Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:36 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well I don't eat chicken meal and stuff.

Of, I will give you the answer to my question. What is in dog food? 'People food'. And chemicals. There is nothing good to happen to say chicken, when processed into dog food, that makes it better for dogs that chicken you cook (or don't) yourself.

Quote:
You guys really have a thing about this.
Because it's important. There is no such thing as 'people food'. There is food that is good for a dog or cat or isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,533,345 times
Whole grains are great stuff! Lots of protein and other good things. Nothing wrong with peas and potatoes, but there's also nothing inherently wrong with whole grains like corn, wheat, and rice. At all.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Whole grains are great stuff! Lots of protein and other good things. Nothing wrong with peas and potatoes, but there's also nothing inherently wrong with whole grains like corn, wheat, and rice. At all.
Nope. I do not like a corn-based food because I want the protein to come from meat, but nothing wrong with it at all for a dog that isn't allergic.

My dog was allergic to wheat right at that time is when more options for food lacking 'wheat, corn, and soy' were out. (But before the 'grain-free' fad). So corn went with the wheat but I didn't need to purposefully avoid it.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:35 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Of, I will give you the answer to my question. What is in dog food? 'People food'. And chemicals. There is nothing good to happen to say chicken, when processed into dog food, that makes it better for dogs that chicken you cook (or don't) yourself.

Because it's important. There is no such thing as 'people food'. There is food that is good for a dog or cat or isn't.

When they turn the protein into "meal" it is more nutrient packed then the plain meat.

I STILL would not eat it as food. There are differences between animal food and people food.

So this has turned into a debate on semantics, which is not helpful at all.

Thanks to those who answered sans attitude.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-02-2017, 09:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,533,345 times
Quote:
Nope. I do not like a corn-based food because I want the protein to come from meat, but nothing wrong with it at all for a dog that isn't allergic.

My dog was allergic to wheat right at that time is when more options for food lacking 'wheat, corn, and soy' were out. (But before the 'grain-free' fad). So corn went with the wheat but I didn't need to purposefully avoid it.
Yeah, it seems like we went straight from grain-based food, to super high protein, no grain food. Makes me wonder about the diabetes you hear about in dogs these days. I am thinking that too much protein is not a good thing for dogs either.

I recently researched what a proper balance would be for home-made food for my dog and found this really great brochure on the subject, based on research by the National Academies in Washington DC:

http://dels.nas.edu/resources/static..._final_fix.pdf

Old 09-02-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
When they turn the protein into "meal" it is more nutrient packed then the plain meat.

I STILL would not eat it as food. There are differences between animal food and people food.

So this has turned into a debate on semantics, which is not helpful at all.

Thanks to those who answered sans attitude.
I don't have an attitude, I am being educational, speaking directly to the question you asked.

Also, I didn't say there is no such thing as dog food. You are turning it backwards.

I said there is no such thing as people food. That's important to know. Commercial dog food doesn't have any qualities that make chicken or eggs or wheat or potatoes (all people food) any better for dogs except it being balanced nutritionally.

In reality a whole possum or rabbit is 'dog food'. Whole, fresh, and raw. That's dog food. Also since they are scavengers, basically anything non-toxic is part of a dogs diet.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:42 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
I don't have an attitude, I am being educational, speaking directly to the question you asked.

Also, I didn't say there is no such thing as dog food. You are turning it backwards.

I said there is no such thing as people food. That's important to know. Commercial dog food doesn't have any qualities that make chicken or eggs or wheat or potatoes (all people food) any better for dogs except it being balanced nutritionally.

In reality a whole possum or rabbit is 'dog food'. Whole, fresh, and raw. That's dog food. Also since they are scavengers, basically anything non-toxic is part of a dogs diet.

Okay, so people food is the same as dog food, except when it's poison, and dog food is the same as people food except we wouldn't eat it.

I'm done here.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-02-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Okay, so people food is the same as dog food, except when it's poison, and dog food is the same as people food except we wouldn't eat it.

I'm done here.
? No, that isn't what I said. I said there is no such thing as people food. As in, food that is only meant for human consumption. I didn't say there is no such thing as dog food. IDK why you keep trying to twist my words.

Many people exclusively feed freshly made food from the 'people food' aisles.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:

Pretty ironic that the people food (grapes) isn't really dog food, despite the fact that is indeed, all food.
Grapes are not 'people food'. Lots of creatures eat them. All that stuff that grows on trees and from the ground and from animals is for all kinds of animals to eat, it wasn't just created for humans.

The point is food is food. Some is good for us, some is not. Some is good for dogs, some is not. And for cats, and rats, and Bears! (although I think they can eat whatever they want )

Old 09-02-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Get a roast. PUt it in the oven at a low heat, like 250 degrees for several hours. The end result is very dry meat - from there you can cut it up into little tiny pieces for training treats. Google for the specific instructions - I can't remember them all.

But it's the perfect treat - meat, nothing added. And pretty cheap.
Fab idea. I have bought really expensive dog treats that were just dehydrated meat. Which is good, but very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs