Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you board your pet or not?
Yes, I board it with no worries. 12 30.77%
Yes, I board it but I worry when it's boarded. 12 30.77%
No, I don't board it at all, too worried or refuse to. 15 38.46%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,600,345 times

Advertisements

I board my chocolate lab with a couple who run their business out of their house. She has the run of their house just like she does at home. It's a much better situation than leaving her at a kennel where she would be caged up most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 09:04 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,281,547 times
I feel the need to expound on my vote, which is no. I worked at the only boarding kennel in our city for more than a decade. Since I left I know for a fact that they do not disinfect properly, for the greater part of 3 years they've had kennel cough. Granted, kennel cough can be found in Spring and Fall almost anywhere, but this has been ongoing.

Knowing this is what makes me not want to board my dog there. I'm lucky that I have a few friends of whom I can trust wholly and they look after my dog the few times I'm out of town.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 AM

34 posts, read 20,455 times
I have a service dog and a pet dog. I've only had to board the service dog once (because where I was going wasn't safe for him) but my family boards the other quite often when they come visit me at school, or even when I'm home and we go on vacation.

The first time we boarded her and went to pick her up, we never boarded her again. The place had amazing reviews and the front of it/lobby was amazing! We felt very confident. They let us take her back to the dog area and we started feeling less confident. The dogs were all in cages with a concrete floor. The beds resembled a mini trampoline (no good cushioning) with a thin fleece blanket on them. There was a little door to the outside which was nice but that was it. By that point we had no other option and it was only for a night, so we thought it wouldn't be so bad

In the morning, completely regretted it. She was so sad but very happy to see us. We haven't boarded her in a traditional boarding place since. Usually now we use boarder apps (or I guess like dog sitter app?) like Rover. This probably sounds like a promo post but I'd 100% recommend. Obviously you have to be careful, but we just always stick with people with lots of reviews and high ratings and our dog is much happier My family swears she's sad to come home sometimes

Old 03-26-2017, 11:06 AM

910 posts, read 2,334,804 times
Thanks for everyone's responses so far. I understand why there are a few who would not board their dog. I wouldn't do it if I didn't need to, but I didn't have my dog of 17 years, and now my new little one, dictate whether or not I will go on a trip or not. For those who have friends or relatives nearby who can take in your dog, you are very fortunate. My first dog did not like being boarded but dealt with it, and I have to train my new one not to be so clingy and maybe leave it with a doggie daycare or just board it every now and then so it won't go through a traumatic experience the first time it will have to be boarded for an extended period.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:08 AM

Like I said, you should definitely look into the apps that offer dog babysitters. Overnight and extended is an option, and it's usually just as cheap (if not even cheaper as a lot offer promotions)

Old 03-26-2017, 11:18 AM

910 posts, read 2,334,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc94 View Post
Like I said, you should definitely look into the apps that offer dog babysitters. Overnight and extended is an option, and it's usually just as cheap (if not even cheaper as a lot offer promotions)
Like an Uber or Lyft for dog babysitting? I'll look into it, thanks

Old 03-26-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Like an Uber or Lyft for dog babysitting? I'll look into it, thanks
Probably a bit closer to Airbnb! A lot of the websites (I'll ask my family which one they use. I think it's Rover) have sitters that are background verified (i'd stick with those). You can also find one that fits your dogs needs best. Hope you find something that works for you, whatever it is

Old 03-26-2017, 12:16 PM

634 posts, read 401,315 times
So glad you decided to keep your new puppy!

I board my two with a guy who came highly recommended and although he's not cheap by any means, he loves dogs, they have the run of the house and sleep with him every night. Still, I do worry about them when I'm gone (usually for 2 weeks at a time), but when they come home, its like they were away for a walk with him, so that's a good sign.

I'd recommend you find a similar situation if you can and check references. I'd hate to leave my two in a kennel environment - being confined all the time would be horrible IMO. Oh and I also agree that the little guy should be socialized before potentially leaving him with other dogs.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:18 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,458,537 times
When I have to leave my dog, I always pay someone to come in 3-4 times a day to feed her and let her out in the back yard for a while.

I would never, not ever, board my dog at a veterinary clinic. I worked for a vet once and saw how boarded dogs are crated 23.5 hours a day. And it wasnt just my vet who did that -- I talked with vet techs at other clinics and learned they all do that. Ask to see where your dog will be boarded at a vet clinic and I guarantee you'll see either a room of crates or a small run. From Saturday afternoons until Monday mornings -- and on weeknights -- the dogs are left alone. Someone comes in once or twice on Sundays to feed/exercise the dogs but that's it. I've also known of many cases where dogs got loose when being walked/exercised at a vet clinic and were never found.

In an emergency, I might consider leaving my dog at a boarding facility IF that facility provided separate rooms (not kennels) for each dog -- and also had in-room cameras where I could check in and see my dog 24/7 -- and also had a fully-fenced exercise area so my dog was never in an unenclosed area at all.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:50 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
We boarded our dog when he was younger but the last few times we've been able to patch together a network of people to come in and take care of him. We have a nice facility here on a few acres when we do need to board him but I know he prefers to be home and he's trustworthy to leave alone in the house. Usually it's my niece who comes in to take care of him and spend some time with him and my parents will come visit him too, LOL. He's also good security as he goes nuts when anyone comes on our property and most people will scurry away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs