Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 07:18 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
That night, when my Gus passed on, I stayed up sat with him petting and talking to him. At 5am, I walked outside to a cool crystal clear night. The pack of Coyotes in the public lands behind me began to sing and looking up I saw a shooting star.

It was beautiful. It is heartbreaking.
You were both lucky to have each other. Again, I'm so sorry for your pain. I know it is terrible but hang in there. (HUGS)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 04:19 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I picked up my Gus cremains today and he's back home with me resting on my bedroom night stand. I feel more at peace, but this is just so hard. I don't think I will ever get over loosing him.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:30 PM

7,134 posts, read 4,540,768 times
I always am glad when they are back home. You never totally get over it but time decreases the pain. Finding a new baby to love personally helps me.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:36 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,929 times
Quote:
That night, when my Gus passed on, I stayed up sat with him petting and talking to him. At 5am, I walked outside to a cool crystal clear night. The pack of Coyotes in the public lands behind me began to sing and looking up I saw a shooting star.

It was beautiful. It is heartbreaking.
Now this may not be your belief, but when I am upset\concerned about something, I always look for signs from the universe, letting me know that all will be well.

I am sorry for your loss. As someone earlier said, almost everyone on this board has been there and we know how hard it is. I hope that, in time, another dog will find its way into your life.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:58 PM

11,443 posts, read 626,119 times
I am happy Gus is home Jim

Again I am so sorry for you losing him

Old 10-26-2019, 08:13 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
It's been four weeks since I lost my Gus, I still not just cry but sob almost every night, and feel so empty inside. I feel it's my fault for not doing enough to save him, I'm mad because he was taken from me, I'm just heartbroken. Lost, alone...

Old 10-26-2019, 11:53 PM

11,443 posts, read 626,119 times
Yea when I lost my dog I cried for a very long time........ I do understand.... We love them so much and when they leave its hard.....

I am so sorry

Old 10-26-2019, 11:57 PM

7,134 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Please rescue another dog that will be put down without you. That’s how we honor all the dogs that have passed.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:32 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
It's been four weeks since I lost my Gus, I still not just cry but sob almost every night, and feel so empty inside. I feel it's my fault for not doing enough to save him, I'm mad because he was taken from me, I'm just heartbroken. Lost, alone...
Jim, my heart goes out to you. The pain of losing a pet is devastating. Some people will think "it's just a dog" but truly loving and losing a dog is sometimes worse than losing a person you love. We dog lovers know this and totally understand.

All I can suggest is that you get another dog as soon as you can.

Believe me, having another dog to love and take care of really helps with the pain. You need another friend to love and there are so many dogs out there that need homes. Your Gus wouldn't want you to go on mourning for a long time.

I found not hearing their footsteps following me or snuggling on the couch and bed was the hardest.

Please think about it.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:22 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Jim, I totally understand what you are going through. I, too, had those surprising sobs. I didn't sob like that over a 30 year broken marriage, but when I had to say goodbye to my Dexter, my "mommie, can I keep him, I will take care of him forever and ever" dog, it was weeks of sobs at every reminder. Sobs that cut through you like a knife. This was the dog that survived and thrived with my 10 year recovery to the living - he went through it all with me. The pain doesn't go away, but it does get easier to handle. Don't worry about "moving on" - move forward at your pace.

Eventually, I did get a new love and after 18 months, I worried the two of us were too attached. So I got him a sister, all of 4 pounds right now. He hates me, I try not to let on how smitten I am, but every day their bond grows (especially when she sleeps and isn't crawling all over him). I do carve out time for just him and I. It's just been a few years since my loss, and my mind is diverted for the most part. But, every once in a while I will read a thread like yours and tears run down my face, only to be pulled away by someone nibbling on my shoe (while on my foot) or piddling because I did not catch her in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs