Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:32 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times

Advertisements

My very stubborn 12 year old girl is taking an antibiotic that is upsetting her stomach and she is not eating. She is not eating her kibble, her wet food, or plain chicken and rice. She was offered baby food at the vet today. Nope. She was offered gastro prescription food. Nope. Nothing.

She needs to continue the antibiotic for at least a few more days.

Any ideas what may trigger her to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 02:40 PM

3,314 posts, read 3,058,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
My very stubborn 12 year old girl is taking an antibiotic that is upsetting her stomach and she is not eating. She is not eating her kibble, her wet food, or plain chicken and rice. She was offered baby food at the vet today. Nope. She was offered gastro prescription food. Nope. Nothing.

I used to get my picky greyhound to eat by putting a tiny bit of grated Parmesan on his food. My other dogs loved plain yogurt. and that might help her tummy too

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2017, 03:22 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,411,811 times
Quote:

She is no dummy, gets a pill then gets pain in her body.

Is there a different antibiotic she could take instead?

I always feel so bad for animals having to take meds because they can't tell us how
bad it makes them feel yet to get better they must.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:26 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,133,537 times
Having food in her tummy to prevent the antibiotic from further upsetting it is a must...you'll have to find the yummiest thing ever to top her food with to entice her to eat. Merrick has some wonderful canned foods called Wingaling, Grammy's Pot Pie and Smothered Comfort...these flavors will entice my dogs to eat every time. Plus it's a good food so you won't need to feel like you're giving her crap food.

I hope something like this works...the yogurt is a great idea too. Maybe a soft scrambled egg...or some stinky fish like sardines along with rice. Keep trying. I'm sure you'll come up with something for her.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:01 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,612,742 times
Quote:

Will she eat ice cream? most dogs love it. Maybe a bit of cooked hamburg, mashed potatoes ?
Important that she drinks water.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:37 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,997,922 times
They make an anti-nausea med that dogs can take. Ask your vet for it.

Try making a runny slurry of (good) plain yogurt and her favorite good quality canned dog food. Heat it just a tiny bit to take take any chill off it and release the smells. She may take it right from from the spoon or you could pour a bit over a spoonful of her kibble and let it soak in.

I would wait until the last minute to give her the meds to allow her stomach to settle a bit, and then offer her the slurry mix. If she won't take it then try dabbing a bit on her nose or lip to stimulate her interest. You may need to do this a few times before she decides to take a little of it. Once she has a bit in her stomach, then give the meds.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:00 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,022,101 times
I have found it rather surprising what different dogs consider "high-value" treats. My hounds used to love dried liver. My English Shepherds will barely touch it.

I would suggest you keep offering different things until you find things that your dog considers "high-value" treats. Maybe it will be raw beef. Maybe simple carrot sticks. Don't worry about whether it is human food or not (except not grapes or chocolate).

Old 02-28-2017, 06:05 PM

965 posts, read 944,271 times
A little bit of Braunschweiger is nice and stinky. I agree with the above, especially twelvepaw's advice to get anti nausea meds. Great advice!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:45 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,085,181 times
Scrambled eggs sometimes get turned down by my bratty old dog, chicken broth with scrambled egg sometimes work but raw lamb rarely gets ignored. You may need to hand feed your pup in order to get her to eat something, usually they won't turn down hand feeding.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,580,276 times
It may come down that you'll have to use a syringe and feed her baby food mixed with water, or yogurt, or something else that is liquid enough to be squirted into her mouth.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs