Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:33 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,037,140 times

Advertisements

You might try sprinkling an envelope of FortiFlora on her food. It's a probiotic supplement that stimulates appetite. On the rare occasions my girl sticks up her nose, FortiFlora does the trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 08:46 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,204,720 times
I agree with giving her probiotics, especially the ones made for dogs' digestive systems.
Just like with people, antibiotics can kill all the good bacteria in the gut, and cause nausea, lack of appetite etc.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:38 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,458,537 times
I jsut saw this thread and I hope the problem has been fixed by now. But, if not, I have a suggestion.

My dear 13-year-old dog bloated and had to have emergency surgery. Because of complications, she came home a couple of weeks later with 3 antibiotics. The vets told me that she was preparing to die because she had stopped eating. So I force-fed her for the next two months, while she was on those antibiotics. (I googled them and saw that anorexia was a side effect of all three.)

I bought canned cat food and tins of dog food for small dogs (Cesar brand). Several times a day I'd scoop up a small amount of that food and rub it on the roof of her mouth. I'd feed her that way until she'd swallowed a couple of cans of either the cat food or the dog food (they were all small cans/tins).

When I was finally able to stop the antibiotics, her appetite returned within 18 hours. She lived a great life for another 18 months. When her heart finally gave out and I took her to that same emergency clinic to give her the sad gift of release, everyone there was shocked that she had lived so long. No one thought the antibiotics would affect her appetite so adversely.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:43 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
OP: Applesauce mixed with small curd cottage cheese always worked for our Walter.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:48 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,466,271 times
I've had luck with yogurt when they wouldn't eat anything else.

There's also a great food made by 'Wellness' called "ninety-five percent". It is available in Salmon, Lamb, Chicken, Turkey and Beef and it is simply 95% meat and the remainder is water. It's smelly, but a little bland and easy for them to digest when they're feeling bad. I know PetSmart has it and you can find it online as well.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I brought her home from the vet and tried...cottage cheese, smoked salmon, baby food, eggs.......she wouldn't even sniff them. The vet had also stopped the antibiotics and provided her with an appetite stimulant and anti-nausea meds.

She went back to the vet the following day and had more fluids. The vet was able to get her to eat a little gastro-kibble (but not the wet variety). Since then she has continued to eat the kibble, but still ignores everything else. Weird, but I'm super happy she is eating again and getting some strength back!

Old 03-04-2017, 05:37 AM

Many antibiotics affect a dog's appetite and the dog wont be interested in any kind of food. I know -- I even tried steak and other tasty and smelly foods when my old dog wouldnt eat.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I had to force-feed her because there was no way she was going to eat on her own. If you use the right foods (in my case, I used canned cat and dog food), you can smear it up against the roof of the dog's mouth and get the dog to swallow it by rubbing the throat. I'd recommend putting a towel underneath the dog because some food may fall out of the mouth.

It doesnt sound pleasant and it can be messy. To be honest, I hated every minute of it. But my dog had to stay on the three antibiotics because of her emergency surgery -- there was no option to discontinue them. And it did work. She got enough food that way to get through the anoxeria.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:55 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,339,085 times
Have you tried boiling some hamburger and then mixing it with some rice? I've never seen a dog not eat that or liverwurst.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,981,405 times
Satin Balls. There are many recipes on the internet. I have used it with my starving rescue Danes and it is by far the best thing I have used for severely ill or malnourished dogs. It is a special recipe of high fat raw hamburger mixed with corn flakes, molasses, egg shells, and a few other ingredients. It can be given alone or mixed with kibble. Since your dog isn't starving, I would mix it in with her kibble. It tastes delicious to dogs, is very high calorie, and keeps them nourished. You can cut the recipe to make a smaller amount.

Red Rover

Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 AM

There is a difference between a dog who doesnt want to eat and a dog who is taking antibiotics that make him anorexic. When a dog is on certain antibiotics, he absolutely will not eat anything. He may want to eat but he just cant. In those cases, there is no food, no matter how tempting, that will be successful. In those cases, force-feeding is the only way (outside of having a feeding tube implanted) to get enough nourishment into the dog to get/keep him healthy while he's on the antibiotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs