have a situation..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDrT_WfEEg4

The issue is that there are people who would break your windows or steal your dog because they have been told by the media that leaving a dog in a car for any period of time is bad bad bad. There are now even laws in many places that make it illegal to leave any living creature in the car no matter what. Except these laws never take into consideration that humans have to do things like pee.

"people who would break your window, even laws in many places that make it illegal to leave any living creature in the car no matter what"

As Mr. T used to say, "I pity the fool..." who would break my car window or get law enforcement involved in my 10 minute (MAX) pee break.

Besides my reply is specifically concerning your original query (as opposed to trailheads and wilderness walks) which was...

"How do you go on a road trip alone with a dog? I've never been able to even properly manage a day trip with my dog."

No, it's not at all a completely different scenario.
If you are disabled Skye, then it behooves you to obtain the appropriate and legal signage, stickers, ID or whatever is necessary for yourself as well as your 'service dog' to allow your dog to be with you when you deem it to be necessary. It may be a hassle but I think you will agree it will be worth it so you can breathe easy and use restroom facilities at will.

Best of luck to you in getting this all sorted out!

Old 09-08-2016, 03:14 PM

I'm not sure what point you're missing. This isn't about not scheduling pee breaks. I do. This is about what to do with dogs on those scheduled pee breaks. I have kids now so a lot of the problem is solved as my son can be there with the dog when I pee. However, there are still times when this isn't the case.

As an example, I recently went on a short vacation to a city about 4 hours away. Obviously I'd have to stop during that time, both for myself and the dog. I mapped several rest stops and/or gas stations. The problem is that those rest areas are almost always not dog friendly. Oh, they'll have plenty of space for dogs to do their business and walk around. But then they also have signs that it's illegal to leave pets (and children) in the cars yet they also had signs that stated no pets in the bathrooms. There's a serious contradiction going on there. I think the same is true of places like parks or hiking venues. They are pet friendly areas, yet not when it comes to things like basic bodily functions.

About the service dog thing, I shouldn't have even mentioned the disabled part because it's literally not relevant. The point I was making there was that it's incredibly easy for a person to obtain credentials for their pet and if that's what it takes to shut people up if I have to bring my dog into the bathroom, then so be it.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:01 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:
How do you go on a road trip alone with a dog? I've never been able to even properly manage a day trip with my dog. I can pack all of my drinks and food, but I can't not go to the bathroom. My windows are tinted so occasionally I leave him there (in a shaded spot, inside a car that had the air conditioning blasting for a good ten minutes if it's hot outside) for the few minutes it takes to pee and wash hands. But the entire time I'm worried that someone will see him and think he's in danger and break my window to get him out. I've tested it numerous times, the temp doesn't rise that quickly. It will go from 73 to 75 degrees in the five minutes it takes in the bathroom.

It's hard with hiking or trail walking, too. I'm not talking backcountry stuff where I can pop a squat. Usually places that have facilities and don't allow hikers/walkers to pee off the trails. They are dog friendly places, but there really isn't anything to do when I desperately need to pee because it's not like I can take my dog into the bathroom with me.

Nearly three years and I still haven't figured this one out. What does a solo person do for bathroom breaks when they have their dog with them on road trips or hiking days?
Yes you can. That's what I have done...not just one, two dogs in the stall with me. I don't care what their signs say. What do you think they're going to do...stop you while you're using the facilities? Write you a ticket? Glare at you? I've never had a problem with this, and I've taken dogs with me several times on across country moves, using rest areas for breaks and sleeping.

Most of the time, I arrived at the rest area at night. If it says "no pets", it means a certain area....so I would take the pets to another area to conduct their business, and then they guarded the car while I took care of myself. During the day, their signs mean nothing to me. Of course, out of all of the rest stops I've used across this country and back, only about 1/3 of them had a "no pets" sign.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:14 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,540,982 times
Do not use rest areas at any time of day as a woman alone, period. Today's paper details tragic death of woman who did in Montana.

I have an extra key & lock the doors with engine running & AC on...run into fast food restroom & back out...then use drive-through as customer. If you are worried about your dog engaging car, either crate or restrain him away from gear shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs