Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 02:43 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,149,915 times

Advertisements

Having read many threads about people being knocked down by jumping dogs and being bitten etc., I'm curious to know what sort of dog liability insurance all of you carry (if any)? We have a 6 month old well trained lab but I'm still concerned if/when something happens. I've spoken to my independent insurance agent and she said she has seen an uptick in law suits resulting from dog bites and folks being knocked down here in northeast Florida where we live.

In Florida, the average amount people sue for dog bites/jumping etc. is ~$37k. My homeowner's insurance only covers up to $25k ($30/year increase in premium) which I don't think is enough. I'm likely going to get a separate policy for $100k with a $1,500 deductible which will run about $220 in annual premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 02:54 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Are you talking on your property ? or out in the general public ? not sure but im guess you are talking about on your property we have plenty of insurance for those sort of things but honestly if my dog bit you and you are on my property too bad so sad because you were on my property w/o my permission then you deserve what happens to you as a result of my dog .

Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,149,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Are you talking on your property ? or out in the general public ?
I'm talking about both on my property and out in public. I know some insurance companies will only cover incidents occurring on my property.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,242 times
Quote:
Are you talking on your property ? or out in the general public ? not sure but im guess you are talking about on your property we have plenty of insurance for those sort of things but honestly if my dog bit you and you are on my property too bad so sad because you were on my property w/o my permission then you deserve what happens to you as a result of my dog .
It doesn't work that way in most (if not all) states. As dumb and as unreasonable as it is, the dog owner is still liable.

In fact, my home owner's insurance had me remove the "Beware Of Dog" sign from my outside gate. IF my dog were to bite a trespasser, the sign is admitting my dog is dangerous... in a round about way. It would make the insurance payout that much higher.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:55 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,493 times
Quote:
Nope - too bad, so sad you're probably getting sued. Just because someone is on your property doesn't give you the right to harm them. You can't set booby traps. You can't open fire on someone. You can't go out and just beat the crap out of someone on your property without consequences. If you have a pool, you don't get to say "to bad, so sad" if a neighborhood kid drowns in it. And your dog can't just bite someone for being on your property - and if your dog does, you're a pretty irresponsible owner. If your dog would bite someone for coming onto your property, unless that dog is a professionally trained guard dog (i.e. not a pet), you've failed as a dog owner. Do you think a child really "deserves" to have his face torn off because he ran into your yard to retrieve a ball that went astray? Do you really think the Jehova's witnesses, annoying as they are, "deserve" to be bitten by your dog? Do you really think the meter reader "deserves" to be bitten for going into our backyard?

Old 08-06-2018, 04:03 PM

My dogs are normal breeds and covered under homeowner's/renter's insurance. I think most of these policies also cover you if the dog is off the property. I can't imagine ever having to file a claim - my dogs are well-socialized, well-trained, suitable pet breeds, and I never set them up to fail (let them run up to people off leash, allow young children to pet them and even with older children, I squat down and wrap my arm around their chest for good measure, watch constantly for people/children that may be approaching my dogs). If I had a dog with a sketchy temperament, I would (and have) have them muzzled in public. I don't know if I would sue someone for a dog bite unless it was really severe, although I would definitely report them and if necessary, argue for a dangerous dog designation. I guess it would kind of depend on the circumstance, however, if it was a breed not suitable for pets, I would absolutely sue regardless of severity.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Nope - too bad, so sad you're probably getting sued. Just because someone is on your property doesn't give you the right to harm them. You can't set booby traps. You can't open fire on someone. You can't go out and just beat the crap out of someone on your property without consequences. If you have a pool, you don't get to say "to bad, so sad" if a neighborhood kid drowns in it. And your dog can't just bite someone for being on your property - and if your dog does, you're a pretty irresponsible owner. If your dog would bite someone for coming onto your property, unless that dog is a professionally trained guard dog (i.e. not a pet), you've failed as a dog owner. Do you think a child really "deserves" to have his face torn off because he ran into your yard to retrieve a ball that went astray? Do you really think the Jehova's witnesses, annoying as they are, "deserve" to be bitten by your dog? Do you really think the meter reader "deserves" to be bitten for going into our backyard?

I think it depends on where you live . some guy got bitten here not too long ago and also state law and insurance coverage here you must put a sign up beware of dog in order to get homeowners here . my meter is not in my backyard it is on the side of my house . they usually don't come to read the meters here anyways . No if a kid loses a ball in my backyard I expect him or her to ring the bell like most parents teach and ask if they can go back there . anyways my dogs are house dogs so they don't go in the back yard except to do their duty and they are done. so you see I am a responsible dog owner so talk what you know not what you don't know . you don't even know me and you are calling me irresponsible far from it .

Old 08-06-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I think it depends on where you live . some guy got bitten here not too long ago and also state law and insurance coverage here you must put a sign up beware of dog in order to get homeowners here . my meter is not in my backyard it is on the side of my house . they usually don't come to read the meters here anyways . No if a kid loses a ball in my backyard I expect him or her to ring the bell like most parents teach and ask if they can go back there . anyways my dogs are house dogs so they don't go in the back yard except to do their duty and they are done. so you see I am a responsible dog owner so talk what you know not what you don't know . you don't even know me and you are calling me irresponsible far from it .
Where did I call you an irresponsible owner? Or are you saying your dog has bitten someone?

Old 08-06-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
My dogs are normal breeds and covered under homeowner's/renter's insurance. I think most of these policies also cover you if the dog is off the property. I can't imagine ever having to file a claim - my dogs are well-socialized, well-trained, suitable pet breeds, and I never set them up to fail (let them run up to people off leash, allow young children to pet them and even with older children, I squat down and wrap my arm around their chest for good measure, watch constantly for people/children that may be approaching my dogs). If I had a dog with a sketchy temperament, I would (and have) have them muzzled in public. I don't know if I would sue someone for a dog bite unless it was really severe, although I would definitely report them and if necessary, argue for a dangerous dog designation. I guess it would kind of depend on the circumstance, however, if it was a breed not suitable for pets, I would absolutely sue regardless of severity.

Who are you to determine what breeds are suitable for pets ? you are the reason people don't take their pets out in public since you said you would sue just because of the breed not the severity of the bite . wow .

Old 08-06-2018, 04:31 PM

dog can't just bite someone for being on your property - and if your dog does, you're a pretty irresponsible owner.

refresh your memory now .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs