Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:29 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,176,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
I second this with emphasis. Love you for this

I think a sign would be way cute (Granny On Board)
I was kidding about the sign, I'm not actually bothered by the comments because I do think it is being done in a good natured attempt to just kid around, but I really like this idea. How cute!

Old 08-28-2017, 07:30 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,404,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We recently adopted a 14-year old pug mix from the shelter, she really didn't move around or respond while in the kennel and no one had expressed any interest in her. I was told by the workers that she had more or less lost the will to live, so I basically took her home to have a comfortable place to be until died. Her back legs wouldn't let her walk very far, like as in not from our front door to the street, so we had to leave her in the house whenever we walked the other dogs. She would watch as we left, sometimes whimper, and looked so depressed it broke my heart.

So after reaching ways to help her I ended up getting a dog stroller. Boy, oh, boy talk about a game changer. At first she just laid there but once she figured out what was going on she sat up and started looking around tail thumping. Now she gets excited every time we start getting the leashes out. Ever since we started using it it's as if she has been given a new lease on life.

However....... man, oh, man do the neighbors ever give us grief over it. Even strangers walking their own dogs do. LOL - I feel like putting a sign on it saying "elderly disabled dog on board"

At any rate, it was an excellent investment for her.
I've observed some of my neighbors using a stroller or wagon for their dogs. I don't think twice about it because I know that will be me and my pooch in the not-so-distant future. Their lives are so short that we owe it to them to provide them with the best life we're able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:15 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times
Apart from dog haters, I can't imagine why anyone would make a negative comment.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,383,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why are people so judgmental?
Exactly.

I've found that the older I get, the less tolerant I am becoming over the judgemental comments, stares, and confrontations of others, both online and in real life. [And as an aside, the more I'm online, the more it seems we are encountering a new revolution of people who are convinced that their opinion is the only one that's right, who are always the first to jump in and let everyone who posts about "x" is wrong, who will criticize and who vehemently verbally attack those around them, every chance they get. It seems that our species is transitioning into a crowd of hateful, vengeful, unsympathetic cowards. Enough about that...definitely another topic for another day.]

Anyway...several years ago I saw a woman at a local park with a stroller, and sitting ever so proudly in it was her cat, head up, alert to everything, and obviously enjoying himself. At the time I thought, "I wish I could be so brave as to do this with a pet, considering all of the rude stares, whispers, and uncalled-for comments that inevitably follow"...and this woman did receive more than her share of them, living in an area where pet strollers simply are frowned upon. Well, years later...I've finally come to accept that no other person's opinion counts, other than your own. If someone is giving a pet a good quality of life, and 'be damned' whatever others think, that is what ultimately is most important.

OP, I could hug you for what you've done for your new (older) pup. Kudos to you for finding a solution that includes all of your dogs, and accommodates your new dog's needs. How many people would have the initiative to do this? I suspect not too many, but you are setting an example to all around you, showing others that not only can solutions be found, but also in not worrying about what anyone else might think, you are showing others that, ultimately, what matters is the dog's own happiness.

And yes...thank you...more times than I can say.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:09 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,122,737 times
^^^what bassetluv said^^^ I could not have said it better.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:59 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,251,606 times
Just beautiful! You have given another "furbaby" a chance for a great life of unconditional love. Thank you, your post brought me to tears as a hugged our 4 yr. old "shelter pet"! kelsie

Old 08-28-2017, 03:11 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
What no pictures? That's great! I've adopted two senior dogs, and both were wonderful additions to our family. BTW I had a pug years ago, and she made it to 16 years of age.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:58 PM

25,968 posts, read 22,149,005 times
We got one for our 65 lb chow/shepherd, the yellow lab walked behind the stroller. Both are 12+ and a LOT of traffic passed us. We made a LOT of people (and wave).

Getting out of the house and into the outdoors is a blessing for any living thing!

Senior dogs are the best as are those people who adopt them!

Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times
That is so sweet. What a great way for her to spend her last years!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2017, 05:02 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,003,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We recently adopted a 14-year old pug mix . . I ended up getting a dog stroller. Boy, oh, boy talk about a game changer. . . .
Good ON YA!

We used to have a hound mix who loved to run and sniff. At about 7 or 8 she blew out a cruciate ligament in her hind leg. But she STILL loved to run - only she couldn't any more. I take my dogs out with me on a bicycle so they can actually run. She looked so sad when we would leave without her. I got a bicycle trailer, and let her come for as far as she would go - and then she got in the trailer for the rest of the route.

She LOVED it! I also got lots of comments, mostly friendly! Actually, she used the initial short distances to work herself up to the full route again. Yes, with one completely blown knee, she was still running with the young dog. But when she got tired, she could quit, and ride. She lived to 14 years of age, and was running the whole way even into the last year. She did slow down some before she passed, but she gave it all she had.

A pug mix isn't going to be much good for running anyway, but that doesn't mean they can't still enjoy life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs