Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you board your pet or not?
Yes, I board it with no worries. 12 30.77%
Yes, I board it but I worry when it's boarded. 12 30.77%
No, I don't board it at all, too worried or refuse to. 15 38.46%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:14 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times

Advertisements

Yes. We use a dog daycare/hotel. Rooms, not crates. Indoor and outdoor play areas (even a water park that she loves). I use them for daycare once a week as well (cleaning day) or when I need to be out for longer than a few hours. She is used to the place and gets excited to be there as soon as we pull up. It may be the most expensive place in town but it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 06:30 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We have not boarded our current dog, but we have boarded other dogs. We always tried to find a good caring secure place. Then, we left without a second thought. Upon our return, our dog was very happy to see us. Dogs are simple creatures. If they are warm dry and not hungry, they are fine.

At some point, we will board our current dog. We will probably use the kennel at the vet, because they seem very caring.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:22 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
We used a kennel all of the time with our last dog. It's a great feeling to have a kennel that you trust.

With this puppy (8 months old) we haven't boarded him yet but once he is a year old or so I will start getting him used to one.

It's a good idea to get any dog adjusted to a kennel. You never know when you will need to use one.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I prefer to have a petsitter come to the house 4 times a day for my Westie and Yorkie, but will board if I have to.

Although a week IS a long time to be let in and let out, I think my Yorkie prefers it to the chaos and noise of a kennel.

I used to take them to Pet Palace and get a 'Villa" and a webcam but it cost almost as much as my vacation.

I have a neighbor that sits dogs for a living and she is my favorite way to care for my dogs for a 4-5 day time away.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I board mine occasionally, but I take her crate for her to sleep in. I trust them to take good care of her, but for some reason she always comes home with a rash or scrape on her belly. Not sure if it's just some sort of hives from being stressed out, or if something physical happens - like they give her a bath and she jumps up or off of the table and that somehow gives her a bruised belly? It doesn't look like a dog bite, so it's some type of bruise or just a rash.

I thought it was a fluke the first time, but this last time she had it again. If I need to board her again, I'll talk to the owner about it. I trust her completely, but she does have hired help, so maybe they aren't as careful? I don't know.

I don't like the idea of pet sitters in my home going through my stuff. And human nature is such that the majority of people will go through your stuff. And I worry about trusting someone not to lose her if they just take her to their home. Whereas a boarding facility will be fenced, etc.

I do think it's important to find some type of boarding answer, though, because you never know when you'll need it.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:15 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
We have some good pet sitters, so that would be another category.

As far as if we had to board again fit my vote in somewhere between the second and third. When we did board, we worried and I would call daily. And we will try to have boarding as our last option going forward. Pet sitters or take them with us first. Last choice, board and worry.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:50 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
No never have never will.. I take him with us on holiday and as we dont go abroad now it suits us.. we just have to find dog friendly acc... and there are plenty.. I wouldnt board my child out so now not for me..

Old 04-14-2017, 07:34 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
We dont and havent boarded. When on vacation we have a sitter come. $10/hr to let them out a couple times a day.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
We've used several different boarding facilities over the years, and our dogs always came home with "something", usually a UTI type infection. While we had several high school kids in the neighborhood, we hired them to come 4 xs daily.

Our best experience, and the route we always choose these days, is a woman who pet sits in her home.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:34 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Did you all see the news story recently about the Great Pyrenees that opened 4 doors and escaped from a boarding facility? Smarty pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs