Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 PM

6,625 posts, read 6,597,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
When the weather isn't too hot or humid, I leave the sliding door to my screened lanai opened a bit and then I also leave the screen door to the lanai open enough for my Catahoula mix to come and go. I have a fenced yard. Right now she is running back and forth outside trying to catch squirrels. She loves being outside when it's not hot. Of course I don't leave her out there when I'm not home and once it starts getting miserably hot and humid she will be stuck inside except for her potty breaks.

When I had Chihuahuas I never left them unsupervised in the yard due to hawks, coyotes, etc.
Our two little Yorkie-poos never go outside alone either.
A relative of a friend I know had a little Yorkie that she'd take out into the yard with her when she was gardening.

One day the little dog was on the lawn not far from the owner as she dug in her flower bed. She heard a yelp and when she turned around, her little dog was being carried away by an eagle. She never saw her dog again. I just can't even imagine the heartache.

My story: In our old house in the country, we had shoveled a clearing in the snow for our dogs to do their business in the front yard. Our little poodle was squatting, having a pee near the bank and suddenly spun around and looked up at the top of the bank. A big wolf was right there peering over the side of the bank, ready to grab her.

The scary thing was, I was about 8 feet away from her. She ran to me, and the wolf took off when I yelled. I'm glad she smelled him or heard him, because I sure never noticed him. Very sneaky and quiet.

NEVER leave your little dogs outside alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 03:02 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,967,995 times
I grew up with Scottish Terriers (and Siamese Cats). My husband and I had Shelties for years until our last one passed. When we retired, we decided that we wanted a smaller, less energetic dog. We searched and found a Scottie breeder, and have a wonderfully sweet and quirky female. She is very high energy, even though her breed is supposed to be medium to low. The breed has lost in number of registrations, hopefully it will have an uptick in popularity.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:10 PM

6,908 posts, read 11,306,582 times
Smile Grew up with collies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I have a friend who is a lifelong collie owner here in the Bay Area. She goes to SoCal to find decently bred collies. You just don’t see them.
I grew up with collies. My dad asked me what I wanted one year and I told him I wanted a dog. I was going into the hospital for more eye surgeries and he snuck the dog into the hospital in the hot hot hot Chicago summer weather wearing an overcoat (dog was in one of the pockets - a brand new puppy!)

I loved him; my first dog and we played every day; my constant companion. He passed away around 18 months later (went into a neighbor's garage and ate rat poison). I still close my eyes and remember my dad telling me. We were both so emotional about this little guy.

Then, we got another collie - a female - also a wonderful dog. We've had a total of 6 plus 5 Shelties (in my lifetime).

Now, I have 3 but have had 2 at a time for 23 years.

So gentle and kind.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:04 PM

10,403 posts, read 8,084,201 times
I can't remember the last time I saw either an Irish Setter or English Setter.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:50 PM

Smile Irish Setter

Beautiful dogs though

Old 04-17-2019, 10:39 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,004,229 times
Quote:
Yup. I’m a lifelong gsd (<- ???) owner.

No shortage of German shepherds anytime soon.
My grandmother's neighbor has a German shepherd and old rotty. They're both big teddy bears who love everybody. The German shepherd likes to jump on the fence with his squeaky ball in teeth when I'm in her backyard, something the rotty used to do but doesn't any more because of his arthritis.

"Oh boy, there's people! Hi there!!! PLEEEEEAZZZZZZZZ can we play, huh huh huh, can we can we can we can we can we?????"

Old 04-18-2019, 09:14 AM

Smile I can just see that....

I love playing with my dogs like that.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:09 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,004,229 times
And sometimes he'll try to bark with his squeaky toy in his mouth, which ends up sounding not so much like a bark as an hollow "awoooghhhhh ooggghhhhh oogghhhhh".

Old 04-19-2019, 05:46 AM

15,238 posts, read 10,440,215 times
When I was a kid I always thought German Shepherds and Irish Setters were the most beautiful dogs. While I do still see German Shepherds, I haven't seen an Irish Setter in many years.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 4,915 times
I haven't seen a Bearded Collie in ages.
Always wanted one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs