Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:41 AM

890 posts, read 884,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
All I would like to say is do not give ANY dog rawhides. They should be banned. They can choke and I do know that from past experience years ago with our American Bulldog. Give them a Kong or a Nylabone instead.

Why Rawhide Is Dangerous For Your Dog!
Rawhides are my pitbull's favorite food. His teeth are perfect. The vet asked me why were his teeth so perfect, I told her rawhides. She told me to keep doing whatever I was doing. My dogs have never choked on them, I have owned dogs all my life. I did have a large boxer who amazingly would swallow them whole sometimes, but he never choked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 AM

811 posts, read 1,558,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Rawhides are my pitbull's favorite food. His teeth are perfect. The vet asked me why were his teeth so perfect, I told her rawhides. She told me to keep doing whatever I was doing. My dogs have never choked on them, I have owned dogs all my life. I did have a large boxer who amazingly would swallow them whole sometimes, but he never choked.
Did you read the article? And if you don't believe that one, there are plenty of others! It's OK with you to give your dog dangerous crap (and I am not just talking about the choking)? My dogs teeth are also great but it's not because of rawhide, I can assure you of that.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
Did you read the article? And if you don't believe that one, there are plenty of others! It's OK with you to give your dog dangerous crap (and I am not just talking about the choking)? My dogs teeth are also great but it's not because of rawhide, I can assure you of that.
My vet did not object. My dog is healthy in every way. I will feed him rawhide, just as I have my other dogs. I have never had a dog die young. They all have made it to a ripe old age.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:23 AM

454 posts, read 495,951 times
If this is your first dog, OP, you might want to consider a different breed. I love my pibble to death but I didn't get one until after owning other dogs first and getting extensive training for them and myself. I know, different strokes for different folks but that way really worked for me.

Getting an apartment is going to be very, very difficult with a pibble, too.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:04 AM

Have the shelter evaluate the dog with you. They won't place a dangerous dog with you. Also explain that the dog will be in an apartment. My pit was the easiest dog to train. I should have named him cuddles, a very affectionate and loving dog. Great with children, and he is not dog aggressive.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,265,916 times
Where in California? You better do your research, first. Renting with a pit bull in California is tough.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:19 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
I am thinking of rescuing a Pitbull. I will be looking to rent an apartment in the spring/summer of 2017. Is it difficult to rent an apartment with a Pitbull?
Let's see:

I know that most landlords do not like to rent to people with dogs. If landlords rent to people with dogs, they almost always have a size limit and only rent to small dogs. The landlords who will rent to dogs do not rent to a list of "dangerous" breeds and pitbulls are on that list. That means that almost no landlord will rent to anyone with a pitbull.

Hey, I know. I'm a tenant and I think I'll get myself a great big pitbull!

I think that you can puzzle it out for yourself, OP.

By the way, even if you find a place that will rent to you with a pitbull, do you plan to stay there for 16 years until your dog dies? Can you guarantee that the place will never have a new owner or a change of policy, or a new insurance company that won't insure when there is a pitbull on the property? What happens if you lose that apartment and have to move and can't find another landlrod who will accept a pitbull? Give the dog away? Put the dog to sleep? Live in a cardboard box behind a dumpster with your dog?

There are hundreds of thousands of dogs who need homes that are not on any dangerous dog lists. Many of them are under the size limit for an apartment building.

Any dog (or any sort of pet) is going to make it difficult to rent an apartment. A pitbull will make it virtually impossible. If you must have a dog get a breed with a better reputation that is under 25 pounds.

Much better, wait until you are a home owner before you get a pitbull. You'll still have insurance problems, but they are your insurance problems and not the landlord's.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
I do live I CA and I know from many of my coworkers that finding rentals that allow dogs is difficult. Add pit bull or pit mixes to that it becomes even more difficult as even if your landlord likes the breed most insurance companies do not.

Having said that I will say there are a lot of pittie type dogs in this town and many with college aged kids so not sue where they all find housing but our shelters and rescues are also full of the pittie types which can make it difficult to adopt a none pittie bred locally. I do have a nephew in Long Beach and he and his wife rent an apartment a block off the beach and they have a pitbull as do several of their friends who are renters so it is not impossible just difficult.

I myself would wait until my life was more settled and I owned a home or condo to get a pitbull.I had a dog when I was a renter and there was always that what if I have to move worry .Of course back then my parents would have taken the dog until I found a place as they were big time animal lovers and loved my dog but I would have then been 120 miles away fro my dog, Once I bought a place all that worry was gone and I have not only had one dog but two and even tnree ever since.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,279,441 times
Ditto on the posts that recommended waiting until one can own the home. You don't want to adopt a dog, and like many others on Craigslist and whatnot, end up having to rehome it when moving or landlord changed the terms or increase pet fees and rent on the next lease renewal. At the end of the day, that is not your property to do what you wish.

In the meantime, if you are set on getting a companion, a cat or bonded pair works. Most landlords are fine with cats but not dogs. Fish keeping is fun and challenging too. It takes more than dumping a fish in a bowl. Selecting the correct fish community, the right filter, type of food (not all eats flake food) that either sinks, floats or as a staple or treat, etc. Lastly, if you aren't afraid of reptiles, bearded dragons can make good pets. They don't bite, docile, easy to handle and enjoy human attention. Downside is the set up costs and keeping live insects as feeders.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
I am thinking of rescuing a Pitbull. I will be looking to rent an apartment in the spring/summer of 2017. Is it difficult to rent an apartment with a Pitbull?
Why a pitbull?

Anyway, first find an apartment that will take a pitbull. And yes, it will be difficult to find an apartment that will accept dogs, but one that will accept a pitbull will be even more difficult... and might make your rent more expensive. Many landlords will want a damage deposit from renters with dogs. And if that stretches your budget, then also consider how much vet bills (annual physical, shots and heartworm pills) and licensing fees will be for owning a dog.

Perhaps go to a local dog park and meet some pitbull owners to ask their advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs