Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 06:36 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,305,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Thanks, Deserterer, for your post. Do you happen to live in the desert? (we're in high desert). Hobbs is on Rimadyl and monthly injections of Adequan, both of which help the joints. The vet also prescribed Gabapentin but it didn't seem to help much. I hide pills in a bit of canned cat food--works every time (he was onto the cheese). Hobbs used to take long walks with me out onto my ranch land but his breathing is very labored and he knows his limits.Vet says the heart's okay. I think the poor dog has the equivalent of COPD plus being at 7,000 feet doesn't help. To help Hobbs sleep at night, Benedryl was suggested. For Hobb's apparent dementia, he's been on Dr. Bill's OTC cognitive support supplement available from Amazon which helps. Good to know about the med you mentioned.
I only live in the desert part time, for now. I tried Gabapentin before too but it made him too wobbly. I started trying it again last night because we have to clear the Tramadol before trying Anipryl, if we end up trying it. I'm going to get a 2nd opinion since my vet didnt even ask about his dementia symptoms. I didnt notice any major pain relief with gaba either. I'm hoping it will at least keep him from being restless and agitated at night. Last night it was a mixed bag. Better than nothing but not as good as Tramadol.

My lab has had noisy breathing at times for years, but it hasn't affected his ability to exercise much. I think he has mild laryngeal paralysis but since he doesn't do it at the vet and my vet is pretty worthless anyway he's never been diagnosed. Have you considered that? The one place it does affect him is at high elevations, where he definitely lags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 08:41 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,384,689 times
My last dog (Kaya) was almost 16 when she succumbed to cancer. The challenges I had with her were minimal, but I think the biggest was her hearing. She didn't go deaf, but for a dog who - in her prime - could almost hear a pin drop in another room, the adjustment to her hearing going south did take a bit of time. She began spooking at loud sounds and large, noisy crowds...something that never bothered her in the slightest in her youth. At first I didn't know what was going on with her, but once I realized that it was her hearing (I entered a room one day, called her name as she sat facing in the other direction, and got no response, even when I clapped my hands) I understood. I suffer from acute hearing loss as well, and I know what it's like to have sounds that were previously clear, start to become distorted and weird. So once I learned this, I kept her away from anything too noisy, and she was fine.

She also slowed down physically, but not as much as I would have expected. Took her on a walk once in the winter with my sister's younger dog, and Kaya was clearly having issues trying to get through some deep snow in a field...something she would have easily bounded through a few years previous. So we left there and I began only walking her in areas where it wouldn't be a struggle.

The only other challenge came after she was diagnosed with cancer; and that challenge only appeared a day before she died. She had been treated palliatively, with Tramadol and a couple of other drugs (to manage pain and her response to her body releasing large doses of histamine). It was only when the disease began to surpass the care that she began to fail, and that's when she'd had enough. She was a tough old girl, in great physical shape except for the appearance of cancer (upon her bloodwork to diagnose her, the vet said 'If I didn't know whose bloodwork this was, I'd swear the dog would have been maybe 7 or 8 years old...no older than that') and she put up a valiant fight, and had a wonderful love of life, right to her final day.

*btw, I love all dogs, but do believe there's something really special about older dogs. If I had the money, the space, and didn't currently have a dog who is afraid of others of his own species, I'd definitely go and adopt an older dog from a shelter.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:01 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,409,250 times
My schnoodle will be 10 this summer. He's on Galliprant and joint supplements for arthritis.

He's prone to injuries. Last month he was pulling on the leash when he saw another dog and strained his hind leg. I had to carry him back home.

Since then, whenever another dog crosses our path - I will pick him up and carry him until the coast is clear.

When he's injured, we start giving him gabapentin and we lift him on/off the furniture, carry him up and down the stairs and no walks. He's only allowed in the backyard long enough to do his business.

Today, we wake up and he's sleeping on the floor (he's usually on the bed with us). He's definitely "off" today - very lethargic, moving slowly, not playful like usual - but eating and drinking fine. We can't pinpoint what's wrong.

When he's not feeling well my anxiety is elevated. I hate it when my boy is like this and I just want to make it better. I wish he could tell me what's wrong so I can fix it.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:59 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
Google golden paste. All my seniors are on this and it works. When it gets worse I add CBD oil and finally painkillers. Lola my little GSP girl is 19 now and still going strong. Still runs, hunts, plays, and jumps on the bed. I do think she is starting to lose her hearing and I try to make sure she can see me and I have started to use hand gestures along with the verbal command. So far so good. She seems to be happy and considering her age is in amazing condition.

Hard to be sure about the hearing thing. She COULD be shining me on!

Old 05-07-2018, 09:53 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,384,689 times
*One thing I forgot to add to my post: Kaya did begin to develop an intolerance to cold weather as she aged. When she was around 12-13, I noticed that during the really frigid winter days, which she used to love (temps. around -25 to -30 deg. C never bothered her when she was young) she was starting to shiver. So I bought her a heavy-duty winter coat, and for the most part she was able to handle playtime outdoors in the winter. However, I did have to keep playtime / outdoor walks shorter as she aged, because even with a coat and boots on, she would get a chill if kept out too long. And as I mentioned, she used to love the cold weather in her youth.

I guess a lot of our dogs' aging issues can mimic our own. As I age, I so wish I could live in a warmer climate...!

Old 05-08-2018, 12:33 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,160,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
16 1/2 and her body is still sound and tough, but her appetite has faded so I have to go to special lengths to indulge her into eating.

She's having a bit of trouble any time it is dark and we have any change in routine. So I leave a light on for her until she is tucked into bed for the night. Changes in her bed routine leave her crying so we hold carefully to the routine.

She is losing a bit of hearing. If she acts like she can't hear me, I clap my hands to get her attention.

She's always thought highly of herself, so when she occassionally forgets her training I can't tell if she is having memory problems or she is taking advantage. She's always been one to continuously test the boundaries.
That's a great idea about leaving a light on for your dog. Dogs and cats do not really see better in the dark than humans do and when hearing is impaired or dementia is involved, the light is important as well as being in familiar surroundings. Hobbs has always slept in the bedroom with us, door closed to keep cats out, but then I can hear Hobbs if he needs to go outside in the middle of night since he won't bark but he does "tap dance" in front of the door.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
My last dog (Kaya) was almost 16 when she succumbed to cancer. The challenges I had with her were minimal, but I think the biggest was her hearing. She didn't go deaf, but for a dog who - in her prime - could almost hear a pin drop in another room, the adjustment to her hearing going south did take a bit of time. She began spooking at loud sounds and large, noisy crowds...something that never bothered her in the slightest in her youth. At first I didn't know what was going on with her, but once I realized that it was her hearing (I entered a room one day, called her name as she sat facing in the other direction, and got no response, even when I clapped my hands) I understood. I suffer from acute hearing loss as well, and I know what it's like to have sounds that were previously clear, start to become distorted and weird. So once I learned this, I kept her away from anything too noisy, and she was fine.

She also slowed down physically, but not as much as I would have expected. Took her on a walk once in the winter with my sister's younger dog, and Kaya was clearly having issues trying to get through some deep snow in a field...something she would have easily bounded through a few years previous. So we left there and I began only walking her in areas where it wouldn't be a struggle.

The only other challenge came after she was diagnosed with cancer; and that challenge only appeared a day before she died. She had been treated palliatively, with Tramadol and a couple of other drugs (to manage pain and her response to her body releasing large doses of histamine). It was only when the disease began to surpass the care that she began to fail, and that's when she'd had enough. She was a tough old girl, in great physical shape except for the appearance of cancer (upon her bloodwork to diagnose her, the vet said 'If I didn't know whose bloodwork this was, I'd swear the dog would have been maybe 7 or 8 years old...no older than that') and she put up a valiant fight, and had a wonderful love of life, right to her final day.

*btw, I love all dogs, but do believe there's something really special about older dogs. If I had the money, the space, and didn't currently have a dog who is afraid of others of his own species, I'd definitely go and adopt an older dog from a shelter.
I'm sorry to hear that your beloved Kaya passed. You took excellent care of her right through the end. 15 or 16 years is along time to have a pet. My former labs never made it past 12-13 but Hobbs might keep going for awhile yet. Not sure of exact age but the shelter guessed 5 yrs. in 2008. Hobbs and last dog were middle age when adopted from the shelter. Sadly most folks adopt the puppies and young dogs from shelter but old dogs need love, too.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
So happy Hobbs is still with you. You have given him a very good life and lots of love. When the time comes, know that you have done all you could. He loves you. Many animals don't have anyone to love.
Great to hear from you again, SouthernBelle! You remember from ancient posts here about his rough start shortly after we adopted him. He is just the sweetest dog. Hunter Wold and I were certain he was abused in his past life and grateful that the initial bite attack was an isolated incident. Right now I can manage the care situation as it is but it's one week at a time. Hobbs has quality of life, sleeps A LOT, walks okay most of the time (doggies traction socks already ordered), is learning a couple hand signals, wants to ride in the car still, and loves to be brushed. He gets some additional "grooming" by his buddy, Chester-cat.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:10 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,675,760 times
Well, I got the bloodwork back on my 18 y/o I posted about earlier. She's mildly anemic and some of her liver enzymes are up. The vet suspects this is all due to the meloxicam (NSAID) she is on for her arthritis. I'm switching over to Galliprant after the 3-day wash out period. Supposed to have less side effects so I hope it works.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:14 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, I got the bloodwork back on my 18 y/o I posted about earlier. She's mildly anemic and some of her liver enzymes are up. The vet suspects this is all due to the meloxicam (NSAID) she is on for her arthritis. I'm switching over to Galliprant after the 3-day wash out period. Supposed to have less side effects so I hope it works.
Galliprant has worked really well for my arthritic dog. I frequently recommend it to friends and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs