Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:06 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I hope you didn't take my comment on our rescue dog as me advising forcing (dragging/pushing) you dog. Mine is just stubborn and has decided he is a house dog, he doesn't have fear. It is a fine line when a dog is afraid because you can easily make the matter worse.
No...and that's the problem this dog is for lack of a better word very timid and sensitive. We're seeking advice bc we didn't have this issue with our other dog. He didn't care for rain either but now to this degree. Going potty was far more of a need for him. He did want you to stand with him and we did lol. Maybe we should work with him when he really needs to go. This dog has a giant bladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Then YOU are going to HAVE to go out with him.... How do you know he wont go out if you just opening the door?
No were not just opening the door he goes out and we stay inside. We go out there with him always because you never know what's out there. (Coyotes are in the area). We stand at the door like normal, say go potty, normally he's right at the door urgently wanting to get out. Door opens he runs out we go out with him. Does his business, runs back in. With thunder and accompanying heavy rain he does none of that. He moves away from the door entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 05:12 PM

1,201 posts, read 806,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah. Thanks for the lengthy response this time but if that's what you've gathered then you know, whatever. We have undergone training sessions with this dog. You know squat really about what we have or have not done yet respond in a rather generic manner because,I know, youve seen so many owners like us before. Meanwhile, I'll continue to read other informative responses to this thread.

Thanks so far guys.
I was just basing it on your responses to various suggestions, excuses as to why you can't or won't do this thing or that. Anyway, good luck with that! I hope it doesn't storm often because I have a feeling you'll be cleaning up the floor a lot.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:58 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
I was just basing it on your responses to various suggestions, excuses as to why you can't or won't do this thing or that. Anyway, good luck with that! I hope it doesn't storm often because I have a feeling you'll be cleaning up the floor a lot.
Uh yeah, sure. Since you have added nothing remotely helpful or informative in this topic and it's just a tit for tat at this point with the Dog whisperer, I'm through engaging with you. Next. Save the be a leader me alpha shpiel.

Last edited by riaelise; 03-30-2018 at 08:28 PM..

Old 03-30-2018, 10:48 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,006,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
. . .

There aren't any quick fixes for noise-phobic dogs, rather it is more trying different things to see what will make him most comfortable.

Just a bit of perspective: when a dog is in fear mode- in this case fear of storms- he is functioning with the instinctive side of his brain. He doesn't want to be fearful; he isn't choosing to be afraid any more than you can choose to be afraid of snakes or spiders or whatever your particular fear is. Fear isn't rational; it is primal and instinctive, and out of Wally's control. In some dogs, e.g. border collies, noise phobias have a genetic component, so in these cases it is highly unlikely that the dog will improve with time even with good management. In Wally's case, if you can make him comfortable when you know a storm is coming it will go a long way toward helping him feel safe and preventing this from getting worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
This is incorrect.

Behavior can be reinforced. Fear is not a behavior. Fear can not be reinforced; it is perfectly acceptable to comfort a fearful dog. Doing so will not reinforce the fear; it simply isn't possible to reinforce fear which operates on a primal unconscious level.

Fear can be counter-conditioned (Pavlov) which will directly address and potentially resolve the fear issue.

Comforting a frightened dog will not reinforce the dog's fear anymore than comforting a frightened child will reinforce the child's fear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
. . . Let me reiterate - he is afraid of thunder and heavy rain and will not go out of the house unless we physically move him. That means we'd have to pull him by either a collar or leash or pick him up. You say "take him out" as if he's just walking out with us but no, he's not. . . . We don't need potty training 101 here . . .This dog is seven years old and very timid. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know it's ton harder with a rescue dog.... but what about trying to convince her thunder is fun? . . .
Twelve has hit the nail on the head, and Mikala is helping hammer the nail home.

Riaelise, I know you are already "there" with what I have to say today, but I'll say it for the thread. With what you have described, the most likely route to success is to re-associate the dog (12's Pavlovian training). When there is thunder, the dog gets goodies. I have very good results with simple shoulder massage/rubs when we have tension/fear moments. Good massage movements release endorphins - the body's feel-good self-produced drug. Food treats may do the trick too. I encourage calming postures, and I reinforce them with the neck and shoulder rubs. Calming postures are sit and down. Down is by far the better. But sit is better than standing.

And it is never a one-time training result. Patience - as you have said.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:20 AM

48,557 posts, read 34,927,283 times
Is your weather the least bit predictable? Would anti-anxiety meds help in the process?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-31-2018, 10:43 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,251,715 times
I did not read the whole thread. But we have the same exact issue with our Pomeranian. Wet outside and she won't go past the door area outside. But she Loves the snow and doesn't stop her if its snow on the ground.

But if we walk her on the sidewalk to park area ..... she has no problem if wet and light rain even. That pleasure of the walk smelling other dogs and marking a territory .... trumps rain. If we do not .... we WILL get her doing it in the house. But at least its the kitchen by the kitchen door to the yard vs. carpeting. I don't think thunder scares can be fixed. They hear more then us. Not really suggesting .... but merely our example and only fix temporarily we found or a guaranteed in-house present left.

If mentioned before and not seen as a fix..... just ignore the post.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:33 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,404,286 times
We have the same problem, so crate our dog on bad weather days when we are not home. She also doesn't like - in the least - to go potty when it is raining outside. This is the only thing we could find that works. Otherwise, poop and pee indoors...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs