Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 09:14 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
A Rough Collie from very close to me here in WA won the best of Variety and was in the ring for the Herding Group last night. That's pretty exciting for me. I know the breeder and follow her on facebook, she bred a dog that belonged to one of our tenants.

And in the Group, she got called in for the final lineup, so that was fun! Though the Aussie won it.
Being Pulled in Group at Westminster is quite an honor. Winning Best of Variety at Westminster is also fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 09:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
So Buddy Holly the PBGV wins it all. I was rooting for the Aussie but that judge spent the most time going over Buddy, the English Setter and the Frenchie, and I felt that all 3 of them would be considered for Best In Show. When the judge gave reserve to the peke, I just felt BIS would go to Buddy.

You’ll have to believe I called it before it happened—my husband is my witness!

BTW, the pit bull (American Staffordshire Terrier) represented his breed and the terrier group well. It just goes to show these powerful dogs can be around strange dogs and people if they are well-trained. But like all dogs, they all need to be trained.

I'm sure that "Trouble" the AmStaff has been socialized to dog show environments and trained to proper manners around other dogs from quite a young age. I really liked him, he was adorable.

I thought Buddy was a fine-looking PBGV and was definitely asking for the win. Of course, every time I've seen a PBGV in the show ring, they're asking for the win or at least asking to be noticed - big personalities! And it's always nice to see an owner-handler win this show.

I'd have been equally pleased to see Ribbon (the Australian Shepard) or Cider (the English Setter) or Monty (the Giant Schnauzer) or Winston the Frenchie win either of the rosettes. I'm not a huge fan of the Pekingese breed; but at least Rummy was able to traverse the ring without panting, which is good.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:07 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/do...ow/ar-AA1b1IfA

The dog looks more like Wilford Brimley than Buddy Holly.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:50 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
........BTW, the pit bull (American Staffordshire Terrier) represented his breed and the terrier group well. It just goes to show these powerful dogs can be around strange dogs and people if they are well-trained. But like all dogs, they all need to be trained.
The AKC registered American Staffordshire terrier is a "Pitbull" that has been carefully bred for many generations to be even tempered, healthy, and easy to get along with. There's a big difference between a registered AKC Am Staff and a pitbull picked up for a few dollars out of a cardboard box at the grocery store parking lot, where the parents are a mystery and no one even knows who the grandparents are or what sort of temperament they had.

If a person really has their heart set on owning a pitbull, it is well worth spending the extra money on the purchase to buy from an AKC Am Staff hobbyist breeder who can tell you everything about every ancestor for 6-20 generations behind the dog, what they looked like, how they acted, what their health issues were. Genetics has a huge influence on behavior and if you want a breed that has the potential to be dangerous, get one where the temperament has been carefully bred for stability for many decades and many generations.

I'd stick my head inside the mouth of any Am Staff at a dog show, just like a lion tamer at the circus, but I sure won't say the same thing about any random mystery bred pit bull.

Old 05-11-2023, 01:26 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Loved "Trouble" the AmStaff! My son's dog prances just like him (she's a White Boxer/AmStaff mix). It was so fun to see that. Sniff/sob I miss her, we live far apart.

Buddy is adorable. All dogs are adorable!

Old 05-11-2023, 01:38 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The AKC registered American Staffordshire terrier is a "Pitbull" that has been carefully bred for many generations to be even tempered, healthy, and easy to get along with.
Even with sterling genetics/breeding dogs still end up being individual personalities. Not all of them want or can tolerate the show life. It would be cruel to subject the wrong temperament (not to mention the other participants) to the ring. Not all of them were intended to be outgoing showmen. One of my cattledogs met/exceeded the breed standard, was gorgeous, smart and eager to please, but the excitement and strain of competition/performance would render her a basket case. A quiet low key life in rural surroundings was all she wanted in life.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-11-2023 at 02:35 PM..

Old 05-14-2023, 01:45 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
Pekingese won the toy group…..loved Rummie

Old 05-14-2023, 02:14 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Even with sterling genetics/breeding dogs still end up being individual personalities. Not all of them want or can tolerate the show life. It would be cruel to subject the wrong temperament (not to mention the other participants) to the ring. Not all of them were intended to be outgoing showmen. One of my cattledogs met/exceeded the breed standard, was gorgeous, smart and eager to please, but the excitement and strain of competition/performance would render her a basket case. A quiet low key life in rural surroundings was all she wanted in life.
My newest pup is a retired show dog....and he's learned to be a family dog and living the good life. He completed all his titles...grand champion...and his breeder knew the pet life was the next step for him. He adapted well and having a resident dog already helped a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs