Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 08:13 PM

55 posts, read 180,110 times

Advertisements

No sleep tonight..Last night I was up with Hoag, this nite I will be up without Hoag....In truth there is relief knowing I will not have to rush out seeking emergency care, or stepping in some blood, or having to section him off and him not really knowing why, or smelling that blood smell, or wondering if he is in pain, or forgetting his meds, or fearing if I go out I won't be around for him,or really worring what happens if bills start really adding up,or fearing if he dies at night what will I do with the body and move a 108 pound body,or if there is something else I could be doing, or tensions in the house getting higher,..or once the bleeding stops of it begining again, or the licking sound that now told me he's bleeding again...ok, enough venting for now. I hope you people don't get tired of this...
Rod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:57 AM

137 posts, read 412,631 times
I lit a candle for Hogan. you can find it here, it is the one that starts with ho

Candles - Light A Candle

or if this one works click on the ho below, not sure which link works

ho

Old 04-05-2009, 07:26 PM

Oscarmom,

I really don't have the right words to express the way I feel about your act of kindness, So I will just say thank you..

I went out today hoping to at least get my thoughts going in another direction...As we all know that really doesn't work.

But maybe I can pass on some info the vet gave my son who actually went in with Hogan. Hogan died with his head on my son's lap..It should have been me, but I couldn't do it...

Ok, the vet thought that Hogan had a fungus infection that got to the point it was not treatable. Just didn't think with his lack of symptoms that it was a tumor. The horrible lesson learned, was to take nose bleeds real serious!..I have never lost a dog this way before, and most likely will never again. I was sure damn sure the blood was coming from the nick Hogan had in the nostril that was bleeding...I will be picking up Hogan's ashes this coming weak...

Have a good evening folks...I hope Dash and Emmitt are doing ok...

Rod

Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 PM

PS. The deafening silence in my home now is awful.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 PM

104 posts, read 471,173 times
rod...

none of us can feel your pain right now although, sadly, we will have to in months or years to come. as others have said, do something for yourself if you can and know that, as with your other pets, only time will make it better. you have all of our best wishes.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 PM

104 posts, read 471,173 times
Default for woofers et al, about prednisone

tillie has some swelling under her left eye again. last time, the swelling went away on its own but who knows? it could be the cancer growing and trying to find a path onward and upward. a friend has brought up the idea of starting her on prednisone to try to curb the swelling at this time. anyone have experience with this?

woofers, i know that your friend's dog was on pred for, what, 18 months? and i know the side effects can get gnarly but i am thinking of checking this out with the oncologist if the swelling continues.

thanks

Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmomma View Post
tillie has some swelling under her left eye again. last time, the swelling went away on its own but who knows? it could be the cancer growing and trying to find a path onward and upward. a friend has brought up the idea of starting her on prednisone to try to curb the swelling at this time. anyone have experience with this?

woofers, i know that your friend's dog was on pred for, what, 18 months? and i know the side effects can get gnarly but i am thinking of checking this out with the oncologist if the swelling continues.

thanks
Side effects were annoying, not gnarly. Makes the dog drink and urinate more, so wetting in the house becomes an issue. Obsession with food, panting, and weight gain. Maybe it's a good temporary solution to buy time, but I would not want to go through 18 months of it again. It was too hard on the humans.

W.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:29 AM

Default Prednisone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmomma View Post

thanks
Tallmomma

I only had poor Hogan on prednisone for 2 days...Yes he started drinking more and peeing more. There is also a nasal spray that humans use I was given to use on Hogan. As I am retired I am home all day. I would stay up extra late with him, 1-2 am, and let him out to do his business. Of course he was getting more weak by the hour, as I realize now he was dying..Maybe the spray will be alittle less toxic, I'm not sure. You could ask your vet.

I went into the backyard today and found some of Hogans Business which han't been picked up. I broke down...I'm crying over my dogs droppings..I also snipped some hair from Hogan the other day and put it away..I can't wait till I get his ashes...

Rod

Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 PM

137 posts, read 412,631 times
I hope you are doing as well as can be. those first few days are really tough. Oscar has been gone 2 years and some days are still rough.

I found "reminders" of Oscar for quite a while. small specks of bloods I missed from his drippy nose, hair in his grooming brush, one of his toys he had hidden, etc.

even when I had to take my current dogs Felix and Kramer to the vet, it was hard to be in the exam room where Oscar left us.

take care of yourself and take comfort knowing that Hogan had a great life, and a peaceful passing. I made a little scrapbook for Oscar, I wanted to write down things about him, especially the quirky things he did that made us laugh.

in the sad moments, try to think of something funny that Hogan did. even if you have to smile thru tears, it helps

Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM

oscarmom.

You know what I am going through. I keep going over in my mind 2 1/2 weeks ago I was walking him! I really can't believe he is gone. There is nothing in my house I do that does not remind me of Hoag. I can tell you step by step place by place where he laid at different times at night. His final stop was against the front of my bed, The bed would shake just alittle as he layed down against it. Tears are running down my face as I type. To top it off today the vet and a friend sent me sympthy cards...The vet adding some note again saying we had to do it..It did nothing but got me upset..

Today my son and I went to the animal shelter. Just playing around with a pitbull, of all things, took my mind of things..But then we come home to no dog greetings and sympthy cards..As I've stated I've gone through this 3x before. This one smarts just alittle bit more..
In hindsight I would have given Hogan a rhinoscopy back in Jan, maybe it could have saved him. I will never know...Sooner or later his ashes will be coming to us...

Ok guys I hope all the dogs here continue to fight the fight...Goodnite..God bless those dogs and you owners..
Rod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs