Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 04:27 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,279,213 times

Advertisements

Expect that his real personality (likes and dislikes) won't fully show until 2-3 weeks later.

Set your rules and boundaries at the start and stick to it. Is he allowed on the couch? On the bed?

Designated spot for eating, where the kids won't bother him and no foot traffic. It can be in his crate, the laundrt room, or somewhere quiet. Not the kitchen. Mealtime should never start and end stressful. This can lead to food insecurities, which results in food possesiveness or aggression. Kids love to pet the dog while he eats but tha is a no no.

Set schedule for feeding and walks. The more predictable things are for him, the better.

Separation anxiety is a real, common problem. You may start to see small signs in about 3 weeks or so when he is bonded to the main caregiver. It can be whining while you are out of his sight, following you from room to room, etc. This can progress to more severe anxiety like chewing up the house or crate, howling, extreme distress,etc... upon your leaving him alone at the house. Your dog may only show the minor symptoms and be okay. Or, it may get as bad as hurting himself to get to you, which is rare but it happens. Crate training do not thwarts this anxiety, it may soothe his stress but the anxiety remains. Which leads to me last point:

From day one, do not be clingy with your dog and do not allow him to cling unto you. He may seek confirmation from you that all is fine by a pet on his head. You may give him kisses and hugs. But he needs to earn most of his rewards by simple tasks, like sitting, staying and being calm. Do not greet him every time in an overly excited manner. Wait 5 minutes, make eye contact and say hi, pet him on the head. Spend time leaving him home alone too. This will teach him that your return is not a big deal and that you do come back.

Do not be afraid to ask for help using force free methods and positive reinforcement.

Chewy.com is your best friend when it comes to ordering pet food and supplies.

Lastly, enjoy your dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
Thanks guys!

A lot has transpired over the past two days. Cheesenugget, wish I read your post earlier about clinginess. He's innately velcro but we can be a little bit more low key.

Still a work in progress! Found out the other day that I need to go easy on the walks since he's a senior. It's a classic case of him having a lot of stamina in the first part of the walk but then tiring easily. I don't want to push him too hard. Also he is now being a picky eater. As far as transitioning goes, he is really great. Our Golden, bless his heart, took months. This dog really seems to want to fit in and is very treat motivated, so that goes a long way. We are going to schedule training soon so that we can all communicate with each other. We've already taught him "sit" and "gentle" and "kennel". It's just fun being with him....

Old 07-17-2017, 10:41 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,648 times
He sounds so cute

Old 07-17-2017, 06:26 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,704,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Thanks guys!

A lot has transpired over the past two days. Cheesenugget, wish I read your post earlier about clinginess. He's innately velcro but we can be a little bit more low key.

Still a work in progress! Found out the other day that I need to go easy on the walks since he's a senior. It's a classic case of him having a lot of stamina in the first part of the walk but then tiring easily. I don't want to push him too hard. Also he is now being a picky eater. As far as transitioning goes, he is really great. Our Golden, bless his heart, took months. This dog really seems to want to fit in and is very treat motivated, so that goes a long way. We are going to schedule training soon so that we can all communicate with each other. We've already taught him "sit" and "gentle" and "kennel". It's just fun being with him....
Can you PLEASE post a pic? Adopted senior dogs are a personal favorite of mine!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,387,837 times
I may have to steal the name Voodoo for my next Catahoula...

Old 07-18-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Can you PLEASE post a pic? Adopted senior dogs are a personal favorite of mine!
Sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I may have to steal the name Voodoo for my next Catahoula...
Lol!

Well third day today and unfortunately voodoo peed on the wood floor. This wasn't due to the urge to urinate as he usually warns us when he needs to go potty. We're at a loss as to why this happened. He just lifted his leg by the bannister and let er rip. My husband wiped the pee up but now we're concerned about him returning to that same spot and peeing. Any suggestions? We really felt good that we reinforced his housetraining but now this happened :/

Old 07-18-2017, 03:54 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,648 times
Did you clean it with that Natures Miracle stuff?

He might just be nervous still

Old 07-18-2017, 07:29 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,882,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Thanks guys!

I LOVE you for adopting a SENIOR. I did too as I could not commit to 10-15 years of dog ownership.

I use plain Cheerios in a treat ball as they have no dyes/preservatives etc, are lo-cal compared to actual treats and low cost as well! I do not use treats in general, just when she's left alone, in a treat ball, for distraction.

I have always cooked my own dog food, you may consider if he is a picky eater. I make a batch and it lasts 3 weeks (I freeze in small Tupperwares) as she is 4lb, when I had two 65lb dogs a batch lasted a week so it's not like you have to cook daily. It really is easy peasy. I add eggs WITH shell then crush em up in the pot with the meat/starch/veg.

Edit: re the urinating. Could be territorial marking now that he's more relaxed in the home. Less likely but possible: UTI.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:17 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,254,394 times
All this advice and I didn't follow any of it and have had not one problem. However, I did merge a rescue three year old male Malamute in a family that had a four year female and myself.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:37 AM

Well can't explain the urination thing. Maybe it was territorial marking (he is fixed). Our last dog peed in the house three times in his life, so keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the same!

He's been here almost a week. Trying to juggle the rabbit who thinks he's a cat (he LOVES...craves...attention from humans) and the velcro dog who must have us in his sight at all times.

Adjustment can be intense, but it feels so good to have a house with pets again after six years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs