Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 04:23 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,819,681 times

Advertisements

My 10-year-old beagle/cattledog mix has always had sporadic stomach problems (it could be intestines, I don't know, we just hear loud gurgling noises). I googled it and it's usually attributed to changing their food, and we don't change his food. He eats the same thing every night. Some mornings (like today) he is gurgling and doesn't want breakfast. (Well perhaps he wants some of what my husband's cooking, but he doesn't want HIS snacks.) This happens about once a week. What else could cause an upset stomach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 06:04 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
Our little old girl that we sadly had to put down at age 16 this summer had stomach issues like you describe for years! It was only after she was gone that I suddenly, (stupidly) wondered if she still had Giardia. (she was treated for it when she was a puppy, but maybe it didn't clear up totally?)

Worth a try to getting him checked out for it...

Giardia | Don't Let This Parasite Ruin Your Pet's Health

Old 12-15-2016, 04:18 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss. I haven't heard of giardia so thank you for telling me about it...I don't think he has it but I will talk to the vet about it. Appreciate your reply!

Old 12-15-2016, 09:30 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
My first thought is gas. Perhaps what you are feeding doesn't agree with the dog's tummy. Check your dog food for corn or corn by-products. I would avoid those, so if you see them on the ingredients, I would suggest changing to a food that had less grain in it. Give a new food a week or two and see if there is a difference.

BTW - I cook most of my dogs' diet. Using cheap chicken, I get a better quality food at a significantly lower price than commercial. However, it does take some of my time - so there is a trade-off.

Another thing you can do is to get some probiotics. You can buy a powder from your vet, or you can use probiotic OTC capsules from your local pharmacy. (Dose according to the package instructions by weight). I prefer the human-OTC-pharmacy brand, as it has more strains of probiotic bugs than the commercial probiotics that my vet has. But both are good and better than nothing. I only give them a course of these for a couple of weeks when starting - and after that only occasionally. Unless the dog gets antibiotics (which kill all the good gut bugs). Then I start them like new.

If you can get raw green tripe (beef, goat, or venison), you can feed your dogs that. It has to be raw - and then the dogs will get a good dose of natural probiotics from the tripe. My dogs get one meal of that per week. Problem is, you probably can't get raw green tripe. And, I want the tripe from grass-fed critters - not feed-lot animals. I have a raw dog-food source but you can't find this in a lot of places. If you found it in the freezer at your local pet-food store, that should be ok - but you might find it expensive. What I see in the pet-food store costs twice or more what I pay.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:42 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Add a teaspoon of baking soda to his food.

If he were my dog, I'd split his meal in half and give half at night and half in the morning. No dog at my place has ever had just one meal a day.

I don't give probiotic pills, but I do feed live culture yogurt.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:14 AM

Thank you! I'm surprised I have not heard about giving them a probiotic (or yogurt) before.

Just FYI for others who made read this, I emailed the vet about giardia and she said this:
Giardia is a relatively uncommon parasite found in natural water sources and the infection is normally short-lived (not chronic lifelong symptoms).
He could just have increased acid in his stomach and a 10mg pepcid each night before bed may help.

I would rather try yogurt before Pepcid.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
I would be looking for another Vet! The test for Giardia is Simple so is giving the Meds to cure it! AND ALL the dog needs to do is drink bad water! Drinking out of a puddle when you walk him after a rain. Pond or River... this can also inc licking wet paws. Farm dogs can also get it.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:13 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Giardia caused diarrhea. You'll know if the dog needs to be tested. It can be treated at home using one of the horse wormers. I can't remember which one, but it will come right up of you google it.

Found it. But the dog doesn't sound like he has giardia. More like a sour stomach, so I'd try the baking soda and yogurt first. He doesn't sound sick, so the vet might not be needed at this point. If the dog is really sick or doing poorly, then it is time for the vet. When in doubt, the vet should be the first stop.

Panacur is a medication effective for the treatment of many intestinal infections in dogs. Fenbendazole, the active ingredient in Panacur, ......... is also effective at fighting giardia, an intestinal protozoan which is contagious and easily spread through contaminated water and infected feces.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 12-16-2016 at 02:21 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 03:11 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,179 times
We have this issue with our dog. We try to give him a little bit to eat before bedtime because it seems to help. I think it is a combination of an empty stomach and acid. We will also give him some Pepcid (vet suggestion) in the morning when he doesn't eat; seems to clear it up.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:45 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,048,180 times
Every now and then my dog gets a really noisy gut at night (gurgling, squeaking etc) . She usually has to go out a couple of times during the night when this happens. If she is normal she sleeps right through the night. The noisy gut is preceded by a couple of days of going off her food. If we give her hamburger she will eat it but her frozen or canned food she isn't interested in.

We give her the three day course of panacur. It is dosed by the weight. She is 50 lbs so gets a 4 gram packet and a 1 gram packet.

https://www.amazon.com/Panacur-Canin...ywords=panacur

https://www.amazon.com/Panacur-Canin...ywords=panacur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Panacur is a medication effective for the treatment of many intestinal infections in dogs. Fenbendazole, the active ingredient in Panacur, ......... is also effective at fighting giardia, an intestinal protozoan which is contagious and easily spread through contaminated water and infected feces.
The very next day (after just the 1st dose) she is eating normal again and the noises are gone. She will also sleep right through the night again. We still give the second and third day does. You can get the boxes on Amazon.com. I think the noisy gut is due to some parasite she picked up, probably from eating bunny poop.

What do his poops look like? Are they slimy, loose or smelly? Do you see any parasites in them?

Last edited by mic111; 12-16-2016 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs