Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:56 PM

692 posts, read 3,856,563 times

Advertisements

I posted in the Atlanta section, but thought I'd post it here too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Someone that is interested in adopting Britches is going to be moving from Austin, TX to Atlanta, GA in just a few short months to go to school there.

She sounds very responsible and said "I fell in love with his face"; she sounds like a keeper with that alone. However I'm having some strange feelings about this one and I've never felt this way before about a foster. She's most likely going to be moving onto campus and they say they allow dogs into class with you (what a pain) http://www.pitbullforum.com/images/smiles/laugh.gif (broken link) I'm not sure how you get any work done! I'd want to play all day!!

I couldn't find any updated info on bans in GA. I've read they are banned, they should be, they aren't banned..I have no idea where else to look. I even went onto their city site and couldn't fine a thing.

Still not sure about the whole adoption, but I would like to know if he would even be aloud into Atlana and be safe. I hate to pass a good home up, but if I have him a little longer then so be it.

If anyone has any info to get me closer that would be AWESOME!

Thanks you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 02:14 PM

960 posts, read 1,688,956 times
Hmmm... did you confirm with the college or university that dogs are allowed on campus? In campus housing and in classes?
The only dogs I ever saw on campus, were service dogs. Albeit, my days as a student at university were a long time ago.
BTW...if you have strange feelings... trust your instincts.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:54 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
I really can't imagine that any dog, aside from a bona fide service dog, would be allowed in campus housing and in classes. That doesn't make sense. Some people are allergic to animal dander and are afraid of dogs -- how could a university allow something like that? If she is going to claim that he is a "service dog" but she has no real disability, please set her straight on behalf of those of us who truly are disabled.

Of course, I would have misgivings about allowing a college student to adopt. Their lives are in flux. I told my own college student son "don't you dare!" when he was talking about adopting a dog and he lives in his own apartment off-campus which does permit them. He adopted a cat instead, LOL, and admits now that it was the absolutely right decision.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Hmmm... did you confirm with the college or university that dogs are allowed on campus? In campus housing and in classes?
The only dogs I ever saw on campus, were service dogs. Albeit, my days as a student at university were a long time ago.
BTW...if you have strange feelings... trust your instincts.

I didn't get what school she was going to, but said they have been aloud to come to class with the students. She's suppose to call me back and we'll go from there.

More than anything I'm realy worried about the BSL in and around that area. She seems very nice and responsible as I posted above. I'm just not sure what experiance she has with bullies. If she were staying here It wouldn't be that huge of a deal for me. But the fact I know she's moving away makes my stomach turn. I'm not sure what to do...

Little things keep shooting through my mind..what'll happen if he gets away? Will he tun into a bait dog? If he DID happen to get away if he were picked up by AS would he be put down?

I have horrible anxiety and paranoia so that doesn't help the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I really can't imagine that any dog, aside from a bona fide service dog, would be allowed in campus housing and in classes. That doesn't make sense. Some people are allergic to animal dander and are afraid of dogs -- how could a university allow something like that? If she is going to claim that he is a "service dog" but she has no real disability, please set her straight on behalf of those of us who truly are disabled.

Of course, I would have misgivings about allowing a college student to adopt. Their lives are in flux. I told my own college student son "don't you dare!" when he was talking about adopting a dog and he lives in his own apartment off-campus which does permit them. He adopted a cat instead, LOL, and admits now that it was the absolutely right decision.
I don't think that's the case. From what I understand they are just aloud to bring their dog into class with them. Don't ask me. Lol I'm going to check it out and see what they say. That is if she even calls back.

As you said being a college student it only makes it that much harder. I've read by several people finding some where to live will also be terribly difficult.

She said she's a runner and his energy wouldn't be a problem. I know schedules are different, but having a dog is hard enough. A college student and a dog..idk I can't put her off just because of that. I'm going to wait to learn more about her and see what happends.

The BSL thing does really bother me though.

Last edited by TeddieXRuxpin; 06-23-2008 at 03:09 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 05:03 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,003 times
TeddieX---just as an aside, they just lifted a 25-year "pit bull" ban in Holland. Did you read about that? Seems the ban did nothing to lower the number of dog-bite incidents in the country.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:58 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,559,406 times
Keep us posted Teddie, I'm anxious to know the outcome of my little crush.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 PM

I didn't see that, but did see a similar one some where else. I do like that idea though! It DOESN'T make that big of a difference.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:09 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
This site gives BSL information for all states.

Punish the Deed, not the Breed!

BSL would not be my biggest concern. Adopting a dog to a college student would be....

Old 06-23-2008, 06:50 PM

From what I understand she's not a first year student, bt is going to GA to a better art academy. It's sitting all that well with me either, but I need to do a bit more searching before I just say "NO".

Thank you to everyone that has replied! Keep the info coming!

EDIT: Word Citizenpease give yourself a hug and kiss for me; please? I looke up tose citie and tre is BSLas cloe as .52 miles from the area she's going to be moving to. 'm both sad and super happy at the same time. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,471,642 times
It looks like Georgia has a law against dog-fighting, but I'm not seeing a ban on pit bulls:

Georgia O.C.G.A. § 16-12-37 (2006) Dogfighting | Animal Law Coalition

I'm just over the Georgia line in Jacksonville, Florida, and I don't think Georgia has a ban (neither does Florida with the grandfathered exception of Miami-Dade).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs