Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:57 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times

Advertisements

Give the dog something to do when she wants to jump. Like tell her to sit (and push her down if necessary). Tell her to come to you. Tell her no and push her away from the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:07 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,861 times
Thanks for the ideas. I am going to try a few of these.

Part of the problem is, while she's a smart and obedient dog when it's just me and her, when a friend shows up (especially one she likes) she goes "crazy" with excitement and she won't listen. I am not a big fan of Caesar Milan, but he has this term for aggressive dogs going into what he calls the "red zone" where they are uncontrollably aggressive. My dog goes into the "rainbow zone" of happiness and excitement.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I am going to try a few of these.

Part of the problem is, while she's a smart and obedient dog when it's just me and her, when a friend shows up (especially one she likes) she goes "crazy" with excitement and she won't listen. I am not a big fan of Caesar Milan, but he has this term for aggressive dogs going into what he calls the "red zone" where they are uncontrollably aggressive. My dog goes into the "rainbow zone" of happiness and excitement.
Get a friend who is dog savvy to do the stepping towards already described. Step towards the dog, and ignore until they are in a calm sit. Not a vibrating in place sit. It will take some time, and some time outs too.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:03 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
I found what worked best with my current dog was a combination of things.

When she'd try jumping on me I'd turn my back on her with arms crossed immediately and give the command "OFF". If her feet hit the floor only then did she get praise. Part of the problem teaching dogs not to jump is that people almost instinctively reach out and PET the dog when it plants paws on them, which teaches the dog that they get something nice when they jump. It's hard to restrain yourself (so who's harder to train...you or the dog? ), but turning your back and tucking your arms in seems to help.

If she couldn't touch me, she'd start jumping up and down without touching anyone. She was praised. Didn't take her long to learn that she was permitted to jump all she wanted (and get rid of that excitement) as long as she didn't touch anyone. Worked quite well.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:55 AM

Last night I found a clicker. I tried using it early on, when I first got her, to train her, but she was terrified of it and I put it away. I thought, maybe I could also use the clicker when she jumped since she runs away from the noise (but it doesn't actually hurt her). She would associate jumping with a noise she hates. Or so I thought.

Now she isn't afraid of it anymore. I clicked it for the first time since I got her and she came to me to check it out. So I've been clicking it and giving her a treat each time after she sits. I am trying to train her to think "click and I sit = treat." This dog loves treats more than she loves me. Maybe.

Any of you ever try that? I am thinking if I get her really used to clicking and sitting for a treat, I can use it when people come over. As soon as they walk in the door and she starts to get excited, I click, she sits, and the treat comes. Maybe it will help her focus/switch her mind off jumping on people and wanting a treat instead. I feel like if I can get her to focus and just be happy, but not crazy happy, then I can control the situation better.

I like your other relies too. I just have to wait until our next get together to implement them and I am looking to do something else in the meantime. Like I said, she doesn't jump on me anymore.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:59 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northshorenative View Post
As the dog jumps up, turn around immediately and don't touch him so the dog gets your back. Say, UH-UH, SIT (Does he know sit?). When he sits, turn back around and tell him he's good and give him a treat.

He wants to see your face, not your back. He will learn that he only gets to look at you when he sits.

I was also told to stick up a knee to push them down, but the turning around worked a lot better.
I used this method, and it worked well. The knee thing only made my dog think I was playing with him. Most dogs don't want to be ignored, and want the attention of you facing them. The treat is the positive reinforcement that really seals the deal. Positive reinforcement is much more powerful than negative, or saying no.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:41 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Well you don't go all Kung-Fu on the dog with your knee- It's a bump in the brisket and a loud 'NO'. Works for me IF the simple turn to the side method doesn't.
Exactly. Or by stepping on their toes. Its no more painful or cruel than when dogs play and normal rough and tumble. Their dogs not fragile flowers. As far as trust, they dont know you are stepping on their toes. They know when they jump on you they get a discomfort in their foot.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 AM

Well, in an update the clicker is working for other things (haven't had anyone over yet and won't for a while to practice some of the ideas in this thread).

I started doing one click for come here and sit and wait. Then two clicks as I give her a treat. I just do it all the time at random times.

Last night when we went for a walk, some dogs in a yard started barking at us. Usually my dog barks back but I clicked and she completely stopped and sat down and looked at me. So I double clicked and gave her a treat. It broke the fixation she was building before she barked. We continued our walk and she didn't try to bark at them again (even though they were still barking at us). I also had a neighbor pull up beside me to ask me a question. Usually my dog will bark at the people in cars when they pull up next to us. Did the click thing again and she sat quietly until we were done talking. Then double click and a treat.

Sometimes having a smart dog is frustrating, but other times like this, it's great that she learns so fast.

I am hoping this works for jumping too. I just need a victim.... I mean friend to come over.

I also need to find a replacement treat for the click before the poor dog gets fat. Something smaller than her usual treats. I am thinking peanuts. She loves them, they are small, and I buy them anyway for myself as a snack. I just need to switch to unsalted I suppose. That's a lot of salt for a dog otherwise. Probably better for me too.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:10 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,775,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Well, in an update the clicker is working for other things (haven't had anyone over yet and won't for a while to practice some of the ideas in this thread).

I started doing one click for come here and sit and wait. Then two clicks as I give her a treat. I just do it all the time at random times.

Last night when we went for a walk, some dogs in a yard started barking at us. Usually my dog barks back but I clicked and she completely stopped and sat down and looked at me. So I double clicked and gave her a treat. It broke the fixation she was building before she barked. We continued our walk and she didn't try to bark at them again (even though they were still barking at us). I also had a neighbor pull up beside me to ask me a question. Usually my dog will bark at the people in cars when they pull up next to us. Did the click thing again and she sat quietly until we were done talking. Then double click and a treat.

Sometimes having a smart dog is frustrating, but other times like this, it's great that she learns so fast.

I am hoping this works for jumping too. I just need a victim.... I mean friend to come over.

I also need to find a replacement treat for the click before the poor dog gets fat. Something smaller than her usual treats. I am thinking peanuts. She loves them, they are small, and I buy them anyway for myself as a snack. I just need to switch to unsalted I suppose. That's a lot of salt for a dog otherwise. Probably better for me too.
Awesome!! If she is reacting this well to the clicker, I'm sure it will work with the jumping! Good job.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:31 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Yes, the clicker works very well on some dogs. Recommended by my veterinarian and show dog owner for my standard Poodle was a jar of pennies with a cover and worked well for us. Hold dog by collar when doorbell rings, walk the dog to the door Use a strong 'sit' command. This: " Joey SIT" when you shake the penny jar before opening the door. Don't let the visitor in until the dog is sitting for a good 10 full secs. (which can be a long time for an excited dog). It takes a lot of patience and practices before the dog obeys. Use a patient friend or neighbor. The dog will get excited again and probably whimper when he sees the neighbor and lose all memory of 'sit'. Just keep repeating the shaker jar and the sit command. Hope this can work for you. I've never used treats, as they come to expect that bribe for everything 'good' that they do.

The same routine will work outdoors if you are walking the dog down the sidewalk etc. Many dogs get all excited and want to love on everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs