Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 03:58 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,574,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I have no idea why anyone who owns rentals would allow pets of any kind.
There are good pet owners out there.
We had two large dogs in two rental homes and two apartments. We left the places immaculate.
We often wondered why landlords would allow children. Friends of ours rented a house, and the kids set fire to the carpet and drew on the walls in permanent marker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 03:59 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,574,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Good Lord, I'm embarrassed. Did I really type UNSPRAYED? That's as bad as SPAYDED.

I'll blame it on spellcheck.
Oh the HORROR!!

Old 12-27-2016, 02:18 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,609,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoregirl8 View Post
I'm really concerned about my safety and the safety of others I see people outside with their kids and responsible dog owners with their dogs on a leash I would hate to have anything bad happen because they are irresponsible
In the tragic case of Diane Whipple, at least one of the two dogs had shown some level of aggression towards her before the day of the attack.

Have these dogs every made an aggressive move toward you? If they haven't, then you might continue to keep mace/pepper spray handy.

Personally, if I were as terrified as you of a particular animal, and the owners were not obeying the rules of the apartment building/complex where I lived, I would leave. If your fiance won't agree to leave; considering you are living in fear and the neighbors are liars; perhaps you should leave without your fiance.

I am sorry you are in this situation. I live in an apartment complex where dogs must be leashed in common areas, my own dog included of course.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:50 AM

230 posts, read 173,576 times
keep taking photos!!

Old 12-27-2016, 09:29 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,394,351 times
Honestly, I'd offload the boyfriend. He sounds like a dick.

The dog owners are psycho. You should not have to move because of them or take to carrying a firearm. I'd call a television station and the local papers. Texas has a problem with unleashed dogs - look what happened in Dallas earlier this year. Your fears are not unwarranted.

For now, get yourself a taser (or bear spray or whatever), keep your phone camera handy and keep animal control and the police on speed dial. And start reading up on functional romantic relationships.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:44 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times
Wow there's been a lot of hysteria on this thread and dooms day because a dog was off a leash? Yikes. Not all dogs off leash are vicious monsters waiting to attack, and just because you're afraid of dogs makes it more your problem then theirs if the dogs have not been aggressive towards you. Our idiot neighbor went after someone for walking this old frail blind dog off leash. Why? The poor old thing couldn't find it's way to bite anyone. I used to walk my Howie off leash as part of his training to follow hand commands. One size does not fit all. People who share common spaces have to find a way to coexist, dogs and all. Is the complex considered private property? If so then different rules may apply. I think the biggest question I have for you is were the dogs aggressive towards you in any way? I've met a lot of dogs that were considered to be aggressive breeds that were just big teddy bears.

I was walking down the street when this dog came bounding out of a back yard with an unsecured lock. The dog was in full attack mode when I stood my ground and acted aggressive towards it. It took two tries before the dog backed down and ran back into it's own yard. This was an "aggressive breed" type of dog, yet I didn't get bit.

If the dogs had indeed acted aggressively towards you then you have a legitimate complaint. If it's your fear of them that you're reacting to and the dogs have been nothing but friendly, then I say you have a problem. I've seen vicious chihuahua's and totally docile pit bulls. I'll take that docile pit bull over that vicious chihuahua any day.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:54 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny DeSurf View Post
keep taking photos!!
OP hasn't taken Any yet!

Old 12-27-2016, 12:14 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,434,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoregirl8 View Post
They were angry over the animal control visit they stopped using a leash for the "aggressive breed" dog.
the dog owner was outside with a large group of people and in a threatening manner
I don't want my fiancé or myself being attacked by a gang of people
I forgot to mention a family friends' husband was murdered over a similar situation
Sounds like you need a new bunch of folks to hang around and a new neighborhood.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:04 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,609,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Wow there's been a lot of hysteria on this thread and dooms day because a dog was off a leash? Yikes. Not all dogs off leash are vicious monsters waiting to attack, and just because you're afraid of dogs makes it more your problem then theirs if the dogs have not been aggressive towards you. Our idiot neighbor went after someone for walking this old frail blind dog off leash. Why? The poor old thing couldn't find it's way to bite anyone. I used to walk my Howie off leash as part of his training to follow hand commands. One size does not fit all. People who share common spaces have to find a way to coexist, dogs and all. Is the complex considered private property? If so then different rules may apply. I think the biggest question I have for you is were the dogs aggressive towards you in any way? I've met a lot of dogs that were considered to be aggressive breeds that were just big teddy bears.

I was walking down the street when this dog came bounding out of a back yard with an unsecured lock. The dog was in full attack mode when I stood my ground and acted aggressive towards it. It took two tries before the dog backed down and ran back into it's own yard. This was an "aggressive breed" type of dog, yet I didn't get bit.

If the dogs had indeed acted aggressively towards you then you have a legitimate complaint. If it's your fear of them that you're reacting to and the dogs have been nothing but friendly, then I say you have a problem. I've seen vicious chihuahua's and totally docile pit bulls. I'll take that docile pit bull over that vicious chihuahua any day.

I thought that the original poster said or implied that her apartment complex had rules requiring dogs to be on-leash. If that is the case, then she has a valid complaint about her neighbors' unleashed dogs. If there are no rules requiring the dogs to be on-leash outside their apartments and on the grounds of the apartment complex, and the dogs have not touched the original poster, that is a different matter. In either case, the original poster is terrified of the dogs; and I think would be better off living elsewhere.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:56 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I thought that the original poster said or implied that her apartment complex had rules requiring dogs to be on-leash. If that is the case, then she has a valid complaint about her neighbors' unleashed dogs. If there are no rules requiring the dogs to be on-leash outside their apartments and on the grounds of the apartment complex, and the dogs have not touched the original poster, that is a different matter. In either case, the original poster is terrified of the dogs; and I think would be better off living elsewhere.
I agree that the op should move or maybe hide under the covers to avoid seeing all dogs. Didn't the complaints of the dogs being unleashed go unacknowledged by both animal control and the apartment complex? Just because you're terrified of dogs does not mean the world should revolve around your fear. Unleashed dangerous dogs are one thing. Friendly dogs that like to run up for pets are quite another. Your phobia is your problem unless you are in harms way. I remember seeing this old woman walking down the street with her old dog off leash every day on my way to work. It made me smile. So did that nice young girl walking her dog off leash that stopped to help me take down some Halloween lights last November. The dog never left her side. One size does not fit all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs