Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:01 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times

Advertisements

I took the pup to the park to try swimming. I had her double collared and double leashed. One collar was a martingale and the other was a flat collar. The reason I doubled her up is that she's got some type of sighthound in her and is highly sensitive to things that move.

When she got brave enough to wade further into the water, I detached her shorter leash from the martingale collar. She went as far as the lead would allow (10'). A kayaker went by and she barked and tried to go get the boat, but she couldn't.

Then across the field, a woman arrived with a small dog. Codie heard this, turned and saw the dog (around 200 yards away) and started squirming like a fish on a line, and before I knew it, she was out of the water, out of her flat collar and heading across the field.

She has no recall at all when she is excited by a moving thing and she LOVES dogs (much more than she loves me!). She ran toward the dog and I was running after her. Codie went straight to the woman and the dog and stood about 20' from them, barking. Codie is FAST, so I got there a minute or two later. Luckily, she was so enchanted with the dog, she stayed still barking at it. I grabbed her and held on for life and put the Martingale collar back on her. I apologized to the woman and said "she slipped her collar." The woman was totally cool, but probably thought I was lying since Codie had a collar on!

I guess my point in sharing this is to remind others that dogs can and do slip their collars. I have seen Codie slip even her Martingale collar as wellas a harness. I thought I had her under control with the double collar/leash idea, but I never should have detached her from the 2nd collar.

I feel so lucky that she didn't escape. I guess next time I will have to triple-constrain her with a harness and two collars.

So many people say that it's possible to teach a dog recall, but has anyone here honestly done it successfully with a sighthound?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 12:39 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I took the pup to the park to try swimming. I had her double collared and double leashed. One collar was a martingale and the other was a flat collar. The reason I doubled her up is that she's got some type of sighthound in her and is highly sensitive to things that move.

When she got brave enough to wade further into the water, I detached her shorter leash from the martingale collar. She went as far as the lead would allow (10'). A kayaker went by and she barked and tried to go get the boat, but she couldn't.

Then across the field, a woman arrived with a small dog. Codie heard this, turned and saw the dog (around 200 yards away) and started squirming like a fish on a line, and before I knew it, she was out of the water, out of her flat collar and heading across the field.

She has no recall at all when she is excited by a moving thing and she LOVES dogs (much more than she loves me!). She ran toward the dog and I was running after her. Codie went straight to the woman and the dog and stood about 20' from them, barking. Codie is FAST, so I got there a minute or two later. Luckily, she was so enchanted with the dog, she stayed still barking at it. I grabbed her and held on for life and put the Martingale collar back on her. I apologized to the woman and said "she slipped her collar." The woman was totally cool, but probably thought I was lying since Codie had a collar on!

I guess my point in sharing this is to remind others that dogs can and do slip their collars. I have seen Codie slip even her Martingale collar as wellas a harness. I thought I had her under control with the double collar/leash idea, but I never should have detached her from the 2nd collar.

I feel so lucky that she didn't escape. I guess next time I will have to triple-constrain her with a harness and two collars.

So many people say that it's possible to teach a dog recall, but has anyone here honestly done it successfully with a sighthound?
Couldn't agree with you more. Sammie is in a martingale collar plus we also have a "Doggie Lojack" (GPS transmitter) hooked on another collar on her AND she is microchipped. She is still so skittish in new situations, I alway am on the lookout for situations that could scare her enough that she would try to bolt. Once we get her calmed down and work on her confidence level a bit, I'll be sending the transmitter back to Best Friends. Until then, its just a little extra security in case she gets away from us!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:05 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Was going to suggest a harness in addition to the collar. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2010, 05:53 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
It is very difficult to get a 100% recall on a sighthound as once they are off and running that is all they are thinking of. They were bred to chase and so their minds focus on that. That is why the greyhound rescues usually make people sign papers saying the dog will not be off leash in unfenced areas.

Dazzle is a sighthound and he actually has a good recall .We do have a great off leash beach and he loves to run and play there and he so far has been good about the recall there and same is true at the dog park . His recall is better then most the dogs there. However while visiting with my brother, Chloe my brothers one bulldog was chasing Dazzle around both on leash and Dazzle slipped his collar after winding around my legs saw something down the road and like a rocket he was off and did not seem to even hear me.He was almost to the end of the road which is about 1/4 mile when he suddenly stopped and looked back at me so I started running the other way and he rocket after me and soon was by my side. But it was very frightening to have a dog that is running 30-40MPH race off like that. He is only allowed off leash in areas I deem as safe. It is just something sighthoud owners have to live with as their eyes are so fanatastic that they see things very far away that we can't see and they are off and running.

Before I got Dazzle and went to a show I asked the breeders the downside to his breed and they all came up with blanks but we all know everybreed has some. There was a man there that had one and he himself works as a trainer for guide dogs so has alot of dog training experience, he heard me asking so he told me that the downside is you can not let them off leash in unsafe areas. He said he is so use to Labs, Goldens, Shepherds and that he could open the door to his home and let them walk out to the car without a leash but with his sight hound that just is not possible as if she spots a cat down the road she is off and running and not paying any attention to him.

I consider myself lucky to have the recall I do on Dazzle but am not about to put it to the untimate test so off leash is only in safe places.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 AM

293 posts, read 1,035,820 times
I have a little Shih Tzu and we always have her collar with ID, but we only walk her with a harness. Harnesses are better for the neck and more secure for sure, if you fit them correctly. Not too lose or tight.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:28 PM

47 posts, read 161,534 times
thats scary! I only use Martingale's for this reason! Nola and Spencer on etsy.com has some great prints!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
Had 1 of my hounds get out of a halter once. Talk about fun try catching a dog that is leashed or in kennel and on occasion find a place can let run that is fenced in. They get going mind is on one thing and as my wife would compare it to is us men that get get male selective hearing and ignore the call.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Your wife nailed that right on the head!

Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Had 1 of my hounds get out of a halter once. Talk about fun try catching a dog that is leashed or in kennel and on occasion find a place can let run that is fenced in. They get going mind is on one thing and as my wife would compare it to is us men that get get male selective hearing and ignore the call.
dave has backed himself out of his harness before too ..... it was just his "regular" harness.... but this was when he was being chicken-dawg supreme and would balk if he didn't want to go any further out on our walks..... hasn't happened with the sensation harness.... but i also keep a close eye on things......

Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
Yeah, Codie can slip a flat collar as well as her Martingale. It's interesting to watch (she's way too smart). She backs up since pulling forward tightens the Martingale. Then she does this circular body contortion while backing up, and she's out. It shouldn't be this difficult. We tried the harness today. It works in the confines of the yard, but it's just scary when the REAL test occurs out in the open. She doesn't know anything about cars and it's my biggest fear - that she will escape into traffic. She only does this when she's excited about a moving object or other dog....she becomes a wild child.

Last edited by didee; 08-02-2010 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs