Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:54 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
I became argumentative only with the person who provided no advice and who decided himself decided to create a hostile exchange. I think that's fair. I readily accepted the advice from those who contributed.

I had no reason to renew my support animal permit. I got it to secure housing with a landlord who discriminated, then found something different. The only reason to have a service dog or support permit is if you actively need it for something. I haven't until now. I'll gladly renew it if it means I can shut people up when they want to prevent me from peeing while also keeping my dog safe. Anyone can get one of these things, whether they have a disability or not. My having all of the credentials for my disability (car tags, ID cards, etc) isn't really relevant, like I previously mentioned. It's merely more helpful in certain situations.

If you have no desire for a dog and don't have a dog, you have no business posting or responding in a dog forum.

Actually, attitudes like yours are a good reason why people who do not presently own dogs should indeed post in this forum. You need to realize that there are others in the world besides you and yours.

For the record, I used to have two dogs and never, ever had difficulty with them when taking bathroom stops. Dogs come out of car and are brought to a suitable pee area, dogs are put back in car, and then it is my turn to pee. Simple, quick, no problem. When hiking, I peed off the trail and so did the dogs. If it were necessary to use a pit toilet on a hike, I would have tied the dogs outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 10:41 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
I became argumentative only with the person who provided no advice and who decided himself decided to create a hostile exchange. I think that's fair. I readily accepted the advice from those who contributed.

I had no reason to renew my support animal permit. I got it to secure housing with a landlord who discriminated, then found something different. The only reason to have a service dog or support permit is if you actively need it for something. I haven't until now. I'll gladly renew it if it means I can shut people up when they want to prevent me from peeing while also keeping my dog safe. Anyone can get one of these things, whether they have a disability or not. My having all of the credentials for my disability (car tags, ID cards, etc) isn't really relevant, like I previously mentioned. It's merely more helpful in certain situations.

If you have no desire for a dog and don't have a dog, you have no business posting or responding in a dog forum.

Who made you the arbiter of who shall/shall not post in the dog forum?

I don't have a dog (currently) but have had dogs during my life. They are fine companions and wonderful foot warmers in the cold of Winter.

I have no desire to have a dog (currently) because when I was traveling with my son's hockey team, we'd often be gone for long tournament weekends. When I was performing, I was frequently gone all day at work, all evening at rehearsal, all weekend at performance. Now that I'm retired, I can, if I choose, pick up and go wherever, for however long. I won't inflict an animal on my traveling companions.

When I signed on to CD, there was no disclaimer requiring me to refrain from posting in any forum.

As for your particular dilemma, buy a package of Depends and p1$$ away.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:04 AM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Who made you the arbiter of who shall/shall not post in the dog forum?

I don't have a dog (currently) but have had dogs during my life. They are fine companions and wonderful foot warmers in the cold of Winter.

I have no desire to have a dog (currently) because when I was traveling with my son's hockey team, we'd often be gone for long tournament weekends. When I was performing, I was frequently gone all day at work, all evening at rehearsal, all weekend at performance. Now that I'm retired, I can, if I choose, pick up and go wherever, for however long. I won't inflict an animal on my traveling companions.

When I signed on to CD, there was no disclaimer requiring me to refrain from posting in any forum.

As for your particular dilemma, buy a package of Depends and p1$$ away.
Awesome post. I blocked poster yesterday when I felt myself throw up a little bit in my mouth over the self righteousness of it all. I wasn't going to comment further...

Someone mentioned this as typical behavior of one who asks, but doesn't like answers. I agree. I don't care if one is disabled, a veteran, the POTA, or the queen. When behavior is this ugly, and you BREAK a LAW, you pay your consequences.

That said, it p-i-SS-es me off to know that there are people who behave this way "on purpose" to make their point! Assuming this is truly an adult, I am sickened.

Said behavior leads to people "who care" to pass MORE laws to keep it from happening, not just as a consideration for other human beings we share the planet with, but to make it ILLEGAL to do something as simple as taking a leak....

Oh and I would rather have a ticket for popping a squat behind a tree, or my car than to displace someone legally needing to use a restroom without a dog present "if it is posted".
And I consider my dogs a basic human need for myself. I make NO excuses for them, or my behavior for myself IN PUBLIC, by law. If i want it changed, I better get involved and do something about it instead of thumbing my nose at it like a child.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:30 PM

768 posts, read 858,141 times
What's the alternative? Leaving the dog alone in a hot car....windows down, getting stolen. I would take the dog in with me and by the time someone objects...you are done and gone. I refuse to subject my dogs to even the remotest possibility of theft or any type of heat stroke for ANY reason. My dogs are better behaved in public than many children.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:42 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
What's the alternative? Leaving the dog alone in a hot car....windows down, getting stolen. I would take the dog in with me and by the time someone objects...you are done and gone. I refuse to subject my dogs to even the remotest possibility of theft or any type of heat stroke for ANY reason. My dogs are better behaved in public than many children.
This is what I was alluding to earlier. The allergy thing isn't a very valid concern for me because you have much more to fear at rest stops than a little bit of dander that may or may not have been left by a dog that was in the restroom for 2 minutes....if that. By the time anyone even notices anything, it's all said and done and you're back in your car on your way down the road. Of all the rest stops I've been to in this country, almost every single time there has been no one else in that restroom while I was there. It's not like these places are crowded with people, standing in line that winds out the door and down the sidewalk...there's hardly ever anyone even in them. Most people are in their cars, or eating their lunch outside, or changing drivers, whatever, most of them are not all hanging out in the bathroom. If it's hot, just get your dog, use the facilities, go back to your car, and go on with life.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:59 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is what I was alluding to earlier. The allergy thing isn't a very valid concern for me because you have much more to fear at rest stops than a little bit of dander that may or may not have been left by a dog that was in the restroom for 2 minutes....if that. By the time anyone even notices anything, it's all said and done and you're back in your car on your way down the road. Of all the rest stops I've been to in this country, almost every single time there has been no one else in that restroom while I was there. It's not like these places are crowded with people, standing in line that winds out the door and down the sidewalk...there's hardly ever anyone even in them. Most people are in their cars, or eating their lunch outside, or changing drivers, whatever, most of them are not all hanging out in the bathroom. If it's hot, just get your dog, use the facilities, go back to your car, and go on with life.
Assuming your dog isn't a genuine service dog - Just out of curiosity, let's say you do go into the bathroom and encounter a person, such as a child or even an adult, who is terrified of dogs or a person who just objects. What action do you plan on taking?

Old 09-09-2016, 08:20 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Assuming your dog isn't a genuine service dog - Just out of curiosity, let's say you do go into the bathroom and encounter a person, such as a child or even an adult, who is terrified of dogs or a person who just objects. What action do you plan on taking?
What any normal person would do. I would walk back out with my dog until I saw them leave, and then I'd go in again.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:44 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What any normal person would do. I would walk back out with my dog until I saw them leave, and then I'd go in again.
Which is the answer I would hope for, and yes, it does seem like what the normal reasonable person would do. But, that would not be the reaction of far too many people who insist on taking their dog everywhere. I have watched more than one person with their "service dog" go ballistic when asked to leave a place after their "service dog" snarled at or, in one case, even snapped at other people.

In the last five or so years there has been an incredible explosion of people taking their dogs to places where previously they were never seen. I personally don't have an issue with dogs, I absolutely love them, but I do have a huge issue with the trend I see of too many of the owners of these dogs not taking anyone else's rights or needs into consideration. Dogs are not, nor should ever be, on the same level as humans when it comes to "rights". My personal observation has been that most of the people insisting on shoving their dogs in everyone else's face either do not have children or their children have flown the nest and they have the expectation that their dog should have the same rights and privileges as children. Sadly, I think many use the dogs as a way of filling an emotional need that most people fill through relationships with other humans.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:01 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Do not use rest areas at any time of day as a woman alone, period. Today's paper details tragic death of woman who did in Montana.
So what's your alternative?

Old 09-10-2016, 09:08 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
when I'm traveling with my SD its a none issue.
when I'm traveling with my little gal, I generally try and plan "pet friendly" rest stops (find petsmart's Petco's, petsuply plu, pretty much any petstore ect, home depots (call ahead, compay policy is no dogs, but it is up to individual store managers)
and I put a list together and mark them out along the route I'm taking.

if I'm absolutely desperate, I'm not above "guying it up" and finding a well hidden bush...im a camping kinda gal, and heck someones making a whole lot of money off the she-wee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs