Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,732 times

Advertisements

That is a wonderful point I will hold to my heart - - it gives me time to say goodbye/adapt as it isn't a sudden death. You are right, that is FAR better. It is still awful, but it could be even worse...

I feel guilty that I can't DO anything (since it has effected more than just her nose).

For anyone who's dog has gone blind suddenly, be ready to see THEY adapt just fine (Mick even uses her poor nose and has great mapping/tracking abilities without her eyes). I really wish she just was a SARDS dog and not a nose cancer dog - - she could survive and rally above SARDS (not that cancer THAT advanced).

Today I noticed she now blinks rapidly in the sunshine - - is that just sensitivity or could it be painful? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,382 times
Default New cancer patient :(

I have read about the entire thread here... all 179 pages. We are in Michigan. I have a 9.5 yr old husky mix Tucker. I would say for maybe a little under a year he has had reverse sneezing... more then he ever had. He never sneezed blood and with the advice of many many dvm's we ignored the reverse sneezing. Over the last few weeks we noticed Tucker was antsy and panting more. Especially at night. I decided one night approx 10 days ago to check his nostrils. Low and behold the left nostril had no air coming out. I knew I was dealing with something bad, had my first breakdown.
I work as a LVT at a speciality hospital so Tucker earned himself a trip to work. The Dr we saw examined him and immediately ordered his CT scan. I hate being part of my own dogs procedures so I helped knock him down and paced up and down the hallway while the scans were being done.
Our radiologist read them off. A "mass" 2 x 2 x 2.5 cm, 6 cm into his left nostril. NO FRICKIN WAY!
Dr. did a rhinoscopy and attempted to take a sample. The location absolutely sucks, it basically it sitting somewhere near his rear molars. She attempted her sample and our results were... inflammation. Regardless of this biopsy we are all leaning towards cancer just caught very early and hard to biopsy.
Since we have a holiday this week I knew I didn't want to dig in his nose again. He had a horrible night 24 hours post biopsy. Air licking, panting, pacing and then finally drainage starting coming out about 6 hours into the torture of that night. All assuming from the biopsy since he has had no drainage since that weekend.
We discussed attempting another biopsy in the clinic. Really couldn't guarantee a good sample.. no one can. The Dr. I have been working with .. love her! She did some research and found the University of Wisconsin. They are doing a tomotherapy radiation study for nasal tumors, also studying the affects on eyes.
I spoke with the Dr. Friday there. They can do another biopsy since he needs to be put out for his radiation planning anyways. The cost will be much different then performing it at my work again but I have my fingers crossed they have newer tools to get a sample from that bugger.
If we get a diagnostic sample and it does come back as cancer he will be ready for treatment and also have a fresh set of scans to look at. Their treatment is 3 days of radiation only. Dr said in stage 1, which he falls into the survival time can be 16-19 months. Reading this thread I can't seem to believe that.
Currently. He is doing so well. Some increased panting at times, but when he stays more relaxed he is sleeping comfortably and seems overall very happy. Over the last week we have made sure to include all his fun things he loves!

He has not had one nosebleed, reverse sneezing for the most part rarely happens. He has had some in the middle of the night gagging episodes on and off before I figured out what was wrong with him. He has had high ionized calcium for the past 6 months, that actually resolved when we checked his blood before his biopsy.
Since his biopsy we have him on previcox. He has always been on fish oil, probiotics, best dry food we could find. Liver chews, coconut oil and glucosamine.

Getting him to Wisconsin for Treatment will definitely be a commitment on my part, and I sure hope work lets it happen too. I am afraid they won't be able to get a diagnostic sample either... but fingers crossed if they found it it wasn't cancer the time and money would be worth it either way. After reading all these stories will I really get 16-19 months? I want to make sure doing treatment will be worth our effort. His symptoms are so mild his quality of life currently is 90% great! I would love to have him around happy and symptom free for at least 16 months. I am afraid that after reading all this everything will come back after 9 months, and at that point we may have up to 6 months more with him.. spending it watching for that day to come. 3 days ago I was right in the middle of not treating and treating, then leaning towards treating. I just want to make sure I am doing the best thing for him. I will not let him suffer no way! My 12.5 yr old dog already has his plans mapped out, if he ever gets cancer we will provide best quality of life until the end.
Since Tucker is not even 10 and is happy currently I would like to prolong that as much as possible, but again would that be worth it to him?

Old 12-19-2016, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,137 times
Hello Everyone,
I have a 4 year old GSD. He really is beautiful and such a good boy, I love him so much, he and my Yorkie are my babies as I have no children of my own yet. We are currently awaiting Biopsy results as he had an MRI and it showed fluid on the brain and a mass in his sinus and the back of his throat. The only symptom he was showing was lethargy and episodes where he wouldn't be able to walk or use his hind legs. He's currently on anti-seizure meds and predinsone. We go on Friday (12/23) for the biopsy results and I am just beside myself, I'm so scared of losing him and I know we won't be able to afford chemo/radiation nor do I want to put my baby through all of that. I'm just not sure what to do or what the odds are that it may not be cancer... We just lost my father -in- law to cancer in October for Christmas this year is already pretty blue and now our baby... I just don't know what to do, all I do is cry... anyone else have a biopsy the turned out not to be cancer ? Any suggestions ?

Old 02-01-2017, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,168 times
Hi - Just read all 179 pages of this thread and it's been kinda rough, I won't lie. My beloved Yellow Lab Bailey was diagnosed with a Nasal Tumor in October. He'd started having nose bleeds a few weeks earlier, and we had a workup done by his normal vet, including X-Rays. They detected a mass in his nose, but their equipment wasn't great, so we were referred to another animal hospital in the area. One CT scan later and they'd identified a tumor in his left nostril. My wife and I were devastated - his 9th birthday will on on Feb 28th and we feel like we've been robbed of his twilight years.

We were presented with definitive and palliative treatment options, with survival times estimated from 10 months to 18 months. We ultimately decided not to pursue radiation treatment, as Bailey suffered from major anxiety at the vets and reacted poorly to sedatives - wasn't uncommon for him to be miserable for 24 hours after coming home and he'd cry because he felt so crappy. This was totally out of character for him, as he is not skittish and is normally very stoic. So the thought of having to travel a few hours each day for treatment, put him through sedation daily and then have to deal with potential radiation side effects wasn't something we wanted to put him through. That point was hammered home when he bled like a stuck pig at the vets office just before his CT consult, such was his anxiety .

I instead did some research and decided to consult with a holistic vet in the area. They've been terrific, and so in addition to the Peroxicam already prescribed, he was put on a regimen of Jing Tangs' Mansion of the mind (A version of Stasis Breaker for cancers of the head), Wi Qui Booster and Yunnan Bai Yao to control the bleeding. He was already eating grain free kibble and we did try and make a switch to grain free canned food, but he wasn't a fan. So we switched back to a mix of grain free kibble and home prepared chicken stock, chicken and vegetables. He still wolfs that down, so I think we have that receipe nailed . We also tried the Budwig diet combo of cottage cheese and flax oil, but he wasn't a fan. So we just put the flax seed oil directly in his food now, along with Tumeric. We were giving him ground flax seed as well, but he would get agitated at the sound of the grinder, which would cause him to bleed. So we had to cut that out, as he'd hear the grinder from any part of the house and get upset .

Anyway, as seems to be the theme with this thread, things have gone downhill the last few months and I think we're near the end of the road for him. We had high hopes for his herbal regimen, but it hasn't panned out as we'd hoped unfortunately. We've had bleeding episodes since the original diagnosis and although the Yunna Bai Yao helps on a day to day basis, it can't prevent a major bleeding incident if one comes due. We've had several of those, several of which have required sedation using Acepromazine, which really sucks. We had a terrible one happen early am Christmas morning and it totally killed the holiday for me. Things really haven't improved since then and he bleeds now anytime he gets vaguely excited.

His breathing quality has also declined significantly and he often wakes gasping for air at night. We've gotten used to his jackhammer snoring and I have come to welcome it as at least I know he's getting some manner of rest during those times. That has impacted him during the day and it's been heartbreaking to watch his playful nature disappear during the last few weeks as he succumbs to the effects of the cancer. I've never wanted him to steal my socks or dish towels and beg to be chased more than right now....

So overall, I think his quality of life has declined to the point now where we're getting close to letting him go. His new vet has suggested we try switching him to Prednisone and observing him for a week or so to see if his conditions improve. So as apprehensive as I am about that drug, we'll probably try that before making our final call. I believe he's now feeling pain based on his demeanor and the Peroxicam (Which made him act like a puppy originally) now doesn't seem to be getting the job done. My wife and I always swore we'd do what's right for him and not to let him suffer. That means we will need to make a VERY hard choice soon, but I swore to him I wouldn't be selfish and make him stick around to keep us happy.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread exists so we can share our pain. I'm not an emotional person by nature, but the last few months have been very tough for me and the family. My fingers are crossed that the prednisone helps short term, but we'll likely see him on to a better place in the near future if not.

God bless.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileys Pop View Post
Hi - Just read all 179 pages of this thread and it's been kinda rough, I won't lie. My beloved Yellow Lab Bailey was diagnosed with a Nasal Tumor in October. He'd started having nose bleeds a few weeks earlier, and we had a workup done by his normal vet, including X-Rays. They detected a mass in his nose, but their equipment wasn't great, so we were referred to another animal hospital in the area. One CT scan later and they'd identified a tumor in his left nostril. My wife and I were devastated - his 9th birthday will on on Feb 28th and we feel like we've been robbed of his twilight years.

We were presented with definitive and palliative treatment options, with survival times estimated from 10 months to 18 months. We ultimately decided not to pursue radiation treatment, as Bailey suffered from major anxiety at the vets and reacted poorly to sedatives - wasn't uncommon for him to be miserable for 24 hours after coming home and he'd cry because he felt so crappy. This was totally out of character for him, as he is not skittish and is normally very stoic. So the thought of having to travel a few hours each day for treatment, put him through sedation daily and then have to deal with potential radiation side effects wasn't something we wanted to put him through. That point was hammered home when he bled like a stuck pig at the vets office just before his CT consult, such was his anxiety .

I instead did some research and decided to consult with a holistic vet in the area. They've been terrific, and so in addition to the Peroxicam already prescribed, he was put on a regimen of Jing Tangs' Mansion of the mind (A version of Stasis Breaker for cancers of the head), Wi Qui Booster and Yunnan Bai Yao to control the bleeding. He was already eating grain free kibble and we did try and make a switch to grain free canned food, but he wasn't a fan. So we switched back to a mix of grain free kibble and home prepared chicken stock, chicken and vegetables. He still wolfs that down, so I think we have that receipe nailed . We also tried the Budwig diet combo of cottage cheese and flax oil, but he wasn't a fan. So we just put the flax seed oil directly in his food now, along with Tumeric. We were giving him ground flax seed as well, but he would get agitated at the sound of the grinder, which would cause him to bleed. So we had to cut that out, as he'd hear the grinder from any part of the house and get upset .

Anyway, as seems to be the theme with this thread, things have gone downhill the last few months and I think we're near the end of the road for him. We had high hopes for his herbal regimen, but it hasn't panned out as we'd hoped unfortunately. We've had bleeding episodes since the original diagnosis and although the Yunna Bai Yao helps on a day to day basis, it can't prevent a major bleeding incident if one comes due. We've had several of those, several of which have required sedation using Acepromazine, which really sucks. We had a terrible one happen early am Christmas morning and it totally killed the holiday for me. Things really haven't improved since then and he bleeds now anytime he gets vaguely excited.

His breathing quality has also declined significantly and he often wakes gasping for air at night. We've gotten used to his jackhammer snoring and I have come to welcome it as at least I know he's getting some manner of rest during those times. That has impacted him during the day and it's been heartbreaking to watch his playful nature disappear during the last few weeks as he succumbs to the effects of the cancer. I've never wanted him to steal my socks or dish towels and beg to be chased more than right now....

So overall, I think his quality of life has declined to the point now where we're getting close to letting him go. His new vet has suggested we try switching him to Prednisone and observing him for a week or so to see if his conditions improve. So as apprehensive as I am about that drug, we'll probably try that before making our final call. I believe he's now feeling pain based on his demeanor and the Peroxicam (Which made him act like a puppy originally) now doesn't seem to be getting the job done. My wife and I always swore we'd do what's right for him and not to let him suffer. That means we will need to make a VERY hard choice soon, but I swore to him I wouldn't be selfish and make him stick around to keep us happy.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread exists so we can share our pain. I'm not an emotional person by nature, but the last few months have been very tough for me and the family. My fingers are crossed that the prednisone helps short term, but we'll likely see him on to a better place in the near future if not.

God bless.
Hi--The same thing happened to my dog and I am so sorry about your dog. I can't bear to read the previous posts but I will tell you that, with my dog, we wanted to put him down before we really went ahead and did it. He was a beauty and a sweetie. He got nasal cancer because a landlord sprayed some pesticide around the baseboards of our apartment.

He started having the bleeding and then he began falling as the tumor grew and affected his brain. Then he couldn't eat and couldn't control his bowels. We wanted to put the little boy out of his misery but he was a rescue dog and when we told his previous owner (who loved him and didn't want to get rid of him), she took him back to his old vet who gave him prednisone and something else. I wouldn't have done it.

Yes, he did start to eat again. We had to mash up the pills and somehow get them into his mouth. It was very heartbreaking. He did last a few more months but they were not quality months. They were sad months because we knew we were losing him. We only did it to please his previous owner.

He could no longer play, couldn't go for walks--he was dying and we were prolonging the dying. Finally he got so bad that we had to take him in and his life ended. I would say--get it over with for the sake of the dog and also for your own sake.

We felt totally empty. We went to a park and just sat there with no dog.

For us, the very next day, a nearly identical rescue dog came into our lives. We love him just as much but in different ways. He's not a replacement for M. but he is his own dog. Maybe he even came from the same breeder because he has the same little flaw--a few curly hairs to the back of his right ear.

I would like to think that herbal treatments can work and they probably can in some cases or for a short time. For your dear dog, it sounds like the time has come for you to do the right thing for him. It is a loving thing. I made sure my dog was happy when they took him away--I made them stop long enough for me to say to him, "You are such a good boy." I hope that made his last memories a little bit happy. Please help your dog before he suffers too much. We tend to keep them alive for ourselves but it's not what they want or what would happen in nature.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hi--The same thing happened to my dog and I am so sorry about your dog. I can't bear to read the previous posts but I will tell you that, with my dog, we wanted to put him down before we really went ahead and did it. He was a beauty and a sweetie. He got nasal cancer because a landlord sprayed some pesticide around the baseboards of our apartment.

He started having the bleeding and then he began falling as the tumor grew and affected his brain. Then he couldn't eat and couldn't control his bowels. We wanted to put the little boy out of his misery but he was a rescue dog and when we told his previous owner (who loved him and didn't want to get rid of him), she took him back to his old vet who gave him prednisone and something else. I wouldn't have done it.

Yes, he did start to eat again. We had to mash up the pills and somehow get them into his mouth. It was very heartbreaking. He did last a few more months but they were not quality months. They were sad months because we knew we were losing him. We only did it to please his previous owner.

He could no longer play, couldn't go for walks--he was dying and we were prolonging the dying. Finally he got so bad that we had to take him in and his life ended. I would say--get it over with for the sake of the dog and also for your own sake.

We felt totally empty. We went to a park and just sat there with no dog.

For us, the very next day, a nearly identical rescue dog came into our lives. We love him just as much but in different ways. He's not a replacement for M. but he is his own dog. Maybe he even came from the same breeder because he has the same little flaw--a few curly hairs to the back of his right ear.

I would like to think that herbal treatments can work and they probably can in some cases or for a short time. For your dear dog, it sounds like the time has come for you to do the right thing for him. It is a loving thing. I made sure my dog was happy when they took him away--I made them stop long enough for me to say to him, "You are such a good boy." I hope that made his last memories a little bit happy. Please help your dog before he suffers too much. We tend to keep them alive for ourselves but it's not what they want or what would happen in nature.
Thanks for the kind words and candid response. I made a point to read through this whole thread to gain some perspective from folks experiences and yours is as valid and relevant as any. That was a hard situation you were thrust into and I feel bad that it ended up as it did. He's in a better place now.

As for Bailey, we're watching him closely now and I think he'll tell us what he wants over the course of the next few days. My wife and I are making plans now so emotion hopefully won't get the better part of us when we have to make that call.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:22 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
The other night I was watching some videos on you tube and stumbled on one that mentioned Ketodogs. I myself try to eat a ketogenic diet as when I am in ketosis,my body feels so much better. I will be 60 this year but when I am very compliant with the diet I feel like I am 20 or 30. Start to add carbs back in and I start feeling my age .

I told you that because it makes me very familiar with a ketogenie diet and the benefits so when I heard the words Ketodogs I had to research it.It turns out it is a a clinic in Austin Texas that is studying g the benefits of a ketogenic diet on dogs with cancer.They got 15 dogs with cancer from shelters and some of them were very advanced. They put them on ketogenic diets and calorie restriction . Some dogs did get surgery, and other standard cancer treatments and while all the dogs should be dead by now only 3 have died the other 12 are doing well and a few that pre diet litup the pet scans with their cancers now show no cancer via pet scan.They had various cancers not sure if any were nasal cancer.If I was still dealing with Dash and his cancer I would be research this and putting him on a ketogenic diet .

The results they have seen is so impressive that now research is moving to ketogenic diets for humans with cancer.Never under estimate diet in the treatments of diseases.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:09 PM

Well, the hard decision was kind of made for us today as Bailey had a bleeding episode so far beyond what we'd seen before after violently sneezing and rupturing/tearing a blood vessel in his nose. He lost so much blood in a few minutes that we feared he would bleed to death and so we had his vet come our to our home immediately and euthanize him where he lay. He passed away peacefully.

It's not the way we wanted things to go down, but in a way we're relieved that that decision was essentially forced on us and we didn't have to make it ourselves. He'd suffered enough and we had to let him go.

RIP Bobo - you'll be sorely missed. You leave us with broken hearts but also a lifetime of fond memories.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,909 times
Default Any kitties with nasal adenocarcinoma?

After several months of sneezing fits and one sided nasal discharge(and being treated with antibiotics thinking it was bacterial infection) ou 14 1/2 year old cat Isabella was diagnosed with nasal cancer. She just had her final palliative radiation treatment Friday(3-8 month prognosis) and is doing quite well. She has notable reduction in discharge and sneezing,although she needs an appetite stimulant every few days or she won't eat much. She is on Prednisole and we are going to begin acupuncture and discuss any herbs that may help with a local vet soon. It seems like this type of cancer is more common in dogs and some of the drugs(such as NSAIDS) are not appropriate for kitties. If any kitty parents have any advice I'd love to hear it! And I am so sorry for all who have lost their doggies to this cancer. Thanks,Karen

Old 05-06-2017, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,860 times
My beloved 10 yr old bichon mix was just diagnosed with nasal cancer  Tumor is inoperable as it is situated at the back of throat (soft palate) and nasal pasage. Removing the tumor would leave a gaping hole with not enough tissue around to close. Symptoms started back in December.
At the time, nasaly sound would occur after walks, etc. That was it. Since March, gagging, reverse coughing and snorting got progressively worse. Many visits to vet with finally agreeing that CT scan needed to be done to confirm that it is indeed cancer. Poor thing has trouble sleeping as putting his head down puts pressure on palate causing him to choke. Heartbreaking to see him struggling for each breath. Regardless of this he still seems to enjoy his walks, mealtime, treats and his teddy bear. Currently, he is on prednisone which seems to be helping. Probable treatment will be palliative radiotherapy. Decision will be made this week once all options have been looked at. Sadly, cost is also a factor. Thousands of dollars to offer a few additional months?? Either way, in the end and when decision has to be made, it will be heartwrenching.

Twice now, after witnessing his trouble with sleeping and listening to him snorting and gagging for most of the night, I had decided to end his misery only to call back the vet to cancel procedure. I am nooready and I sincerely do not think he isn't either.

I want to thank all the dog owners and 'specialists' who have contributed to this blog. Know that you have all helped me come to terms with this awful disease.

I am touched to know that I am not alone is this sad journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs