Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 03:24 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,730,573 times

Advertisements

Hi, so my wife and I just adopted a chihuahua mix puppy. She is 2 months old.

My wife and I work opposite schedules an odd Blessing but same weekends on. The mothers work opposite weekends and said they look after the pup.

So we are thinking of bringing the pup to my MIL. She has a 20 pound dog that will probably bark at her. We were going to leave her in the cage in the bathroom, sounds great. Then the MIL can check on her through out the day. Separate her from the bigger dog to run around a little.

Should we just leave her at home? She be in a crate for 3 hours then my wife would come home walk her go back to work.

Appreciate the insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 03:39 PM

296 posts, read 267,023 times
Nothing about leaving a puppy "in a cage in the bathroom" sounds great to me.

You need to crate train the puppy. Give her exercise in the morning before you or wife go to work, come home and let her out for a while to run around and go outside, then exercise when someone gets home in the evening.

If you think there will be more than 3 hours in the crate at this young age you need to get someone to come and let her out to potty and play. Frankly IMO even three hours is too long for a puppy.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:42 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times
Depends Do you Want her to grow up Not being around other dogs or people? 3 hours in a crate home alone wont hurt her IF you play with her to tire her out & let her potty Just before you crate her & leave... then she most likely sleep. On the other had she gets to go with MiL & Play with another dog. Learning How to be a Dog....

Old 09-09-2018, 06:39 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,730,573 times
So brought her to MIL
Today my mom is stopping by apartment for 3 hours to watch the pup. So we leave at 2 then mom over at 6 leaves at 8 then we are back home by 12. Give 4 hrs alone in crate.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:45 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,291,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
So brought her to MIL
Today my mom is stopping by apartment for 3 hours to watch the pup. So we leave at 2 then mom over at 6 leaves at 8 then we are back home by 12. Give 4 hrs alone in crate.
I could be wrong, but with that schedule you're going to have a tough time potty training her. Right now, her tiny little bladder can only hold it for two hours max! Also, I would not have her around other dogs or where other dogs are; i.e. MIL, until she's fully vaccinated. Yes, your MIL's dog might very well be vaccinated but that doesn't prevent the dog from being a carrier of disease.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 AM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
Quote:
...just adopted a chihuahua mix puppy. She is 2 months old.
At two months the puppy should still be in the litter box nursing on momma
This dog now needs to be WITH their person nearly constantly in & out almost hourly etc.

Quote:
Appreciate the insight.
I'd suggest adopting a mature dog that is past all the drama you have to go through.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:48 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,578,797 times
Quote:
So brought her to MIL
She will most likely cry for the 4 hrs. and that is cruel.

Why did you get a puppy in the first place if you have such a scattered schedule? You probably think she will sleep all the time. NOT

They need a lot of attention, loving and bonding with their new owner; and you will come home to a mess in the crate. They need to start a routine, and that is not a routine isolated inside a crate.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:20 PM

32,683 posts, read 48,217,712 times
She's Itty bitty. Get yourself a gigantic wire crate, Great Dane size. Or else an exercise pen.

Put in a large, flat box filled halfway with rabbit size alfalfa pellets. Put in a cushy dog bed and a couple of good toys.

That little dog will be plenty fine in there and she won't be able to get into trouble or injure herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs