Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 11:51 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It's a breed trait. Beagles like most other scent hounds are bred to work and live in packs. They are much more likely to be distressed about being alone than, say, a labrador.
Ok, I'll go with breed trait. I've never noticed it more in beagles I've known than other dogs, but I've only known beagles as neighbors, not part of my household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 06:10 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,604 times
My dad was a trainer of working dogs and we had lots of beagles over the years. Like you, I love them. However, I agree with what other have said--they can be difficult housepets, particularly when they are the only dog. They are scenthounds and given the slightest opportunity, prone to wander. What they are smelling will usually have priority over what you are saying. They thrive on exercise and enrichment activities, particularly nosework. And most of them bark and howl at the slightest provocation. Unless you are an experienced owner, don't get a pup. Some older dogs can be delightful housepets, but be prepared for surprises. Bottom line, there are better choices for most people.

Here's some additional info: http://http://www.gotbeagles.org/ind...id=36&Itemid=8

Old 12-26-2016, 03:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
For what it's worth I have a beagle/springer mix and pure bred pocket beagle. In case you are wondering they were bred smaller so they could put them in saddle bags. At least that is what I've been told.

They like to lay on the back of the couch and look out into the yard. The mixed breed will bark at anything in the yard larger than a squirrel and will let you know if someone is coming down the driveway. There is two distinct barks for this and the "there is someone coming down the driveway" bark has some baying in it. The little one barks occasionally.

AFAIK they don't bay when I'm not at home, I do know when I get home I can see them through the window on the couch and their heads come up and then they will get excited. I'm pretty sure they just kind of lay around.

One thing I will warn you about is they both shed profusely. Both have beautiful coats and I often wonder where the hell it all comes from, it's enough you would think they would be bald. If I saved all the hair through the year I'd have enough for a very large pillow... no ****.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
They are scenthounds and given the slightest opportunity, prone to wander. What they are smelling will usually have priority over what you are saying.
Ours do seem to have a one track mind occasionally. If they see something it's very difficult to control them with voice commands. That said we let them run and they are rarely gone for more than 15 minutes.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:40 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Hey all,

So, I don't currently own any pets at the moment, because none are allowed where I live (it's a bit small for anything besides a cat anyways). However, I'm currently looking around for a larger apartment, hopefully one that will allow pets, including dogs.

My dilemma is that I love beagles (and hound-based breeds in general), but I'm being told that owning one in an apartment is a roll of the dice. Specifically, I'm told that they will start baying/barking at everything they hear from nearby neighbors while you're gone at work. I've also read that some beagles can get pretty bad separation anxiety, and that this will also cause them to be noisy/restless.

On the other hand, a friend of mine has a beagle. It's a very quiet, sweet dog that mostly sleeps/likes to be lazy all day, and rarely barks (it's a purebred too, IIRC).

Just curious if this is one of those things where it depends on the dog, or if I should avoid the breed altogether? I'm typically home by 4 in the afternoon, so I would be able to give it daily walks and exercise, with some longer/multiple walks on some days (I'm fairly active, so I enjoy being out and about anyways). What about some of the beagle-mixes out there? (I'd need to stick to fairly small-medium size dogs, most likely).

Thanks!
If you have your heart set on a particular breed, but you have specific needs about temperament, I would suggest finding a breed specific rescue and getting an older puppy /young adult.

Additionally, beagles are pack dogs by design, you might be better off adopting a sibling or bonded pair out of rescue.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
I had to put my beagle down last week. Spencer only howled when I got home from work or when another dog started barking. Damn good dog.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:45 AM

123 posts, read 203,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I had to put my beagle down last week. Spencer only howled when I got home from work or when another dog started barking. Damn good dog.
Sorry to hear about Spencer. Our Beagle is 12 yrs old, adopted him when he was 5 and my suggestion is really check out the "specific dog" your thinking on adopting. Personality, behavior and health should all be taken into consideration till you find the right pup. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:23 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
I would advise NOT getting a breed that is known to be a barker or has a lot of separation anxiety. My neighbor has a Jack Russell who will bark for hours if there are workers doing something around our condo complex. He has been given numerous warnings and was told if they received one more complaint he would have to move or get rid of the dog. Do YOU want to go through that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs