Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 05:12 PM

2,628 posts, read 1,173,205 times

Advertisements

Maybe you could walk by with a recording of the howling wolves on YouTube. Maybe it would scare the Shepard enough to stop barking LOL.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:42 AM

778 posts, read 503,975 times
When we moved into our house, we had planned to get a dog, because everyone in Texas has a dog, but after awhile we decided against it. Dogs are a PITA, and not only for the owner, but for everyone else, too. When we lived in CA, our best friends got a dog, a Boston terrier. There has never been a least desirable critter ever. Constant barking, constantly. We were boating buddies, and I liked the people, but hated their dog. I would ask my bud, "Can you control your dog?" He'd mumble something to the effect that he's tried, nothing works. When the dog died, I was glad, but they went and got another one of those devil dogs, the same exact breed, and this one was even worse than the first one! That was one aspect of moving to TX I liked, don't see them anymore, sad about that, but don't have to be around a dog that is constantly causing a commotion and will not shut up! Now, here in TX, my across the street neighbor has an incessantly barking dog, a German shepherd. Big barks, at everything. I asked him if he could get a handle on his dog and control that barking, and for a short time, he did. I think he just brought the dog into the house, but he got tired of that, and now the dog is outside in the backyard, barking through a wrought iron gate at everything again. I take walk around the neighborhood every day, and I carry a dog stick, a piece of half-inch PVC pipe 18" long. Every walker around here has a dog stick, some of them wicked looking things. I've actually hit a dog with a water bottle who was being very aggressive. That changed his mind. One time, I was at a party at a friend's house and there was a dog running about. Don't know whose dog is was, but when the dog, a big one, starting humping a kid, everyone thought it was funny, except the kid, who was crying as this dog humped him. I looked around. No one made any effort to stop it. I couldn't stand it, and went over there and kicked that dog as hard as I could, three times, to get him off that kid. I can't stand an unruly, misbehaving dog. I friend of mine once shot and killed a dog that had bit him while he was delivering his paper route. Owning a dog is time-consuming and requires effort, which most owners are not willing to invest in, so their beloved critter is feared and loathed by everyone else.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:53 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
When we moved into our house, we had planned to get a dog, because everyone in Texas has a dog, but after awhile we decided against it. Dogs are a PITA, and not only for the owner, but for everyone else, too. When we lived in CA, our best friends got a dog, a Boston terrier. There has never been a least desirable critter ever. Constant barking, constantly. We were boating buddies, and I liked the people, but hated their dog. I would ask my bud, "Can you control your dog?" He'd mumble something to the effect that he's tried, nothing works. When the dog died, I was glad, but they went and got another one of those devil dogs, the same exact breed, and this one was even worse than the first one! That was one aspect of moving to TX I liked, don't see them anymore, sad about that, but don't have to be around a dog that is constantly causing a commotion and will not shut up! Now, here in TX, my across the street neighbor has an incessantly barking dog, a German shepherd. Big barks, at everything. I asked him if he could get a handle on his dog and control that barking, and for a short time, he did. I think he just brought the dog into the house, but he got tired of that, and now the dog is outside in the backyard, barking through a wrought iron gate at everything again. I take walk around the neighborhood every day, and I carry a dog stick, a piece of half-inch PVC pipe 18" long. Every walker around here has a dog stick, some of them wicked looking things. I've actually hit a dog with a water bottle who was being very aggressive. That changed his mind. One time, I was at a party at a friend's house and there was a dog running about. Don't know whose dog is was, but when the dog, a big one, starting humping a kid, everyone thought it was funny, except the kid, who was crying as this dog humped him. I looked around. No one made any effort to stop it. I couldn't stand it, and went over there and kicked that dog as hard as I could, three times, to get him off that kid. I can't stand an unruly, misbehaving dog. I friend of mine once shot and killed a dog that had bit him while he was delivering his paper route. Owning a dog is time-consuming and requires effort, which most owners are not willing to invest in, so their beloved critter is feared and loathed by everyone else.
To sum up your post, YOU dont like dogs.

Old 03-29-2023, 12:20 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,677,918 times
Quote:
To be fair it is rarely the dog and is 99.9999999% the dog owner. The owner is who is responsible for the dogs behavior and most dog owners cannot handle that responsibility. I do agree that owning a dog can be a PIA. Mainly when vacationing because someone has to take care of it while you are gone. For me life has been a 50 year series of dogs and I can't imagine being without one.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:28 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
To be fair it is rarely the dog and is 99.9999999% the dog owner. The owner is who is responsible for the dogs behavior and most dog owners cannot handle that responsibility. I do agree that owning a dog can be a PIA. Mainly when vacationing because someone has to take care of it while you are gone. For me life has been a 50 year series of dogs and I can't imagine being without one.

Cat issues are nearly 100% "user error" also.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:58 AM

778 posts, read 503,975 times
No, I like dogs, really I do, as long the OWNER can control them! Every time the dog causes a ruckus, the OWNER should accountable for it.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:33 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
This is quite a post. It sounds as though everyone you come into contact with has out of control dogs!

Old 03-30-2023, 07:57 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And yes, you need to keep a better grip on the leash. There is not an excuse for 'losing the leash' unless you fell down or something like that, not because your dog got excited. What kind of leash is it, by the way? If it's a useless 'retractable leash', get rid of that dumb thing and get a 6' leash where you have more control over your own dog.
I would say a 4' leash, especially for a strong 100lb dog. I have a 75lb husky who isn't great on a leash (he's a rescue and we're working on that), and I can't control him properly with anything longer than 4'. A harness or haltie might also be a good idea, depending on the nature of this dog... my husky pulls a little more on a harness, but at least I don't have to worry about him slipping the collar.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
When we moved into our house, we had planned to get a dog, because everyone in Texas has a dog, but after awhile we decided against it. Dogs are a PITA, and not only for the owner, but for everyone else, too.
First, why are you on the DOG FORUM?

Second, I'm really really glad you decided against getting one... not because they're a "PITA" as you said (most of us here on the DOG FORUM would certainly disagree), or even because they're unruly as you claim. Most dogs are not, in my experience, but perhaps Texans suck at raising their dogs. Wouldn't surprise me, honestly. But I'm glad because of this:

Quote:
One time, I was at a party at a friend's house and there was a dog running about. Don't know whose dog is was, but when the dog, a big one, starting humping a kid, everyone thought it was funny, except the kid, who was crying as this dog humped him. I looked around. No one made any effort to stop it. I couldn't stand it, and went over there and kicked that dog as hard as I could, three times, to get him off that kid.
That is called abuse, aka animal cruelty, since the child wasn't actually in physical danger - at least not enough to justify kicking the poor dog three times as hard as you could. I would have reported you to the police if I'd witnessed this live. You are not capable of managing your emotions, least of all with a dog. Please never get one, in fact I hope you don't have any pets.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-30-2023 at 08:18 PM..

Old 03-30-2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
This is quite a post. It sounds as though everyone you come into contact with has out of control dogs!
There's an old saying - or perhaps it's not so old - which I'll clean up for C-D's sake: When everyone around you is a jerk, perhaps you are actually the jerk.

They are the common denominator, in other words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs