Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:57 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,185 times

Advertisements

I've been toying with the idea of getting another dog as a companion to my current dog, an 11-year-old intact male spaniel. I'd prefer an older (spayed) female.

There was a Facebook post in a Facebook group of which I'm a member, about a female Blue Heeler up for adoption, along with a photo of a cute, plump dog. I've been messaging the fosterer of the dog. She (the dog) is 9 years old, spayed, apparently spent most of her life in a puppy mill; has three (presumably) mild medical conditions (some slight hair loss, perhaps due to dry skin, that seems to be improving; plus a slight limp and a facial droop supposedly caused by a case of distemper when the dog was a pup). The fosterer represents the dog as being very friendly to all humans and most dogs, not a high-energy dog or a barker; and somewhat plump due to having insufficient exercise for a long time. She is supposedly housebroken.

I have some concerns, since I Googled Australian Cattle Dogs and Blue Heelers (pretty much the same dog) and various sites said that this was a high-energy, dominant, aggressive, biting breed. I must say that I've met some pet Australian Cattle Dogs over the years, in dog-friendly areas and dog parks, and those dogs were pleasant and calm.

I certainly don't want to bring a dog who is aggressive and a biter into my home. I would want a dog who was not much of a barker, low to medium in energy/activity level.

The rescue organization seems to be a group of people including the fosterer, who pull dogs and puppies from kill shelters, see to their veterinary needs, foster them and adopt them out. The fosterer is located over 2000 miles away, in Texas, and would have the dog transported to me; I think the fee is fairly low ($150) unless there is an additional cost for the dog herself (we haven't discussed those details yet). I asked how I would return the dog to them if it didn't work out, and the fosterer said she has a contact about 90 minutes from where I live who would come and take the dog.

My own dog is friendly to other dogs; but I am not sure how he will react to having another dog share our space. I don't want him to start (and continue to) marking the apartment to show he owns the place. It might be a good experience for him; or he might resent her, or he might tolerate her but not adore her. He will always be first with me; although I have room in my heart for another dog.

I also have a concern in that my dog has a mild heart condition that might be getting slightly worse to the point that he might need medication (up until his last EKG, there were no signs or symptoms; but at the last EKG they thought the heart might be enlarging). He's getting another EKG in about 3 weeks, and they said they might prescribe medication, depending what they find; medication that might cause him to have diarrhea. I am wondering if I should wait until I have the EKG done to make any further decision on pursuing this adoption or even the idea of adoption altogether.

The reason I was drawn to this particular dog, despite her being of a breed I've never owned or had a lot of experience with, is that she is said to have a very good temperament and, being older, not being a high-energy, a dog who could be happy with some short walks every day and living in an apartment.

So am I crazy? Do you think I should go for this, or wait? My original plan was to only adopt a dog from a shelter/rescue that I could meet in person before deciding, or to adopt a dog from a responsible breeder (maybe one I knew) who wanted to place an older female. My concerns are mostly if I should let myself trust the word of this fosterer as far as the dog's temperament, especially since I've seen information online about the Blue Heeler/Australian Cattle Dog breed that made me worry; and if I am getting myself into a difficult situation unnecessarily. I've never owned a Herding breed.

I realize that any rescue/older dog in need of rehoming would come with some baggage. But I can't have a dog that is prone to nipping and is difficult with other dogs. (been there, done that, not again) I live in an apartment building that allows all kinds of dogs; but any dog I have has to be able to sit quietly in an elevator on-leash when there are other people (including children) in it.

On the other hand, this dog sounds like she could be a lovely pet, one that perhaps I shouldn't pass up.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 11:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
Have your dog neutered now. Apart from the health concerns, his behavior will be unpredictable.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Have your dog neutered now. Apart from the health concerns, his behavior will be unpredictable.

Sorry; I don't quite understand your reply. Are you recommending that I neuter my dog for the sake of his health or the possibility of his reaction to a new dog (i.e. marking, aggression?), or both?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Sorry; I don't quite understand your reply. Are you recommending that I neuter my dog for the sake of his health or the possibility of his reaction to a new dog (i.e. marking, aggression?), or both?
Both.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:30 AM

Thanks for the advice, but there is no medical reason to neuter my dog, or at least not enough of a reason (and my vet concurred last time I asked him); if I did, it would be harder to keep him in good weight. He's not exactly running around contributing to the population of unwanted puppies. Have you personally seen/known a dog neutered in his senior years decrease or stop marking territory outside (or anywhere) - just curious.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, but there is no medical reason to neuter my dog, or at least not enough of a reason (and my vet concurred last time I asked him); if I did, it would be harder to keep him in good weight. He's not exactly running around contributing to the population of unwanted puppies. Have you personally seen/known a dog neutered in his senior years decrease or stop marking territory outside (or anywhere) - just curious.
I adopted a dog who was at leat ten. He lived almost six years after being neutered. I've adopted others who were far from being puppies and did the same. I also had a female whom I had spayed who was in her teens.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:09 AM

Did his neutering affect his marking?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:32 AM

255 posts, read 168,664 times
Quote:
I've been toying with the idea of getting another dog as a companion to my current dog, an 11-year-old intact male spaniel. I'd prefer an older (spayed) female.

There was a Facebook post in a Facebook group of which I'm a member, about a female Blue Heeler up for adoption, along with a photo of a cute, plump dog. I've been messaging the fosterer of the dog. She (the dog) is 9 years old, spayed, apparently spent most of her life in a puppy mill; has three (presumably) mild medical conditions (some slight hair loss, perhaps due to dry skin, that seems to be improving; plus a slight limp and a facial droop supposedly caused by a case of distemper when the dog was a pup). The fosterer represents the dog as being very friendly to all humans and most dogs, not a high-energy dog or a barker; and somewhat plump due to having insufficient exercise for a long time. She is supposedly housebroken.

I have some concerns, since I Googled Australian Cattle Dogs and Blue Heelers (pretty much the same dog) and various sites said that this was a high-energy, dominant, aggressive, biting breed. I must say that I've met some pet Australian Cattle Dogs over the years, in dog-friendly areas and dog parks, and those dogs were pleasant and calm.

I certainly don't want to bring a dog who is aggressive and a biter into my home. I would want a dog who was not much of a barker, low to medium in energy/activity level.

The rescue organization seems to be a group of people including the fosterer, who pull dogs and puppies from kill shelters, see to their veterinary needs, foster them and adopt them out. The fosterer is located over 2000 miles away, in Texas, and would have the dog transported to me; I think the fee is fairly low ($150) unless there is an additional cost for the dog herself (we haven't discussed those details yet). I asked how I would return the dog to them if it didn't work out, and the fosterer said she has a contact about 90 minutes from where I live who would come and take the dog.

My own dog is friendly to other dogs; but I am not sure how he will react to having another dog share our space. I don't want him to start (and continue to) marking the apartment to show he owns the place. It might be a good experience for him; or he might resent her, or he might tolerate her but not adore her. He will always be first with me; although I have room in my heart for another dog.

I also have a concern in that my dog has a mild heart condition that might be getting slightly worse to the point that he might need medication (up until his last EKG, there were no signs or symptoms; but at the last EKG they thought the heart might be enlarging). He's getting another EKG in about 3 weeks, and they said they might prescribe medication, depending what they find; medication that might cause him to have diarrhea. I am wondering if I should wait until I have the EKG done to make any further decision on pursuing this adoption or even the idea of adoption altogether.

The reason I was drawn to this particular dog, despite her being of a breed I've never owned or had a lot of experience with, is that she is said to have a very good temperament and, being older, not being a high-energy, a dog who could be happy with some short walks every day and living in an apartment.

So am I crazy? Do you think I should go for this, or wait? My original plan was to only adopt a dog from a shelter/rescue that I could meet in person before deciding, or to adopt a dog from a responsible breeder (maybe one I knew) who wanted to place an older female. My concerns are mostly if I should let myself trust the word of this fosterer as far as the dog's temperament, especially since I've seen information online about the Blue Heeler/Australian Cattle Dog breed that made me worry; and if I am getting myself into a difficult situation unnecessarily. I've never owned a Herding breed.

I realize that any rescue/older dog in need of rehoming would come with some baggage. But I can't have a dog that is prone to nipping and is difficult with other dogs. (been there, done that, not again) I live in an apartment building that allows all kinds of dogs; but any dog I have has to be able to sit quietly in an elevator on-leash when there are other people (including children) in it.

On the other hand, this dog sounds like she could be a lovely pet, one that perhaps I shouldn't pass up.

Thoughts?
Yes.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:19 AM

294 posts, read 219,541 times
Many years ago I had a 10 year old dog neutered and the absence of hormones made him drip urine. He was given a hormone shot every 5 or 6 weeks to help. It was kind of funny because the shot gave him a boost and he acted much younger for a few weeks until the shot wore off and he started to drip again and we would do it all over again. I take in old and special needs animals and they are very loving and seem to know you did something special for them. It is not easy to lose them after a few years but there is a very deep satisfaction knowing you helped an animal that few people would bother with.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:01 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Speaking only for myself, I've not heard of a dog stopping marking after neutering.

I have had two heelers, one was a quarter maybe of aomething else. She was calm but she was also always busy as she was a farm dog. I have a 6 year old female heeler now and she is not a calm dog and she is also always busy. Heelers can be barkers.

I wouldn't take the rescue at its word about the dog being calm or being suited for apartment life but I wouldn't say this dog couldn't be the exception either since she has had such a hard life. And male and female dogs tend to get along better than two females. Heelers nip at the heels and neither of my dogs was affectionate to strangers. At best, they tolerate/d them. Neither of mine were aggressive to other digs - they just ignored them.

I don't know enough about rescues to say whether it's worth taking a chance on this dog given that you can return her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs