Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:13 AM

285 posts, read 200,373 times

Advertisements

My dachshund has developed skin problems (itchy flaky skin) but it's only on her paws and rear end. She's been on grain free food since I got her when she was 8 weeks old. One thing I've started doing is wiping her paws every day and putting triotic drops on the affected area and then making her wear the cone while the medicine dries (otherwise she'd lick it off). This seems to be helping. My dog has a yeast problem. Her weight is good though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 10:39 AM

7,154 posts, read 12,713,112 times
I do pet-sitting and I've noticed that many dogs who get frequent commercial treats with lots of additives-- and many with wheat and corn gluten--have GI issues (usually loose, watery and/or mucus-y stools) and/or itchy skins, lots of head shaking, paw licking. Best treats are those you make yourself with a single ingredient such as bits of chicken, turkey, low-fat beef, or beef/chicken liver and such. Even real bacon, reduced sodium, for an extra special treat to reward training--not the fake bacon treats. And dogs don't need much in the way of treats just as we humans don't need lots of chips and such if we're eating healthy nutritious meals. The commercial treats/snacks add little in the way of nutrition and pack a lot of calories plus too many additives and chemicals.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:38 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,877,523 times
I just think a lot of commercial dog foods are just not that great quality- even the so called "human grade" meat feeds are probably the `Grade D but edible' quality (which I saw once going into my school kitchen, as a kid)...
And the really premium kibbles are at least $3/ lb for that price you can do a really quality raw or home diet.
I also think the " all grains are bad" mantra is so over touted these days(its really the quality of the meats, and the fact that grains shouldn't dominate the food mix, even the grain free versions use fillers such as tomato pomace, peas, sweet potato, potato, etc).
Also one of my current dogs is fed poultry (raw and cooked but no cooked bones) with out issues but whenever she eats kibble with poultry as the meat ingredient, she gets itchy and chews her feet...

Yes I think my dogs are healthier d/t home cooked being a portion of their diet (we still feed 1/4 to 1/8 proportion of high quality kibble, just in case I m missing something in the nutrient mix, and for ease and affordability)-
I had an ancient boxer that had to be put down 1 month shy of 13 (pretty good for her breed) and a 14 year old airedale that were both fed home diets for a large portion of their lives that I think that helped..

Old 10-19-2016, 03:11 PM

285 posts, read 200,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I do pet-sitting and I've noticed that many dogs who get frequent commercial treats with lots of additives-- and many with wheat and corn gluten--have GI issues (usually loose, watery and/or mucus-y stools) and/or itchy skins, lots of head shaking, paw licking. Best treats are those you make yourself with a single ingredient such as bits of chicken, turkey, low-fat beef, or beef/chicken liver and such. Even real bacon, reduced sodium, for an extra special treat to reward training--not the fake bacon treats. And dogs don't need much in the way of treats just as we humans don't need lots of chips and such if we're eating healthy nutritious meals. The commercial treats/snacks add little in the way of nutrition and pack a lot of calories plus too many additives and chemicals.
That's a really good point! My vet told me that some dogs don't even tolerate chicken very well. I avoid dog food that has chicken now. The food I have right now (TOTW) has venison as the main ingredient. How do you feel about freeze dried beef liver for treats? My vet has a drawer full of it and gives my dog tons of it when I bring her in. I buy it at Trader Joe's for a couple dollars a bag and it's made in the USA and only one ingredient.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:19 PM

32,707 posts, read 48,291,572 times
I've never had a dog who had problems with grain with two exceptions. I've had two different dogs who could not tolerate wheat when they were elderly. It made them act like they had Alzheimers. Their minds cleared up when wheat was removed from their diets. They didn't have any problems with wheat when they were younger, and none of my other senior citizens have ever had issues with wheat.

My dogs get brown rice, oats, quinoa, millet, barley, and (rarely) wheat and corn with no issues.

I did have a dog with a brain tumor that had bad reactions to food coloring during her last year.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKate34 View Post
That's a really good point! My vet told me that some dogs don't even tolerate chicken very well. I avoid dog food that has chicken now. The food I have right now (TOTW) has venison as the main ingredient. How do you feel about freeze dried beef liver for treats? My vet has a drawer full of it and gives my dog tons of it when I bring her in. I buy it at Trader Joe's for a couple dollars a bag and it's made in the USA and only one ingredient.
If your dog likes the treat, has no weight issues and it's not overdone, this sounds fine. Especially if digestion, normal stools, skin and coat are in good shape, then your dog is doing okay with these treats...

And you're right some dogs don't do well with chicken (commercially raised chicken can have a lot of sodium added and antibiotics added to their feed)..some dogs cannot have ANY grains especially corn and wheat, while others do well with either or both. Best grains (those with fewest allergic reactions) seem to be oats, barley, brown rice...

It takes some experimenting to find the optimal diet for each individual dog and each dog will do better and be healthier on a specific diet you develop based on their reactions. I find the owners who are willing to stick with this trial and error to find the best diet for their pup can avoid large vet bills for GI issues and skin issues down the road.

I advise most clients to quit most treats other than those organic and with few additives. Single ingredients are best.

You might seek out the advice of a vet with a holistic approach to pet care...this seems to be a growing field.

But going own the path of a whole food diet seems to be the path to follow.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKate34 View Post
My dachshund has developed skin problems (itchy flaky skin) but it's only on her paws and rear end. She's been on grain free food since I got her when she was 8 weeks old. One thing I've started doing is wiping her paws every day and putting triotic drops on the affected area and then making her wear the cone while the medicine dries (otherwise she'd lick it off). This seems to be helping. My dog has a yeast problem. Her weight is good though.
Have you done any research on what could cause a yeast over-growth with your pup? Dairy products? Or? Of course, some dogs do have grass or inhalant allergies un-related to diet..but the yeast over-growth might indicate a dietary issue such as a need for pro-biotic. Itchy, flaky skin can mean the need for more fatty acids added to diet such as flax oil or fish oil. Do you have a holistic vet to consult?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs