Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:47 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,441,337 times

Advertisements

To all my fellow 'muricans who are needling the OP, please realize, not everyone in the world (or even everyone in the US) has a quick trigger finger vis a vis euthanasia. There are other traditions out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 05:26 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,608,432 times
When the body is preparing to die it starts shutting down that is why people and animals stop eating and drinking and should not be forced to do either. If anyone has ever lost a loved one that got hospice care at the end you were no doubt told this or given something to read about what to expect.

None of us here knows if her dog is suffering. The dog is dying and what she describes is part of the process. If there is pain or anxiety there are drugs to help as some people prefer their dog die a natural death. Hospice care in pets is a new emerging field.

As for how long it will take no one but God knows for sure as some souls hang on a lot longer then others but those are two signs that the body is shutting down.

If I recall the OP said the dog is a ACD well those can be tough stubborn dogs so I can see one hanging on like this. Jazz who was only part ACD had to get the last say at the end of her life as that is just how they can be.

OP I wish your dog Godspeed and hope the dog is comfortable.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:42 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,050,412 times
BFT, I feel your pain. I have an almost 14 year old ACD. He was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy last December. Up until then, he'd continued to be his active and wild self, full of energy. He started wheezing and coughing one day and it wouldn't go away so I took him to see his vet.

He's been on meds ever since then and has also gone completely blind over the last few months. The vet's best case scenario for survival with a DCM diagnosis at his stage is about a year. He's getting close to that. Over the last couple weeks, he's been having pee/poop accidents in the house. I was worried that he was becoming incontinent, which is typically a sign of being close to death. He seems to have improved though.

His biggest problem right now is that he has trouble getting around since he can't see. He lays around the house pretty much constantly but still has an appetite for food and water. His tail wags and he still gets excited when we give him attention too so I don't feel he's at the end yet.

I know a time will come soon when I'll probably have to make the decision to put him down and I hope I know when that time comes. It's obviously a difficult decision for you to have to make too, but not eating or drinking for almost two weeks probably means the end is here. You don't want your dog to suffer. I wish you all the best.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,455,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
To all my fellow 'muricans
I'm an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs