Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:51 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times

Advertisements

I want to thank everyone in advance.

Joey my Mini Assie is a Submissive peer. The 1st 2 Days we had her she didn't do anything.... but the Kevin was crawling on his belly & taking her out of the crate to pee since she was scared of the leash & fighting it. I Cant get down to her level & I Cant put the crate up on my level since she weighs 30#. So I Tried leaving a leash on her ...she chewed it up! Tried leaving the tie out rope on her Slathered with Ben-Gay.... a Trick I used in the past with other dogs. BUT She chewed that up too!

Now I thinking of Light weight Chain About 6' long just so she can go in & out of the crate & I can attach the rope to that. What I worried about is HOW SAFE would this be inside of a crate? BTW its a wire crate.

Ideas would be a big help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 11:13 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
is she a puppy? so you have an ex pen? put the crate inside the pen and give her a bit more room. take her out as frequently as possible. talk and praise her and give her high value treats when you leash her up to go outside.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:17 PM

Not puppy 2 years old on the 22nd. She ignores food. While I am putting a leash on her she is flooding the floor. With the rope all I need to do is open the door while I walk by & open the patio door. BTW she jumps 8' fences!

Old 02-18-2017, 02:13 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
I would not feel safe leaving a leash or chain on a dog in a crate. Too much risk for a disaster. Has the vet ruled out a possible UTI? One of my foster dogs last year would urinate when I bent down to attach her leash to go out. She actually tucked her tail between her legs, flattened to the ground and would circle, peeing the entire time. We dismissed it to submissive urination but I started to suspect a UTI and begged the rescue to let me take her to the vet. Sure enough, she had a UTI. In less than a week on antibiotics there was a marked improvement. Still an occasional tinkle but the flooding stopped.

Do you use a collar or a harness? I leave my fosters' harnesses on always, it's quick and easy to attach the leash to the hook on the dog's back.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:51 AM

231 posts, read 334,632 times
You let your dog chew on a leash that was slathered with ben gay????

Old 02-18-2017, 08:20 AM

Most dog Don't Lick or Chew Anything with Ben Gay on it! So No it is NOT dangerous. Joey strange tho

Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
What about practicing putting the leash on her while giving her treats? Then continue taking outside on the lead while still giving her treats and praising her. And don't ever punish or scold her while she is leashed. Treats and praise always work better than scolding.

It seems like she needs to associate the leash with good times.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:03 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I want to thank everyone in advance.

Joey my Mini Assie is a Submissive peer. The 1st 2 Days we had her she didn't do anything.... but the Kevin was crawling on his belly & taking her out of the crate to pee since she was scared of the leash & fighting it. I Cant get down to her level & I Cant put the crate up on my level since she weighs 30#. So I Tried leaving a leash on her ...she chewed it up! Tried leaving the tie out rope on her Slathered with Ben-Gay.... a Trick I used in the past with other dogs. BUT She chewed that up too!

Now I thinking of Light weight Chain About 6' long just so she can go in & out of the crate & I can attach the rope to that. What I worried about is HOW SAFE would this be inside of a crate? BTW its a wire crate.

Ideas would be a big help!

How long have you had this dog, and what is her age ?

Never never leave a dog in a crate with a leash on ! and I'm sorry I even read about the BenGay ! and you are concerned about safety ? !!

NO CHAINS or anything to tie up this dog in a crate. It is not a 'trick', it is abuse.

Is this dog living in a wire crate ? You would pee too if you had a human putting you in and out of a crate. This dog needs to be socialized with people and children.

Totally irresponsible. This dog is most likely afraid of either you or its surroundings and pees when nervous. At the very least, please take the dog to a good veterinarian soon.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
How long have you had this dog, and what is her age ? 2 years old today & I had her for 2 weeks 2 days

Never never leave a dog in a crate with a leash on ! and I'm sorry I even read about the BenGay ! and you are concerned about safety ? !! Nothing wrong with Ben Gay! The Smell alone stops 99% of dogs from bothering things.

NO CHAINS or anything to tie up this dog in a crate. It is not a 'trick', it is abuse. How? I Not tieing her TO the Crate! Its a 50' rope so she can go outside to potty. And play theo other day she was playing with 2 neighbor kids & another neighbor lady came over to pet her. ONLY ones in danger was us Humans when she kept wrapping the rope around us I think the kids were encouraging her tho

Is this dog living in a wire crate ? You would pee too if you had a human putting you in and out of a crate. This dog needs to be socialized with people and children.

Totally irresponsible. This dog is most likely afraid of either you or its surroundings and pees when nervous. At the very least, please take the dog to a good veterinarian soon. Been to the Vet Clean Bill of Health. Yes she still scared she in a Totally different environment than she use to.... Farm dog to Apt dog in 16 days!

Old 02-22-2017, 04:23 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
I would not leave a dog in a crate with a rope or leash. I would also not use ben gay as a chewing deterrent. Even if the dog doesn't chew it, it could be absorbed through its paws or skin if it comes in contact with the rope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs