Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 04:40 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times

Advertisements

Get a roast. PUt it in the oven at a low heat, like 250 degrees for several hours. The end result is very dry meat - from there you can cut it up into little tiny pieces for training treats. Google for the specific instructions - I can't remember them all.

But it's the perfect treat - meat, nothing added. And pretty cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 05:12 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,004,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Dogs shouldn't have grapes or raisins.

Whole food = unprocessed "people food" like bits of chicken, carrots, eggs, sardines (water not oil), liver (chicken or beef), beef will be healthier for your dogs than a processed biscuit.

BTW, there is no such thing as "people food" and "dog food". There isn't a special animal that comprises "dog food"; it is all the same = food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I thought it helped get the point of my question across.

Thank you for the heads up on the grapes.

Pretty ironic that the people food (grapes) isn't really dog food, despite the fact that is indeed, all food.
Twelvepaw - I love the way you put it! Mikala, I get what you meant, and I think twelve did, also.

A hundred years ago there was no such thing as "dog food". Dogs ate leftovers and scraps, and a rabbit if they could catch it. Most dogs in the world today still live like that - scrounging from the garbage dump, or waiting out back of the butcher's shop (or the bakery, or the pizza shop!). Which has a lot to do with why I don't worry about grain-free, although I do make sure grains are not a primary source of calories.

About the only things to worry about are grapes, onions and garlic, and salt. Dogs need salt, just like people, but they don't sweat as much so they don't need as much. Onions and garlic can be toxic (CAN be, not ARE, just like grapes), but that also only occurs for very large amounts - a lot more than you put in your spaghetti sauce, for instance!

Oh, and bad manners . Sometimes dogs getting people food will get it when their people feed them at the table or the like - and get bad manners started!

BTW - good question! There is a lot of misinformation about dog food out there.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:15 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Quote:
What are the thoughts on giving dogs people food?........
That's all my dogs eat is people food, so I guess I must think it is OK.

I buy food intended for human consumption: meat 60-90 pounds at a time: beef, chicken, pork, turkey, fish.

They eat home raised rabbit, chicken, duck, the occassioanl goose, elk, fresh caught wild fish, all safe for humans to eat.

They get brown rice, millet, oats, quinoa, yams, pumpkin, all sold with the intention that it will be fed to humans.

They eat carrots, broccoli, squash, greens, green beans, apples, blueberries, pears, and the occassional banana.

They hang out when I am making salads so they can have the trimmings from the lettuce, cauliflower, raw broccoli, carrot ends and peels.

They get rewards of breakfast cereal or crackers made for people, as well as small cubes of meat or cheese.

I don't buy any kibble or dog treats that are made and marketed for dogs.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:18 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
Quote:
What are the thoughts on giving dogs people food? My puppy has been raised within the parameters of our elder dog, and he has a VERY sensitive stomach so all he gets is a dog biscuit once a day.

The puppy (10 mos) doesn't seem to have a sensitive stomach so I don't mind giving him a treat as long as he doesn't beg. He likes fruit (grapes, nectarines, etc.). I do it about once a week so it is not a lot, and I do not want to encourage begging.

Thoughts?
There is no such thing as 'people food'. There is food that is generally good for dogs or not. Dog food is made of a lot of 'people food'. Then there is the individual dog. What is good or not good for that dog.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
With the grain free they tend to add more sweet potatoes, fruits and veggies. Personally that seems better than a huge percentage of rice/wheat or corn.

After he achieves full growth I would be more comfortable reducing kibble and adding food that we eat (nothing processed).

IIRC you are vegetarian or vegan? We are weekday vegetarians, and weekend carnivores.
My dog cannot digest potatoes. I don't see how they are more healthy for a dog than rice. Not saying this to argue with you, just discussing.

The potato fad has irritated me even before this dog couldn't digest them. I think it's just money. Potatoes are 'empty carbs' like rice. They are also cheap. I think it's just marketing to say 'grain-free' and charge more, though I do avoid wheat, corn, and soy, which nowadays is very easy. That was step one for the food companies to catch onto things we don't like.

Canidae changed it's formula to include potatoes so now I am on the hunt for a new food. A-holes. LOL! And see, that has to be taking away from the meat content. Since it still has grains. So it would make me mad on that count even if my dog could eat it.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
What are the thoughts on giving dogs people food? My puppy has been raised within the parameters of our elder dog, and he has a VERY sensitive stomach so all he gets is a dog biscuit once a day.

The puppy (10 mos) doesn't seem to have a sensitive stomach so I don't mind giving him a treat as long as he doesn't beg. He likes fruit (grapes, nectarines, etc.). I do it about once a week so it is not a lot, and I do not want to encourage begging.

Thoughts?
To discourage begging, never give food unless in the dog's bowl, or handed as part of training. Never from the table. Never a crumb from the table so they learn it will never happen.

My dog that I trained from a puppy, I taught her to be a certain distance from the table when there is food, and as a reward, any left-over that is ok for her to eat went into her bowl. So, she quickly learned that her turn is coming!

Old 09-02-2017, 06:07 PM

4,871 posts, read 3,296,158 times
Quote:
No worries. I definitely will not feed him a grape again (he has had two in his life).
My small dogs love banana. Lab won't touch one, but the spaniels look at me like I don't love them anymore if they don't get a bite of banana when I come home from work.

We also keep leftover carrots and green beans for them. Other than that, no people food, and no commercial treats.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
My small dogs love banana. Lab won't touch one, but the spaniels look at me like I don't love them anymore if they don't get a bite of banana when I come home from work.

We also keep leftover carrots and green beans for them. Other than that, no people food, and no commercial treats.
What is people food? What is in your dog's food?

Old 09-02-2017, 07:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Someone mentioned frozen grapes (which I think we have covered is a no no these days) but my dogs favorite summer treat is cubes of frozen canned pumpkin, actually pumpkin and not the spiced pie filling. We freeze it in the small ice cub trays, and give them one or two a day when they are outside. They love it.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:52 PM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
What is people food? What is in your dog's food?
Well I don't eat chicken meal and stuff.

You guys really have a thing about this.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs