Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 138,000 times

Advertisements

Tried PetArmor from Walmart and it didn't work. We've used Frontline Plus for years with excellent results. Both products have the same active ingredients in the same amounts, so why isn't the PetArmor working? We keep our home and two little Jack Russells clean, so we're not battling any unusual flea problems. Poor things have fleas for the first time ever, I'll be bathing them today and running out for Frontline! Has anyone else had this happen with PetArmor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Thank you, Frontline marketing department. Very informative, these three anti-Pet Armor posts on your brand new account in the past 20 minutes.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
nope, it IS frontline (just different inactive ingredients so unless frontline has stopped working pet armor should work fine too...
if its not sounds like your areas fleas have become resistant and youll need to try a completly new active ingredient.

and agree font...just hopeing anyone seeing these posts dont get the wrong ideas.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,470 times
I thought Fipronil was Fipronil regardless of whose (best priced) packaging it comes in. How can it not work if the active chemical is the same?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 AM

6 posts, read 138,000 times
Yes, I posted three times - have never been on a site like this before and wasn't sure the best way to get feedback on PetArmor.
Have since checked the Walmart product rating site and saw that lots of people didn't have any luck with it.
And yes, I know it has the same ingredients, that's why I'm mystified as to why it didn't work.
And gee, y'all didn't have to get nasty, just have an honest question.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:23 AM

I went and looked at Walmart's site and I see the ratings for my size dogs was fairly decent. I'll be trying it with my $3 coupon as soon as I need it.

I am also a skeptic and inclined to think that at some point, some group of people will be out there to discredit all the other Fipronil providers because Frontline is in litigation and until they have totally sucked the market back into their pocket, will be looking for anything to help themselves.

Not saying you Janice are a ringer for Frontline but I understand why posters would be wary.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:24 AM

*Frontline = Merck, Merial, whomever it is.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice B View Post
Have since checked the Walmart product rating site and saw that lots of people didn't have any luck with it.
And yes, I know it has the same ingredients, that's why I'm mystified as to why it didn't work.
The ACTIVE ingredients are the same, but the INERT is what wicks the product over the animals body and it isn; the same. According to Cipla, the wicking can take from 24 hours to 10 days. Frontline plus is about 24 - 72 hours. So if switching from one product to another, you may have to give it a full week for the action to occur and you see any results.

Anotherthing to check is the ingredients are listed by % of the volume, so unless you compare the two products total volume, the % can be the same on the package but the actual amount of the active ingredienst could be lower. How many oz is 10% of 12 oz and how many oz is 10% of 11 oz? Sneaky huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice B View Post
And gee, y'all didn't have to get nasty, just have an honest question.
You'll get use to it in time.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:09 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
i dont knwo about the inerts for "wicking" but volume and percentage is the same on both products for the sizes.

but many vets are switching away form frontline because this season has been SOOOO bad for fleas and ticks, the bugs are becomming immune to the "normally used" products so vets are seriously swithcing thigns around in terms of reccomendaitons this year...
to the point even my vet mentioned, people are seeing that products worked untill about spring then suddenly seemed ot no longer work...same batch, same dosage...but suddenly around mid.late spring, it just seemed to "stop working"

i use advantix now because the frontline just wasnt doing its job anymore, but this year ive seen no fleas but more ticks on the dogs even on the advantix...im supposed ot be moving in aug before thier next dose is due so im not sure if ill give advantix a try for TN or if ill try and find a new active ingredient completly...

but this year has been very bad for fleas and ticks and reistance.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:24 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
Hey Foxy, I'm trying Advantage Multi this month. Comfortis has made two of the chis very sick tonight. Wish I'd read more on it before giving it to them. That's what I get for blindly following what the vet says. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes. Advantix didn't work for us when we tried it in the rescue, neither did Revolution. Of course we had 30 - 40 dogs in the house at the time so I'm guessing finding anything that will work with that many dogs is tough. Down to a dozen dogs now, so Advantage Multi is next on the list of meds to try.

And yes, fleas have been HORRID here this year. And for us it's all the sudden. Bad enough that I woke up with bites on ME today! They've not been this bad in about five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs