Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 01:47 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,031 times

Advertisements

My 13-year old Weimaraner, Zoli, just had a toe amputated last week, and although the incision is healing just fine, the vet told us today that the pathology report indicates that it was cancerous--squamous cell carcinoma. She thinks she got it all, but she wants us to be prepared for the worst.

Back story:
This toe used to have an ugly thick monstrous nail that would grow twice as fast as the other nails. One day I accidentally stepped on her foot (she had snuck up behind me) and the nail just came off by itself the next day. Over the next couple of months we tried to get it to heal up but she kept licking it obsessively and it just gradually became infected.

I have posted before about her. I adopted her when she was 18 months old. She turned out to be a real challenge. For many years she displayed extreme separation anxiety and violent territorial aggressiveness toward other dogs. She has injured several dogs. Many times over the years I reached out to various community groups to see if I could find her another home. But I was never successful, and now I'm glad I wasn't. She's always been really attached to me. And even though I have complained about her for years and made jokes about how I wish she would die (peacefully and painlessly, of course), I love her very much, and I will miss her terribly when she's gone.

Incidentally, I can't imagine that she doesn't have several good years left. Zoli, who'll be 14 in August, is still super energetic--like a puppy. She has an enormous appetite and can jump up on the bed, even though it's about three feet off the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 02:35 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
Having had a doberman whose toe was amputated for the same cancer, which then spread to other parts of his body (lungs, eye and liver), I can empathize. Praying that your Weimaraner's cancer was caught in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs